⚡️Lightning Round: Name a character who could probably beat Superman in a fight! 🥊

… could Martian Manhunter win?

4 Likes

I really don’t think anyone can really beat superman in a fair fight. We’ve seen batman take down big blue when he’s had plenty of prep time but on any given day supes would win no contest. And no one can out-power superman either, that’s kinda his whole thing, so Wonder Woman, Captain Atom, and Supergirl are right out (unless they teamed up maybe.) We saw that telepaths like Manchester Black and Martian Manhunter also can’t go toe to toe with supes for very long either. We saw with Manchester that he was able to nullify his psychic powers temporarily and he described how easy it would be to instantly lobotomize him before he knew what was happening. While he is weak to magic, if he can move faster than Manchester can think, then he can definitely incapacitate Zatanna or Dr. Fate before they can cast a spell. Firestorm might be able to turn something into kryptonite fast enough but that’s a big if as Firestorm has no superspeed. Maybe Dr. Mid-Nite could do it if he could keep superman away from the sun long enough for his power to drain, but that’s another big if. It’s possible that SHAZAM (cap marvel) could do it as he has the magic, strength, and superspeed to pull it of, but the Billy Batson side of him is going to be a hinderance. Basically, if anyone has a weakness for superman, they don’t have the speed to use it before he can beat them, and if they have the speed to use their power, it isn’t going to be able to match superman’s.

4 Likes

YES @moro with Lois Lane! I can see Superman now… “Yes honey, you’re right… I’m wrong”.

3 Likes

Happy Wife… Happy Life!

2 Likes

Plus Lois is a badass :joy:

1 Like

Give me a piece of kryponite and I could

1 Like

Does Barry say that too?

2 Likes

Sure does! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

That’s one of the things I dislike about Clark. He’s pretty much impossible to defeat. I love him, but it’s a thing. I imagine someone like Firestorm could change him on a molecular level and that’s gonna leave him pretty much human. Or turn his costume into kryptonite. That’d do it. I need to think there are a few out there powerful enough to keep him in check.

2 Likes

But could he move fast enough to change him?

2 Likes

I guess it depends. Firestorm can change his own density giving him phasing abilities. I guess maybe he wouldn’t be able to target a fast moving Supes, but Supes also wouldn’t be able to lay a finger on him. Firestorm could always convert all matter in a area into kryptonite or make it rain kryptonite raindrops. That could make things tricky. A writer more clever than myself could come up with something interesting no doubt.

2 Likes

I mean, the whole point of superman is that he doesn’t need to be kept in check. He has all the power of a god, but refuses to use it for his own benefit. Also, power level is completely meaningless except for fan discussions like this one. Superman is just as impervious to harm as Green Arrow, Black Lightning, or any other popular hero that isn’t going to be “killed off” any time soon. If you have a problem with supes relying too much on his unspecified power level to squash villains in the final fight, then I can understand and respect that, but its not a problem with superman, its a problem with the writer. Its the same thing with batman and his utility belt, some writers rely too heavily on random gadgets that batman whips out to overcome obstacles, but that’s not a problem with batman, that’s just a problem with the writers.

2 Likes

I don’t really care for the metas that much these days. My love for Superman is mostly limited to my love for the series when Byrne wrote it in the 80’s. I don’t buy or read Superman titles anymore.

I can’t relate to him. I guess I’m too cautious to trust a Superman. I’d be like Bruce and be collecting data on how to take down these “supers” in case they ever turn. I don’t buy the whole “Superman would never…” argument. It’s something I’ve never liked that many writers do. Making him infallible makes him to god-like for my taste.

I miss a Christopher Reeve type Superman who can be taken down by a bald criminal mastermind, a goofy henchman, an under appreciated female villainess/love interest, and a single piece of kryptonite.

1 Like

That was pretty clever in and of its self.

2 Likes

Captain Marvel ,Supergirl,Batman ( with prepwork) , and mayyyyybe wonderwoman.

But it’s Superman on an off day so anything goes. I’m going with Bouncing Boy taking down Supes!

1 Like

Lol. I mean even on an off day I think superman could. Beat most people. Which is why I went with my selection. They all could beat him they all could lose also even if they teamed up. Its superman. Supergirl is in many If not all versions actually canonically stronger than superman. Atleast in doomsday, but superman makes up for that with experience and battle know how, batman is just human but even he can put superman on the ropes. Captain Marvel is nearly as strong as superman plus superman is vulnerable to magic. But you never know. And wonder woman shes very strong and an expert tactician. But also at the same time at one point superman had the ability to literally sneeze A GALAXY away. Soooooo.

3 Likes

As much as I want to toot Natanna’s horn about Superman’s weakness to magic, I do think Firestorm is a good choice for this match. Especially if paired with a tactician like Wonder Woman or Batman.

2 Likes

To elaborate on my own answer, I think Captain Atom is a closer match than Firestorm for speed and strength, but can also imitate Kryptonite or Red Sun radiation. Plus, Superman would have to be careful about not actually damaging the good Captain and causing a nuclear explosion, which makes it much harder to subdue him.

3 Likes

Most of these match ups could beat superman and all could lose. Hes superman. Pending on the version and way it gets written everyone could at the very least put him on the brink. But hes superman hes nearly indestructible. But so are some of theee match ups. It’s fun to picture and imagine different scenarios though. I like the thinking of cap atom mimicking red sun energy though. Or firestorm changing his atoms.