Live Q&A w/ Comic Writer Marguerite Bennett, Monday 10/28 2:30pm-3:30pm PST!

[Join our Live Q&A with DC Bombshells writer Marguerite Bennett, Monday 10/28 @2:30pm PST/5:30pm EST!]

Proof!

(Live Q&A w/ Comic Writer Marguerite Bennett, Monday 10/28 2:30pm-3:30pm PST!)

Starting Monday, October 28th at 2:30pm PST, we’ll be hosting a live Q&A with the DC Bombshell herself, Marguerite Bennett! She’ll be joining us LIVE for one hour from her very own verified account to answer YOUR questions about her start in comics, her take on the babes of DC, and any other questions you’d like to ask.

Be sure to add your question in the comments below, and come back here at 2:30pm PST next Monday to find out the answers!

19 Likes

17 Likes

Love this really great

6 Likes

Hi Marguerite! It was great meeting you at the #DCUHQ at NYCC! I asked you about the three loves of Batwoman, and a little about Victoria October. (Anticipating her comeback any day now. Don’t let met down, James!)

I have a multi-part question about the round robin Kamandi Challenge you participated in:

1. What was it like working on Kamandi Challenge?
  2. Would you do anything like that again?
  3. What would you change about the process if you could?
  4. What would make for another good base premise? (Provided it was still a DC project.)
  5. What talent would you want to bring in on it?
5 Likes

Hello and thank you for joining us for Q&A!

In issue #16 of Batwoman 2017, Batwoman defeats Batman by using his weakness against him. I was floored and surprised by what his weakness is. I won’t mention the weakness directly so as not to spoil the moment for others. But Wow! Bravo! Great job! I thought that was brilliant.

• What was the inspiration for Coryana?

• Do you consider Safiyah a hero, a villain, or somewhere in between?

• What is the best part about writing for Batwoman?

Thank you!

8 Likes

GOD, what a great scene. One of my all-time favorite Batman fights.

3 Likes

Hi Ms Bennett. Do you prefer full scripts, short plots first, detailed plots first, or do you work it out with each individual cartoonist/illustrators and go from there?

5 Likes

Hi Marguerite! So happy you are doing this Q&A! The Bombshells comic is one of my favorites from DC’s recent history and as a Batwoman fan it was so wonderful seeing Kate brought to life in such a beautiful way. As someone who’s had a big hand in Batwoman’s stories, have you seen the new CW Batwoman series and what do you think of Ruby Rose’s portrayal of Kate Kane? Spoiler alert: I think she’s awesome :laughing:

9 Likes

So excited for this one!!!

4 Likes

Hi!
Bombshells is easily the comic I have recommended the most to friends who aren’t already knee deep in comics, I love it so much!
Would you ever be interested in a musical adaptation? I love the idea of mixing so many cultural styles of music, the costumes would be stunning, and Supergirl getting her flight back almost reads like a big solo before the intermission!

6 Likes

First off, thanks for coming on, really enjoyed your Bombshells and Batwoman runs. :slight_smile:

What I’m curious about was how were you approached to do Bombshells. I always thought it was interesting how adapting a line of statues meant to invoke classical 40s/50s pin-up style became a book about the darker side of WWII, from the PTSD, war crimes, and even the Japanese Internment Camps. What made you decide to approach those topics, and was there any initial pushback?

8 Likes

Hello, Ms. Bennett! Thank you for joining us for this Q&A.

What inspired you to write Bombshells?

Whose idea was it to write the Supergirl and Lois relationship, and why exactly? Also, thank you! I never realized I needed it in my life until you wrote. :smile:

8 Likes

And on that note (what @Jay_Kay said), and this is something I touched on when we did our book club on the first few issues of the original Bombshells for Pride Month, I found it so wonderful how this story was based on figures meant to evoke this old art style that objectified women for the male gaze, and yet the story and the artwork empowered them and the characters owned and reclaimed that label. I love that your work on Bombshells showed real female relationships and sisterhood. And it deservedly got that GLAAD nomination, which I wish it had won! I guess this isn’t really a question, I just wanted to gush about the book, because Batwoman is my favorite character and this book is very important to me! Thank you.

6 Likes

Hi!

Thank you for your time in answering all of these questions, especially with you having a busy schedule!

I am an up and coming writer who’s end goal is to be writing/creating comics one day for a living. But I am very doubtful in my writing skills and creativity. I understand it is a problem that an individual must over come by themselves, but I was wondering if you ever had such an issue, and if there were ways in which you coped or even overcame this obstacle in order to be the great writer that you are now.

Thank you for your time once again!!! And keep up the amazing work!!!

4 Likes

Hello! Thank you for doing this! I wanted to ask, what inspires you? What is your writing process like? Any advise for someone who wants to come into the comic book writing world?

3 Likes

Hi, Marguerite.

How are you?

How are you, really?

That’s it. I’ve enjoyed your work so far. Can’t wait to hear about what’s next.

-With Confidence,
Adrean

4 Likes

Good afternoon! Thank you for joining us! I was wondering with Bombshells, what was it like to take these powerful woman and to put them into a time when woman empowerment was really just starting to be recognized?

3 Likes

Is there a DC character that you have been wanting to write, but have yet to?

Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions. :slight_smile:

6 Likes