LIVE Q&A: Director of DCU All Star Games Jon Lee Brody! Friday, April 3rd @7:00pm PST/10:00pm EST

“Oh hi there, sorry I’m late. I was so busy…rearranging my sock drawer and staring wistfully at the window.”

5 Likes

I’d like to have our OG cast come back. But yes absolutely I have others in mind. And I may or may not have pinged a couple of them to see what they think. We shall see! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

We were originally scheduled as a 5 episode first season. But then a 6th episode was discovered as we went through post. And is also serves as an epilogue of sorts too.

8 Likes

Thank you! I love that you like the show! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would like to take an opportunity to ask a question, hope it’s okay!

Do you ever play D&D, and if so, what’s your favorite kind of character to play? Or, put another way, what’s your alignment? :woman_mage:

4 Likes

I’ll play anything thats associated with the batman animated series! But thats not up to me. But your idea of self contained episodes with different games is a great idea. And one that i thought of as well!

And yes there is absolutely a way we can play remotely while quarantined. I’m actually testing out some tech as we speak just to be ahead of the game.

As far as season two? I really hope so!

6 Likes

With you being such a huge DC fan and working with friends on this show, how much input did you have when it came to what characters might show up? Any chance you’ll be on the other side of the camera for season 2?

3 Likes

Welcome to DC Universe @crailus.5719!:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I loved Monopoly even tho we never finished a game. and of course CLUE! But I actually discovered RPG early thanks to my older brother. As a shy awkward kid (and in all fairness I’m a shy awkward adult) having some sort of escapism by embodying a character was so cool to me. so I’ll just say RPG’s in general.

And wow. loaded question on my fav DC character. I love the entire universe so much. But I love Superman because my first memory is watching the 1978 movie. But i also love Nightwing. However, since Supes had a codename of Nightwing in Pre-Crisis when he went to the city of Kandor I think i’m allowed to say both Nightwing and Superman! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Absolutely wanna bring in our GEGGHEAD fam! Especially if we can bring in “Kid” Rio Magdaleno. Because he just might screw over Freddie in the game. haha

As far as advice. I’d just say just keep doing it. Keep creating. I went a long time without work but it didn’t stop me from creating. I look at creativity as a muscle. Use it or lose it. If you were a basketball player and you didn’t work on your jumpshot, then your game will suffer. So I say always create something. Write something or film something everyday. Stay sharp. And stay ready. Because when your number is called you gotta act fast. Happy to answer this question further anytime. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

Excellent points!! I’m a big fan of Critical Role and Harmonquest. Those shows actually inspired Freddie and myself to do RPG for our channel GEGGHEAD (www.youtube.com/GEGGHEAD). And we followed the format of the 2-3 hour livestreams.

The idea of half hour programming came to us during rehearsal. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting that. Neither was Sam. I was like ‘wait. can we do that?’. But I enjoyed the challenge. Because if you’re not being challenged you’re not growing. So I attacked it like shooting a multi-camera sitcom juxtaposed with a game show.

And what I appreciated about the suggestion was that it was an opportunity to put it in a format that would appeal to an audience outside of RPG enthusiasts. So in a way I wanted this to be a show that anyone could enjoy. and possibly get people who weren’t into RPGs to get into RPGs.

6 Likes

That’s exactly what a lot of the fans around the forums are saying! That it’s not usually their “bag”, but made them want to get into it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I mean the fact that I’m a director for DC in and of itself is unreal to me. Like i said, I’m a lifelong fan. And let alone doing a pilot! But my favorite part was coming up with the story with Sam and trying to help him in shaping it. He may say my karate is a joke but my love and knowledge of DC isnt. heh heh. And just working with friends and the best crew ever. It was just awesome. And I really hope we can do more.

5 Likes

Well you sure did, now I want to play one!:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Rosey is actually a buddy of mine. And I’ll tell you something I didn’t tell anyone before. My initial idea for DC Heroes (before we pitched it to DCU) was I was going to reunite the Justice League Unlimited cast and have them play with the Teen Titans cast. That was my ambitious idea. And I have the good fortune of being friends with both casts. I had talked to Michael about it as well as Susan Eisenberg and others. Perhaps we can find something for them down the line.

And thank you so much for your kind words. I really love that you got into the show. And i promise you if we get a season two i promise to bring even more epicness!

6 Likes

Yes it was. Which was a great challenge too. It was a very experimental workflow and concept. So we had a lot on the line. But then I thought of the likes of Roger Corman who shot the original little shop of horrors in two days. I knew we could do it. And I feel like we discovered a new way of doing things which is pretty cool.

As far as retakes. Sorta. It was important to me not to mess up the flow of the game. The more the players and everyone are feeling it the better the story and also the more authentic it is. After we wrapped the campaign I did have them do a couple other things just to be safe so we’d protect ourselves in the edit. But a lot of what you watch is simply what we captured.

3 Likes

So cool that you think this is cool! thank you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hope you let Alfred have a bigger role in season 2, I would like to see more of him then serving drinks.:slightly_smiling_face::tropical_drink:

3 Likes

Whats up! Everyone please give it up for [redacted]! She is the reason I’m here and she keeps this community forum rolling. So thank you [redacted]!

And yes i LOVE D&D. I used to run campaigns. It’s been a while but Im looking to do it again. I always wanted to be a dwarf. Because I used to play this game on the Sega Genesis called ‘Golden Axe’ and the dwarf in that game is unstoppable. So I chose to be a dwarf in D&D! :slight_smile:

5 Likes