Live Q&A w/ Brian Michael Bendis, Wed, 4/29 @3pm PT/6pm ET!

I miss Kid Jon and Super Sons. Aging Jon up was a big mistake that I hope gets Crisis’d out.

4 Likes

Big fan (duh). What do you read when you’re NOT writing a gazillion things? What inspires you currently or in your formative years?

3 Likes

Good day! I’m a big fan, thanks so much for coming by.

1. What are the chances of you taking a run through the Bat side of the DCU in the foreseeable future? I loved Batman Universe, all the Bat stuff in Event Leviathan and also your Jason Todd.

2. And speaking of Batverse stuff, will Talia and Damian be taking up long term residence in your side/the Superside of DC? I ask because Damian’s future seems tied to the future in Legion and of course Talia is making her presence known with the Leviathan plot.

4 Likes

What was your inspiration for The Teen Lantern? I think she is cool character.

1 Like

Hi Mr. Bendis, thanks for doing this!
I hope that you and your family are safe and healthy.

1. What is your advice for young writers?
  2. Did you always want to be a writer?
    Who came up with Cassie’s costume? Is there a story behind it?
    3:58pm 4/29/2020
    Thanks again, Mr. Bendis!
    Side note: Anyone want popcorn and other refreshments?
4 Likes

I’ve been a fan since way back when Ultimate Spider-Man #1 came out and am greatly enjoying your DC run now! Legion of Super Heroes is amazing! Since that time and before you came on board at DC, I’ve always wanted to see your take on DC characters.

My question is: Do you ever wish you came into writing for DC earlier in your career or do you feel that only recently was the right time to make the transition? I hope to be reading your DC output for many years to come!

2 Likes

Hey Brian! I hope you and your family are doing well during this pandemic. As a father of adopted children, when can we expect a story from you with Perry and Alice White’s son, Keith? He was the ring bearer at Lois and Clark’s wedding, surely he was a big brother figure for Jon.

3 Likes

Hello, Mr. Bendis! Longtime fan, from way back Alias/Ultimate Spider-Man days! I’m really enjoying your work in Young Justice right now, and I hope you’ll be able to keep Stephanie Brown around for a while - I’ve really enjoyed all you’ve done with her since issue #5 (with the fabulous Kris Anka flashbacks!) I am curious - what inspired you to bring back Young Justice, and what research did you do to prepare for writing it?

2 Likes

Hello Bendis! I hope your eye is healing well.

Question #1: I have asked this question to a couple of other creators here, and now I’ll ask you. As one of the writers announced for the originally-planned specials, can you tell me (to the best of your ability) the status of DC’s Generation initiative and how that might factor into Death Metal and what’s coming up in Legion of Super-Heroes.

Question #2: In Action Comics #1015, Naomi McDuffie (great last name for her) is referred to by Batman(?) as a ‘Power’ instead of DC’s usual term of Metahuman. Will that be addressed at any point down the road or was that a nod to your Powers series (or potentially even a goof in the script).

2 Likes

Bendis is the main reason why I started buying comics again (after a brief hiatus while in college) when I saw he was moving to DC (so thanks a lot for reawakening this obsession, lol). It’s well known at my local comic book store that ANYTHING that comes out with his name on it gets added to my pull list. I discovered and loved his Batman Universe miniseries, does he plan on writing any more Batman in the future? What other books will be in his future? I can’t imagine myself being a fan of any characters outside of the Bat-family, but I ended up liking Moon Knight, Daredevil, and the Avengers when prior to his work none of those characters interested me in the slightest. Finally on one of the DC Daily at home interviews from a week or two ago I saw his personal copy of the Gotham Central hardcover collection in the background, and was hoping he could put a word in with the higher ups to get that series restarted since it’s one of my favorite books of all time. He doesn’t even have to write it, Brubaker and Rucka did an amazing job and it deserves a much wider audience than it has, please get on that, thanks.

2 Likes

Hey!

What do you find the most challenging about writing the Man of Steel?

Favorite scene from anything DC related that you’ve written so far?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey Mr. Bendis! Thank you for answering our questions, I hope you and your family are safe and well. I’m really enjoying you an Ryan Sook’s take on the Legion of Super-Heroes. As a gay Legion fan, I’m very eager to see queerness represented in the team. Can we expect to see Legionnaires embodying a 31st century view of sexuality and gender identity?

1 Like

Hello Bendis, when will you make Young Justice and SHAZAM! crossover?

3 Likes

Huge Fan of your work!

1. I have a question about Legacy Characters! I’m a huge fan of legacy characters. I love all of the robins and the different green lanterns. Also all of the stuff happening with Jonathan Kent and the Legion of Superheroes. There have been some rumors about a 5th generation event with some legacy characters is that still happening? Are there plans to do more with Jonathan Kent after Legion of Superheroes?
  2. What was your inspiration for the Red Cloud and the invisible mafia? I think they are excellent ideas for a superman story and really made me excited about reading superman comics again!
    Thank You! Please keep up the great work and positive attitude!!
2 Likes

Hello Mr. Bendis. .

My questions are:

1 - Considering there’s so much story potential in revealing Superman’s identity, what ideas shot to your mind first when you decided to do it?

2 - When you were changing Tim’s name from Red Robin to Drake, what was your process when choosing the new identity? Were there any other names considered?

Love your work! Also, as a big fan of Tim and Stephanie, thanks for some great moments!

2 Likes

Hi Mr Bendis

First thing. Thank you for giving Kara love in the upcoming Action Comics. I can’t wait to read it.

My question is related to that. Is there anything you can share in regards to DCs plan for Kara Zor-El after her guest play in Action?

3 Likes

Hi Mr Bendis! My questions are what influenced you to leave Marvel and join DC, giving it its own webslinger?

Also I enjoyed reading Event Leviathan and how you wrote Jason Todd a complex character in his own right. So my question is, given all the characters that appeared in that series, (given you left Marvel for DC and you had to do research on said characters in DC) who was the most difficult character to write?

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Bendis, thanks for taking time to do this. Was looking forward to seeing you at WonderCon this year. Would love to see you at San Diego Comic-Con, maybe in 2021? Legion World (an online community Legion fan club and message board) has a fan table at SDCC every year and we’d love for you to check us out.

My questions are obviously Legion-related.

Will we ever have a full Legion roll call or who’s who? Either in the book itself or maybe an extra Secret Files type book. While we know most of them, we don’t know everybody and the wait and slow roll out (especially under the current circumstances) is getting frustrating. Just a quick list, even in Interlac on a page would be cool.

Speaking of knowing the membership. Legion of Super-Heroes: Millennium #2 ‘showed’ us an Invisible Kid named “Lyle” - presumably Lyle Norg the first Invisible Kid, but in Legion of Super-Heroes #5, an Invisible Kid appears Frichtman tagged as “Jaques Foccart,” the second Invisible Kid. Are there two Invisible Kids or was the first one a mistake?

I’m loving the new series, but obviously want more. Can’t wait to see issue #6. The art and designs have been beautiful. Monster Boy is my new favorite so far. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Hi Mr. Bendis!
I was just wondering when we might see Superboy Prime in Young Justice? Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Hello! I am a big fan of all of your work! I loved your work on Ultimate Spider-man, Daredvil, Leviathan, Legion, and Superman! Do you prefer to write long run stories that go 20 or more issues or do you like writing mini/maxi series?!

3 Likes