Live Q&A w/ Joëlle Jones, Comic Writer & Artist of CATWOMAN, BATMAN, & More, Tues 4/14 @5pm PT/8pm ET!

Love your Catwoman run.

1. Noticed you seem to make references to Latino Culture in Catwoman. Where do you get your inspiration from?

2. Totally feeling the Los Angeles vibe in Villa Hermosa, is VH inspired by LA?

5 Likes

What caused you to pursue becoming a comic book creator?

1 Like

I’m so glad that you have been enjoying what I have been working on, and that we got to meet at C2E2!
I have only really done one story arc for Catwoman, so I’ll say that one is my favorite :wink:

10 Likes

They aren’t really cutouts but two separate pieces. A yoke with cowl and the sleeveless suit underneath. I thought that through the different peek-a-boo spots that in the art you could more easily read the gesture lines even if the character is really small.
Hope that answers your question!

11 Likes

Hi Ms. Jones!
I hope you are safe and healthy.
Thanks for doing the q&a!

1. what did Catwoman look like in script form?
  2. You are a writer and a artist, what is your advice for people that want to be both?
    Also, I’ve read both Catwoman and Supergirl and they were terrific.
    8:04 pm 2020
2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to read my books and for reaching out with your questions!
I have always really loved the Darwyn Cooke run, it’s a fun balance of action and horror and I really enjoyed revisiting it before taking this book on.
I have a few books in mind that I’d like to try my hand at, but off the top of my head, maybe Constantine?

9 Likes

Hey Joëlle! Love your art style. I just wanna know, when will you do your own Batman run? Be safe and take care!

1 Like

Thanks!
It was in parts, I couldn’t help it :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Hi!
There are lots of characters that I would love to draw, it’s really hard to pick just one!
I would love to look really cool and blow you away with some great Lantern Corp answer but I’m embarrassed to admit I have never read any Green Lantern books, sorry.

7 Likes

Purple is my favorite color. And I like the purple Catsuit the best even though the modern stories are just as good as the others. Do you think you could implement the purple somehow later?! It would be cool to have a explanation for it, but it is not needed. Purple would make the book look cooler!

4 Likes

No problem.
My mind was think the obvious greed (orange) but I really think she’ll just be a green with her really strong will.

Thanks for answering

3 Likes

That is so sweet of you to say, thank you!
1-I think of Selina and Bruce having a deep and dramatic romance for each other in the best way!
2-I tried redesigning the suit but I would love to sketch out those luscious curls at some point!

11 Likes

Hello to you and yes, you should give it a try :wink:
1-For me the biggest challenge of both writing and drawing is getting so excited about what I want to draw that I have to slow down and write first, that and some days I want to write and have to draw and some days I have to write and only want to draw!
2-Sure why not!

6 Likes

I was pretty intimidated by the writing process at first but the more I do it seems to come more naturally, I hope!

I’ll try to post some sketches later on Insta. It’s hard since most of the stuff I’m working on at the moment hasn’t been announced and very top secret!

9 Likes

We’re okay with that…we can keep secrets like nobody’s business!

5 Likes

Hiya!
That’s a really good question!
I think one of Selina’s best qualities is her ability to adapt. She can easily flow from gangsters to high society and everything in between. This is what makes her so much fun to read!

12 Likes

Hi!
I tried to draw upon the excellent writers and artists that came before me. There are so many great stories that make up her character and background.
For the costume, I had a lot of influences but at the time it was probably the designer Helmut Lang.

6 Likes

Hiya Joëlle and thank you for doing this little Q&A with us! I really enjoy seeing new characters introduced into the DC Universe, some pretty big like Naomi, some smaller, like Mother Panic, and some, sadly, smaller yet like Alysia Yeoh. Do you have a character that’s completely your own that you really like that you’ve introduced or is it something you might be looking forward to?

5 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
I don’t currently have any plans for any conventions, given everything that is going on but I’m looking forward to getting back out there and enjoy some Florida sun!

5 Likes

No way! That is awesome!
I think my line of statues ends with the Catwoman wedding dress, I wish I could have done Big Barda though. I love her!

9 Likes