Live Q&A w/ Joëlle Jones, Comic Writer & Artist of CATWOMAN, BATMAN, & More, Tues 4/14 @5pm PT/8pm ET!

Miss the Q&A? That’s okay! You can still enjoy Joëlle Jones’ work all this week by joining the World of Bats Book Club, reading Copycats (2018) right meow! (I couldn’t resist.)

Jones_Facebook
Starting Tuesday, April 14th at 5pm PT/8pm ET, we’ll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with the inimitable Joëlle Jones, writer and artist across many titles, including DC’s Catwoman (2018), Batman (2016), and the Eisner award winning series Lady Killer (2015). This is To be followed by a deep dive interview on DC Daily!

Please try to limit the number of questions asked to 1-2; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

What was it like transitioning into writing and illustrating? Does she have any sketches she can share with us?

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back at 5pm PT/8pm ET on Tuesday, April 14th to read Joëlle’s answers LIVE!

6 Likes

I have always loved your art, but I have really grown to enjoy your writing as well. I was able to meet you at C2E2 when you were there, and you were absolutely wonderful! What was your favorite story arc that you did on Catwoman?

8 Likes

I only have one question: in your costume redesign for Catwoman, what’s the story behind the armpit cut-outs?

5 Likes

First off, just want to say thanks for coming over and talking with us. Really enjoyed your work on Catwoman (that I’ve read so far with DCU) as well as Lady Killer. :slight_smile:

Some questions:

1. What would you say are the iterations or previous runs on Catwoman that most inspired you and informed your run on Catwoman?

2. Are there other dream books that you are itching to do, whether at DC, Marvel or somewhere else?

And hey, if you’re not scared off by us yet, the Batman Book Club that I’m running for this month is going into the first arc of your run on Catwoman this week! Here’s the link if you or anyone else wants to take a look.

4 Likes

Hello Joëlle,
I really like the new Catwoman catsuit, was the look based on Batman Returns Catwoman suit?

4 Likes

Hello, thanks for coming

So my questions are…

Are there any DC Characters you haven’t done that you have wanted to work on?

And a fun one. What Lantern Corps do you think Catwoman would be sort of?

3 Likes

Hello Joëlle,

I really loved your Catwoman run. Not only is your art impeccable but your story was definitely a beautiful one to read. My questions are:
1- How do you imagine Selina views Bruce in her life, in terms of a romantic partner and potential husband?
2- You are one of the definitive Catwoman artists, will you please one day post a drawing of Catwoman from the 90’s in her Jim Balent suit? I know many fans would love to see how you draw it!

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Will be keeping an eye on your future projects, you have a bright future! Hope you get to write and draw Catwoman again!

4 Likes

Hello Mrs. Jones, I have not read your work yet, but I have many friends that have praised your work and say that it is an amazing take on the character. I hope to start reading it as soon as I get the chance and likely praise it as well in time

My Questions

1. What are some of the challenges of writing and drawing
  2. Would you be willing to do a Batgirl book later down the line?
5 Likes

Hi, thank you for Q&Aing with us today!

I have a couple of questions that I stole (Catwoman style):

What was it like transitioning into writing and illustrating?

Do you have any sketches that you can share with us?

:catwoman_hv_1:

5 Likes

Selina has been a batrogue, an antihero, a member of the batfam, an independent adventurer and so much more. What role do you think best allows her to thrive as a character?

3 Likes

As the current artist for Catwoman, what are some of your personal inspirations for creating Catwoman’s personality and designs?

4 Likes

Hi Joelle, I really enjoyed your run on Catwoman this past year. I wanted to know if you go to Comic Cons, would you ever come to one in the South maybe Florida sometime?

Hi Joelle - I love your work and have all of the pieces in your DC Direct statue line. Any chance of getting more? Would love a Big Barda!

3 Likes

Hi Joëlle! I’m a huge fan of your Catwoman run, Lady Killer, and your work on Batman.

1. I love that Villa Hermosa was a sort of fun-house-mirror version of LA. What about VH/ LA did you think would make for the purfect setting for a Catwoman story?

2. Raina Creel is a terrible villain in the best way possible. What did you enjoy the most about creating her and was there anything that surprised you about her as she developed in the story? (Ps- I’d love to see her revived. Cat’s 9 lives vs the immortal Raina Creel?)

4 Likes

Thank you for answering some of our questions. I have noticed that you both draw and write for comics so my question is if you could only do one which would you choose to do?

1 Like

Hi Joëlle!
I absolutely adore your art style. The attention to detail, the smooth flow of the lines…all incredibly pleasing to my eyes. I love your work on “Supergirl: Being Super” which quickly became one of my all-time favorite Supergirl stories. Just gorgeous-looking all around.

My question for you is…

If ever given the chance, how would you feel about working on a Gotham City Sirens run?

Judging by your work on “Catwoman”, I think you would do an amazing job!
And I personally would love to see Harley and Ivy drawn in your style.

6 Likes

Yes! We need a new Gotham City Sirens book!

What about Birds of Prey?

5 Likes

What’s your dream DC character-- other than Catwoman?

1 Like

Hello Joëlle,
I just want to say that I love your Catwoman and Lady Killer comics and I would like to ask, will there be any updates to Lady Killer?
Thank you for your time :smiley:

3 Likes

Love your work! What visual styles (and if examples that would be amazing) or (even if that means going outside of sequential art/comics) do you go to for inspiration, and get you excited as an art FAN?

2 Likes