LGBT DC Fans

I think straightwashing is appropriate in some cases… I mean in the Arrowverse’s Birds of Prey TV Series for example, Mia Sara’s Harley was never explicitly made out to be bisexual or anything of the sort. Her entire Big Bad arc, an indeed her entire personality and characterization, was built around her exacting vengeance on those that wronged her Mister J and replacing him. Her motivation in the Series and in the Finale was to bring down Barbara for good and kill Helena Kyle, the daughter of Joker’s biggest foe Batman. Everything was built on her being straight. There was nothing explicitly Queer or Bisexual about her.
Somewhat the same thing happened in the Arrowverse’s DCEU with Margot Robbie’s appearances. Nothing early on in Ayer’s Suicide Squad or Gunn’s The Suicide Squad was ever explicitly done to show us that this Harley Quinn was nothing but Straight until her final appearance in the Birds of Prey Movie where it was given the same amount of time and attention as a throwaway gag.
Now here we go again with Lady Gaga in the Arrowverse’s Joker 2. So far from all that’s been revealed and talked about in the press, interviews, or by the Cast and Crew anywhere does it show that Lady Gaga’s iteration of Harleen Quinzell/Harley Quinn will be anything other than Straight. Sure Lady Gaga herself is Bisexual, Harley Quinn in the Comic Books (a whole separate Medium) is Bisexual, but the character on Live-Action historically largely hasn’t.

3 Likes

I mean there is that one clip from on set of Lady Gaga as Harley kissing a woman. So. I do understand what you’re saying though.

4 Likes

But was that kiss just Lady Gaga out of character in-costume being funny on-set or was it in front of the cameras directed by Todd Phillips as part of the Plot of Joker 2?

2 Likes

idk

3 Likes

That doesn’t seem too Queer or Bisexual… Just seems a bit Shock and Awe.

3 Likes

I agree, but we also don’t have any of the context of the scene

3 Likes

Posted this in the last song thread, but felt it fit here too. :wink:

5 Likes

happy ace day :00_dc_pride_as:

9 Likes

Happy ace day!

4 Likes

6 Likes

Happy International Asexuality Day! :partying_face:

5 Likes

Happy Asexuality Day!

7 Likes

I haven’t had much occasion to talk about being demisexual here but I’ve also never heard of asexuality day :joy_cat: I hope everyone had a good one. Does anyone else wear the black ring? Nobody ever knows what that is.

5 Likes

I used to but rings bother me lol

4 Likes

They bother me on my dominant hand, and I usually don’t enjoy wearing any sort of jewelry. I have one earring that i never remove, one ring, and a fitbit wristband. Anything else would be too much :joy_cat:

5 Likes

I’m low-key interested in knowing more about the relationship between Natasha Steel and Traci Thirteen as apparently they got a story together in the latest pride book. Any recommendations?

5 Likes

Check out the 2016 Superwoman series!

6 Likes

It’s been a minute since I read it, but I remember that Traci and Natasha first met in Action Comics #806-808, by Joe Kelly, Pescal Ferry & Karl Kershel. It’s…very much an early 00s book, but I remember it being kinda fun, and I feel like there was a lot of subtext that probably inspired them becoming an official couple in the Superwoman series.

5 Likes

I could tell… Joe Kelly, I swear. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I dont know about the Joe Kelly stuff, but looking them up in Superwoman, Traci and Natasha are a couple, but not that prominent. That’s honestly disappointing, but they do say I love you, several times, so that’s something.

The pride 2024 book mention in the solicitations that Traci and Natasha story is about them meeting up again in a pride event following a offscreen break up and I think it’s gonna be super interesting to see in a book about LGBTQ celebration have a story about a couple that didn’t work out. That’s really relatable. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes