Likes and Dislikes of the Timmverse

Wow they really did make a lot of material for the dcau.

@Pow-Pow looks like the Fatal Five movie is part of the dcau. I didn’t realize newer movies like that and the Harley Quinn one were.

4 Likes

My favorite line delivery…

2 Likes

i guess ill need to break it up cause Timmverse, these guys know their material and really thought it through what to use and what not to use.

BTAS:

1. i love how each episode was like a mini movie and the 2 part episodes feel like a animated movie.
  2. art style and art direction. i love the neo steam punk 1930s and 40s look. it feel right for the series.
  3. voice acting. yes now in 2020 the voice acting of Conroy and Hamil aren’t as refined and good as they are now but at that time this show was really breaking grounds and conroy never did voice acting before. Hamil i believe had limited time voice acting. so to hear the voice evolve as they all got more comfortable and finding their iconic voice.
    Dislikes:
  4. Art styles for New Batman Adventures. when the move from Fox to WB happen they change the art style to match Superman the animated series and some of it work but majority doesnt. Joker for one is horrible.
  5. Tim Drake. the only thing about tim drake in New Batman was the name. everything about him feels like Jason Todd even the story of him is almost Jason Todd.
  6. Dick Grayson and Bruce fallout. i didnt feel like it was natural.

Superman the aniamted Series.
i hated everything about the show lol. honesty it was ok but jesus they made superman so week to make him kid friendly.

JL JLU

1. the thing i dislike the most about the series. was the first season was mostly 3 part episodes. as great as they are those could of been feature films to add hype to the series.
  2. Justice League Unlimited should have ended with epilogue. Epilogue was by far for me the best ending it tied everything together and made everything full circle and really made it work.
    Batman Beyond
    i loved it i honestly have almost no complaints or badness towards it. if anything and this is nick picking some of the villains didnt do it for me.

Batman and Harley Quinn
they really went bad with this film. i understand they wanted to please their fan audience who are older now then they were back in the 90s but this film was too adult and didnt feel like it belong in that universe. the fart jokes alone werent needed and too much. and the sexual nature was alittle right on the nose.

3 Likes

I’m really not sure Batman & HQ is in the DCAU. Especially because of the hench-bar scene. You have all the henchmen dressed mostly like they were in Batman’66. In the DCAU neither Catwoman or Poison Ivy had regular henchmen, for example. That scene draw on to much camp to be in the DCAU, IMO.

The character designs are mostly the same with a few tweaks. Such as Nightwing’s hair and a bit of his facial structure and HQ’s breasts are more pronounced.

I didn’t like that either, come to think of it. Kid friendliness could be a reason, though I think it also makes the storytelling a bit easier. The threats don’t have to be as grand to create the necessary conflict, allowing them to focus more on Superman/Clark’s character vs. the action. Guess I kinda of accepted it as “their take”, but I do like my Superman more powerful than the show conveyed.

3 Likes

The funny thing about my comment is i was looking at tge superman animated series special features and watching bruce timm and the others talk about the show it seems they didnt like the fact they had to weaken superman. One of the interviews i saw i think was on youtube and bruce timm said one of the hardest meetings he had was the meeting on the talk of how weak should they make suoerman

3 Likes

Interesting. I’d like to check out that interview sometime.

2 Likes

I think DCU should add these to the service the special festures of BTAS and STAS they are really good to watch

2 Likes

Disliked how Batman Beyond was about how Bruce had no one but his dog. It’s sad and you just hope for better watching the other shows. Like he’d have friends, love or his kids. It’s not my favorite way to end his story even though I enjoyed the show (though their version of the future seems silly now).

Liked that Batman Beyond showed us a version of Bruce with a sibling and parents for longer in his life. Maybe if he didn’t lose them at 8, his desire to help others would be more “healthy”?

4 Likes

One credit I do have to give the Timmverse is how they occasionally adapted stories directly from the comics. The best in my opinion is BTAS: The Demon’ Quest
Below is an interesting article on a comparison and behind the scenes of that episode.

4 Likes

The Timmverse is Awesome and has helped me get through tough times. The voice talent throughout the decades is the best I’ve heard!

6 Likes

I like the music and feel of BTAS. I didn’t really like the shift in the new adventures.

I loved Robin and Batgirl’s interactions on TV and in the tie in comics for BTAS. My first superhero comics were BTAS featuring these two! :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed how many characters we got to meet in JL/JLU as well as the team ups. (Black Canary and Green Arrow, Batgirl and Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Batman, Mister Miracle and Big Barda, Gotham City Sirens) I also just really liked Flash and Wonder Woman in general.

I actually dislike a lot of the Batman Beyond world in terms of established characters’ futures. (Biggest grip involves Barbara…) That dislike was actually strong enough to turn me away from the line as well as other episodes that could connect to it.

I don’t really like the nickname “Smallville” from Lois, which I think I read originated here. It always sounded more like a put down to me instead of just a nickname or endearment (which I think it’s supposed to become).

4 Likes

I liked Selina and Talia (and so did Bruce), and thought they gave them both strengths. I wish Bruce had had a one true love but they both brought out good sides of him that no one else could compare to. Bruce even calls Talia beloved and mourns her in Batman Beyond. Though in Epilogue it seems clear Selina was the one who got away (pushed away).

2 Likes

Kinda how I felt about the future the Batman episode. I’m like no, Bruce doesn’t just give up in old age.

3 Likes

I totally geeked when I found out Helen Slater(Supergirl) did Talias voice

2 Likes

As a huge Barbara fan, I agree that her character is my biggest peev from Batman beyond. I loved loved the batgirl supergirl crossover, in the animated series

5 Likes

Ya JL vs Fatal Five is pretty darn good!!! I like the new additions to the group!

5 Likes

Likes: Any Episode of Batman TAS, plus some episodes of JL/JLU

Dislikes: This panel
deb166f9c1737936-600x338

4 Likes

What I like:
The voice acting is top notch, whenever I read a comic that I seen from the dcau it’s (90%) of the time is their dcau voice.

I like how the characters design weren’t grossly Exaggerated like a lot of characters were in the early 2000s and how things that happened in BTAS and STAS were reference in the justice league and batman beyond(and one episode the JL did lead into an episode of static shock) it made it feel connected.
And how it brought in original characters like harley quinn, mercy graves, livewire and overall batman beyond

I disliked the zeta project, felt pointless especially they didn’t do much with him other than reapearing in Batman beyond and having Terry help zeta in one episode.

What I didn’t like.
How justice league unlimited they brought in all these new characters but barley did anything with them.

In superman tas they introduced Kyle but we got John instead, John was still a good character but what was the point of showing Kyle if John was going to the GL for the JL. I also didn’t like they didn’t show more of the batman and superman families, after the death of superman episode I wish they done the reign of superman storline, for batman I understand why they didn’t because of the other batman cartoon at the time.

I’m sure there’s more but this is all I have at the moment

2 Likes

I feel like the character proportions work for some characters, not so well for others. It works great for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman- but I feel like once you got more Justice League members showing up it started to look awkward on some characters.

3 Likes