Live Q&A w/ Mariko Tamaki, writer of NEW SUPER-MAN, HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS, & More! Thurs, 4/9 @ 3:00pm PT/6:00pm ET

Live Q&A w/ Mariko Tamaki, award-winning writer, Thursday 4/9 @3pm PST/6pm ET!

Facebook

Starting Thursday, April 9th at 3 PST/6 EST, we’ll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with Mariko Tamaki, followed by a deep dive interview on DC Daily! Tamaki is the writer of many ground-breaking works, including Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass, Supergirl: Being Super (2018), as well as other meaningful and poignant titles exploring LGBTQ+ themes.

Please try to limit the number of questions asked to 1-2; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

What was it like to collaborate with her cousin? Does her background in performance art inform her work in comics?

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back at 3 PT/6 ET on Thursday, April 9th to read Mariko’s answers LIVE!

Find even more deep dive insights from Mariko herself on today’s episode of DC Daily:
Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 3.36.33 PM

12 Likes

Hello Mariko… Excited to read your take on Wonder Woman :slightly_smiling_face:. What can you reveal to us as far as the primary focus of your upcoming run?

7 Likes

Hello Mariko! I’m very excited about your run on Wonder Woman! I know that Maxwell Lord is the big bad, but what other villains are you excited about writing?

5 Likes

Hiya Mariko! Thanks for doing this! I’m a big fan of the DC Ink line of YA graphic novels and Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass is definitely on my to-read list! I just love the way these stories are presented, like the Mera and the Catwoman ones, there’s something really special, from the artwork to the stories. On the topic of queer representation in these types of stories, I was just recently reading the YA novel “George” by Alex Gino and was really moved by it. It got me thinking and hoping we’d see a YA graphic novel from DC focusing on one of our beloved LGBT heroes. Do you have a favorite one and would you like to write a similar uplifting graphic novel for them? :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Thank you for taking some time out to answer our questions. The question I have is if you could do another DC graphic novel which character would you like to write about?

4 Likes

Mariko,
Congrats on all your success. What were your first thoughts on being named the new Wonder Woman writer?

4 Likes

Hi Mariko Tamaki, what was it like writing supergirl as a teenage girl not a superhero(she is still a hero in the story though).
Thanks for taking time to answer questions!
April 7 2020 6:58pm
Also what is your advice for young writers?
Thanks again.
8:59pm

4 Likes

If one of the heroic characters you have written–Lara Croft, Kara Danvers, Jennifer Walters, Laura Kinney, Harley Quinn, and now Diana Prince–were to take a page from your book True Lies and write her own “Book of Bad Advice,” what half-truth anecdotes would you expect to find inside?

(Don’t worry: I said “one” so that you won’t be here all night!)

6 Likes

You were listed as one of the writers of the Supergirl CW episode Alex In Wonderland - What was your favorite scene you wrote for the episode or favorite section? Great job, it was a great episode!

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, Ms. Tamaki.

Do you have any plans to include Donna Troy or Cassie Sandsmark in your run on Wonder Woman?

6 Likes

Hello, Ms. Tamaki! I’m a big fan. What advice do you have for crafting LGBTQ+ narratives?

5 Likes

Hello Thank for coming.

I’m a big Tomb Raider fan.
So my question is if you could make a crossover between Lara and a DC character what character would that be?

2 Likes

Hello! I had the pleasure of meeting you last year and picking up Harley Quinn Breaking Glass which was fantastic! At the time there was mention of an upcoming Starfire YA graphic novel. I was wondering if this was still in the works and if there would be lgbt rep in the book, rather from Kory :eyes: or surrounding characters. Thank you so much for your time!

6 Likes

Hello, I’m looking forward to reading your take on Wonder Woman! If you could trade places with any fictional character, who would it be and why?

2 Likes

Welcome!

Have you got a dream project?

Any plans to give Donna Troy a story worthy of her?

6 Likes

I’ve talked with a bunch of people about your Wonder Woman and a lot of people are worried that your run will be fairly short due to post-death metal plans. How long do you intend for your Wonder Woman run to be? Also Wonder Woman recently got a new origin in Wonder Woman #750, will your run address any of those changes?

1 Like

Here’s a question I try to ask every new Wonder Woman or Titans writer:

Who is Donna Troy?

3 Likes

I guess there’s a few things. In terms of characters the focus is on Wonder Woman and Max Lord, who I think is a nice match up for WW. Also we’ve got the reveal of a NEW villain that I’ve been working on with my editors Paul Kaminski and Brittany Holzherr (just so you all don’t think all this comes from MY dark mind).

8 Likes

Mariko Tamaki in the house! :partying_face:
Welcome, and thanks for joining us!

6 Likes

There is a new villain. I feel like saying too much would be a reveal. I will say I’ve been watching everything from Dangerous Liaisons to the Dark Knight (I mean, again. I watch that movie like once a month). I wanted to bring in a villain that was connected to the DC world but had some novel features. So hopefully we’ve done that.

7 Likes