Live Q&A w/ DC Publishing Staff of ROUND ROBIN, Tues 4/6 @12pm PT/3pm ET!

I’ve got a few of today’s brand-new comics from DC at my side. :wink:

alternates between reading the Q&A and Suicide Squad #2

7 Likes

Oat milk latte here. Just got off work.

6 Likes

Ooh! :yum:

6 Likes

Fun Fact @Reaganfan78: When someone asks me what’s for lunch or dinner and Arby’s is on my brain, I channel my inner David Puddy and say “Feels like an Arby’s night.”

I’d wear the 8-ball jacket, but I don’t have one, plus I like to retain my dignity, so there’s no way I’m wearing that thing anyway.

bites into a digital Arby’s roast beef sammich

Nummy! :drooling_face:

6 Likes

Hey everyone! DC Round Robin staff here- we’re all going to be using one account to respond, but we’ll add our initials to indicate who’s talking. Kinda like this:

AM: Hey hey, my name is Andrew Marino, and I’m an associate editor here at DC! I’m the editor on Robins, Blue Beetle: Graduation Day, Jesse Quick: Control, and Lobo/Animal Man: Scorched Earth. Outside of work, I love rock climbing and competing in ninja warrior competitions, and at work I’m the Bad Boy of Comics.

KK: YO! My name is Katie Kubert and I’m the editor in charge of DC’s Global Publishing Innovation group (we’ve brought you/will bring the wonders of DC’s Round Robin, Let them Live: Unpublished Tales of the DC Vault, Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point, Batman '89, Superman '78 and additional goodies). I’m the proud shepherd of The Brave and the Bug, Paws off the Justice League, Asteria: The Last Amazon, and Nightrunner: Love in Paris. I am a super nerd for dinosaurs and horror movies.

MMc: Hi, all! I’m Michael McCalister. I’m the editor for Green Lanterns: Underworld on Fire, Suicide Squad Seven, Son of The Creeper and JLQ! Outside of work I’m a big theatre nerd with a love for all things Aquaman!

LE: Liz is too cool for intros. Hey everybody! I’m Liz Erickson, associate editor. I’m the editor on Etta Candy, Holliday Hero Inc., Superman & Lois: Ignition, Swamp Thing: A House of Secrets, and Zatanna and the King of Nightmares.

I also love Broadway, and apparently everyone knows I have a lot of stories about bears.

Can’t wait to dive in!!

18 Likes

AM & MM: We’re thrilled with the fan response, and thanks for voicing these important questions. We didn’t anticipate that some fans would see JLQ’s inclusion in DC Round Robin as controversial, nor was it our intention to ask fans to rally votes for queer representation in comics. DC currently publishes LGBTQIA+ characters and storylines In comics like BATMAN, HARLEY QUINN, SUICIDE SQUAD, FAR SECTOR, WONDER WOMAN, ACTION COMICS, and more. For JLQ specifically, the volume of votes and the personal notes that have been shared online all send a great message that fans want to see a pitch like JLQ succeed, so stay tuned for news about where you might see JLQ appear in the future! We’re listening! We’ll continue to keep pushing for positive representation across all of our projects.

KK: Andrew and Michael could not have said it better. I did want to mention how important representation is on the page as it is behind it – engaging LGBTQIA+ creators was a big goal for us as well across many of these pitches, and while can’t reveal the teams until next round, we’re excited to welcome talent both new and old to DC’s ROUND ROBIN.

17 Likes

AM: Happy to be here! The winning Round Robin title will become a standard six-issue miniseries.

KK: YAY!! We in the Global Publishing Innovation group are all about trying new things and really experimenting with new ways to get fans engaged with our content. So glad you’re digging this idea!

13 Likes

MMc: Thanks! Hope you are having a blast voting for your favorites!

LE: Hey, TheQuestion! That’s not a question. Irony! I love it, also, you’re welcome.

12 Likes

AM: I think for, there have always been titles I’ve wanted to do. What Round Robin has allowed me on an editorial side, is go out and get pitches for projects and characters I’ve always wanted to do create. There’s so many incredible characters in our stable with great stories still to be told. and I want to help show them off to the world! Man, there was a lot of coordination on the JL: Totality books.

Thankfully, all of the JL books were within my group at the time with our incredible boss, Marie Javins, as the group editor at the time. Our writers on those books planned a lot of the coordination across the titles with us, so after a number of emails and phone calls, we all had our stories planned out. So then it was a matter of telling those stories. We always stayed in constant contact though on the editorial side, and made sure we all knew what was going on with the books at all times. It helps when you have morning meetings all together haha!

LE: Absolutely! Marie Javins once accidentally pitched an excellent series called BOOSTER GOLD’S GARAGE SALE. It never went anywhere because it was a joke, had no plot, and I was the only one who wanted to read it, and I think about it daily.

KK: Oh man, I think you’d be hard pressed to find an editor who doesn’t have their WHITE WHALE…their passion project that’s been simmering in the back of their skull for the last x number of years that will SOME HOW, SOME WAY see the light of day (this is how LET THEM LIVE: UNPUBLISHED TALES FROM THE DC VAULT came about!). Luckily we’re a pretty passionate group of people who don’t let go of things very easily, so I will get my [REDACTED: SEE JULY '21 SOLICITS] someday.

16 Likes

KK: One of the trickiest parts of crafting the pitches for this series was taking into consideration the things that were in development in the main DCU line but have just not been announced yet. So all those Harley/Ivy stans, just be patient (and look to the Bat group!!).

AM: We tried to cast all of the pitches to touch on every corner of the DCU. Leaving out someone from the Super-Family, Bat-Family, or Wonder-Family would’ve left off some incredible characters, so we tried to give you characters adjacent to the Big 3 or tell stories with pairings you haven’t seen before! There’s a variety of pitches here, many of which were created with this competition in mind. But my Blue Beetle pitch is with a team I’ve wanted to tell this specific story with for a long time. Blue Beetle rules!

KK: Most of the pitches were created specifically for this competition as a way for us to highlight characters we as editors just really plain loved. Or wanted to see more of. Or wanted to see a specific creator’s take on. Some had been percolating in an editor’s brain for a bit. Some we thought would honestly just be awesome.

KK: We’ve got so many good ideas with what to do with the pitches that don’t advance rounds…these were all labors of love from both the editors and, more importantly, from the creators…and so we’re working to figure out the best way to showcase all the hard work everyone did to create this competition, and how best to give the fans what they want!

LE: We really wanted to make sure there was something for everybody–new twists on stories with familiar characters, and spotlighting characters we think are AMAZING and deserving of more attention. And we should totally do Ambush Bug presents Ambush Bug! We could see how meta Elliott Kalan can get before our brains explode.

MMc: Rex, I also remember a time when the word queer was seen as a derogatory term. Fortunately in the past two decades this has turned around to be something more positive in our community. It is a great example of taking ownership and spinning it in a positive fashion.

13 Likes

This is great to hear! Thank you!

:00_dc_pride:

11 Likes

Can I just say I’d also read this story? I imagine Booster would have a lot of weird stuff to sell, and I’m sure his reasonings for selling said items would be sadly hilarious.

8 Likes

LE: It’s very cool to be making it! We loved having the chance to make more off-the-wall ideas with some of our favorite creators, and we were excited to see what made the internet excited as well!

11 Likes

MMc: Part of the fun of our bracket has been pitting ourselves against each other. There’s nothing like some friendly competition to spark some heated debates in our staff meetings!

10 Likes

AM: It’s been an absolute blast getting to put this together. I’m really looking forward to holding it over Katie, Michael, and Liz’s heads when one of my pitches wins!

9 Likes

As an ardent Booster Gold fan, I would LOVE to read that!

I created a character named Marshmallow Pete and “Booster Gold’s Garage Sale” is just the kind of tale he’d fit right into!

Maybe Booster Gold’s Garage Sale could be in Round Robin volume 2? Pretty please, with Skeets on top? :00_booster_gold:

9 Likes

LE: Is this a short joke, Andrew Marino? Let it be known that the self-styled Bad Boy of Comics hates short people.

8 Likes

KK: Honestly, this was something that originally came out of Marie Javins’ brain, then Jim Lee added the bracket component, and Team GPI built it into what you see today. I wish I could have stacked the deck so ALL OF THEIR PITCHES LOSE, but hey, I’m a benevolent and fair leader.

10 Likes

AM: I don’t hate anyone, Liz! Loving and respecting people is the baddest thing you can do and that’s what makes me the Bad Boy of Comics.

8 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you so much for this. I think “all of them” has been a very common theme since this idea was first revealed.

6 Likes