Live Q&A w/ Comic Writer Marguerite Bennett, Monday 10/28 2:30pm-3:30pm PST!

8beuUZv8cvH5m
Unfortunately I have to work but I’ll catch up later tonight to see how the event went.
I love reading bombshells and I got my girlfriend hooked on it as well.

6 Likes

What’s it like being known for such a huge comic? Especially with the impact it has with queer teens?

3 Likes

Hi, Marguerite I have a question someone keeps telling me that compared to Dick Grayson, Damien Wayne is a HORRIBLE Robin. I firmly disagree with this, I’d love to get your opinion.
Thanks
ps: Great job with jokers daughter.

3 Likes

Hello hello! First of all, you are great for doing this!

Second, do you have a favorite character to work with?

1 Like

I broke down crying during the Miriam Marvel reveal.
What was your inspiration behind giving the Bombshells version of Mary Marvel that background?

3 Likes

It was great meeting you at NYCC DCHQ. My Sansa Stark Batwoman cosplay was this weekend and it went well. I’ve been reading more of your comics and enjoying them. image

3 Likes

I love Bombshells so much. Thank you for this fantastic series. But it did feel it had to rush to an ending in United, would there ever be a chance of going back to flesh it out more?

2 Likes

Hi everyone, we’ll be getting started here in a bit- thanks for joining Marguerite today!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for having me, I really appreciate being here, and I cannot wait to answer your questions! :relaxed:

11 Likes

:relaxed::sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Yes, we need Bombshells 3! Add more characters, too, recent one like Naomi!

5 Likes

@MargueriteBennett
How did you get your start writing comic books?
What is the best advice you have received?
What advise can you give to someone who wants to start writing/drawing comics?
If you were a superhero or villain what would you want your powers to be?

4 Likes

It was fantastic working on Kamandi Challenge, I’d never been part of something like that before, and it gave me a chance also to work with Bill Sienkiewicz and Dan Jurgens, and all the artists. It was an absolute treat. I’d be happy to do something like that again!

If I were to change it, it might be fun to do something where we were each given the same prompt, and tasked with running a different story, but also it was just fantastic as an Exquisite Corpse. I’d never done something like that before, and I had a blast!

I don’t think you can go wrong with whatever premise you choose, when you’re working with writers and artists of that caliber you’re always going to turn out something fun. I mean, I never guessed that James Tynion IV was going to have a giant monster robot God in the Amazon, or Steve’s Communist bear God-city, but I loved it!

It would be very selfish of me to add myself to the roster a second time through, but I suppose the only people I disqualify would be the people who participated the first time through. So, it would be another DC All-Star team. But I’d love to have anyone who wanted to participate in it, enthusiasm is the best motivator.

8 Likes

When writing an Elseworlds type story like Bombshells, how do you find the best fit for iconic characters in this new world that you’re putting together yourself? Do you look for inspiration in the research you do, does it come from messages you want to tell in your story or does it just fly in from outta nowhere? Thank you so much for doing this!

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind words! James was a massive help with all of that. It’s one of the best parts of getting to work with the people that you love. James and I would go to Mediterranean restaurants, order a bottle of red wine, and talk about superheroes - And that was our Batwoman process!

We definitely wanted a multicultural hideaway. You know, one of these places that would take all comers. Act as a haven for people that have been cast out of other nations, and it was a place that could belong to all people, and belong to no one else. That’s where Batwoman washes up. This is the crossroads of her life.

Safiyah is doing her best by her own personal moral code. I think that she was the best and worst thing to happen to Kate at that point in her life, which is exactly what I wanted. She is doing the best to be there for the people under her care, and I can’t fault her for that, even though the things that she does can be abominable, and ruthless. But I think that’s also true for Kate.

8 Likes

Oh, and I guess I didn’t say this for whatever reason, but your work is amazing!

4 Likes

That’s a very good question, and honestly the answer is different for every single project. The best thing for me is to start by getting on Skype, or email, or text message with the artist, and ask them what they want from me. That influences how to write the script, because I want to tailor make them for the artist. I feel like the artist does the best work when they’re happiest, and so I ask, “What do you want from me? What do you never want to see from me? How do you feel about horses, how about cars, how about spiral staircases, hands? Do you like double page spreads, do you hate having to block fight scenes, do you want me to take that off the plate, or, you being the master of visual craft, want to take that over and have full control over that?” I try and let the artist direct how we’re going to put together the book. They’re my full collaborator, and I want to make sure that their work is to its best advantage.

12 Likes

Guys, this is one of the best, most informative responses I’ve ever seen to this type of question.

Thank you, Ms Bennett

9 Likes

6 Likes

Who (or what) was your favorite part to write about Beyond The Grid.

3 Likes