Levine Collection to be Auctioned Off

I haven’t read specifics but the older books are said to be in vg or better. I think he upgraded his action comics 1 and possibly other keys.

The man himself. It sounds like we all collect comics. Ya know like an active process. This guy finished collecting comics!

1 Like

I buy slabs because I like back issues. Where I live I can’t buy them anywhere in person. I can’t grade them myself.

I’ve opened several comics from slabs in the past and have only once disagreed with the the grade (Sandman error 9.4 maybe should have been a 9.6) Either way I collect in 9.4, so if I buy a CGC 9.6 or 9.8 I know I’m getting at least a 9.4 no matter how subjective the process is.

It also allows online purchasers the ability to verify the comic. I like that. I also buy autographed issues. Being a million miles from any conventions it allows me to do that while knowing the autograph is real.

Is this massive collection all raw comics, or is it mixed? That’ll have an impact.

1 Like

All raw. I think that’s how we got started talking about slabs.

I’m all for slabbed comics. I have a few I should probably send out. I usually don’t buy them that way. I roll the dice.

1 Like

@c-m-woodworks.91222 That would be so fun, but I live in a town with exactly zero comic shops. I rarely get to judge for myself. I’ve also never spent more that $350 on anything. No way could I bid, even if wealthy, on a collection without judging the comics myself. It would be impossible to do that.

1 Like

I buy them raw on eBay. Comic shops want too much money. It’s a gamble but I make out ok

1 Like

I will say I’ve had some bad experiences. I bought a Justice League 1 that had a tear in the front cover you couldn’t see in the scans. I bought a Spider-Man 129 that the seller shipped in a Manila envelope with no cardboard and it was folded and stuffed in my mailbox. I bought an X-men 7 ( silver age) CGC 7.5 that was cracked out of the case.

This stuff happens

1 Like

I’m someone that avoids slabbed books as much as possible. I’ve also cracked every slabbed book that I’ve purchased. Even a Batman 9 and a 15 :wink:

2 Likes

Some people do. I get it.