Letters Pages!

One reason I tend to buy my back issues as single issues rather than as trade paperbacks or those big volumes is for the advertisements and letters pages.

Especially with comics from before my time, it really helps put me in the mindset of readers from the era. Especially the back and forth dialog between the letter writers and editorial staff.

I can’t see any good reason why the letters pages would not be included with digital copies of old issues of comics.

I was really hoping a subscription service like this would mean I could stop the steady multiplication of longboxes taking over my basement. But, I really want those letters columns!

4 Likes

One of my letters was featured in the back of Lockjaw 4 this year

2 Likes

I love it when I spot a future famous comic book creator in the letter pages of an old classic!

Like, I was reading through some old Fantastic Four and happened upon a very thoughtful letter from a teenage Kurt Busiek!

2 Likes

I was an old “letter hack” in the 70’s and it was a joy and a kick to see your letters in print. It was not only a way to comment on current comic books but also a means to connect (before the internet!) with people who shared your passion for comics. I would then meet many of those fans at the various year-round New York conventions and thus made many friendships. Let’s go DC, bring back the letter pages and let’s discuss and connect the old fashion way!

2 Likes

I got one published in Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man number 8 back in 1976

2 Likes

Yeah. As a kid, I loved reading the letters pages. And I’d scour the ads, studying the prices of back comics. I’ve got a couple fanboy-like notes published from back then. They’re pretty embarrassing for someone who grew up to be an English Lit major, and then an executive :grin:

2 Likes

I really enjoy letter pages and wish every comic would have them. When my now teenage son was 4; one of his letters and drawings was published in super friends. I get a laugh showing him the stick figures he drew . One of my favorite comics in my collection.

4 Likes

Yes! Add letter pages

Loved the letter pages as a kid. Sometimes you find out more about the characters and past issues through the letters. Sometimes there were questions or polls. I remember wayyy back in the Justice League letter pages they had a poll asking readers who should be the next member of the League and a few months later they printed a list of the top responses and the winner was Zatanna and in about a year she joined. Also the Legion of Super Heroes had readers polls through letters pages asking who should be voted in as the leader (voted by the “Legionaries” every couple of years.)

1 Like