Lets Talk - Birds of Prey 2020

Lazyalaska here. I watched Birds of Prey Sunday Evening and I just absolutely loved it. There was just so much I didnt expect to level with on Harley’s end. Im going through a breakup as well and Honestly this movie just made me happy. Like I just ended up Rooting for Harley and I just felt for her. Seeing Black Canary on the big screen was fantastic. Like compared to what I normally see from the arrowverse this was just absolutely phenomenal. I didnt know too much about Black Mask but seeing Ewan McGregor portrayal was great. I loved seeing Ewan take up a new kind of Role. Then the entire character of The Huntress was Fantastic. I absolutely love Mary E. Winstead. Seeing her play the Huntress was just so much Fun and just Anytime she was on screen, she just stole the show. Her character development was just great. Like It was badass and brutal. And seeing her Character open up in that Final Act was amazing and Hilarious. I cant say it enough. I absolutely loved this movie. Seeing where we left off with Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, This new chapter felt like it was able to Breathe 10x Better. I loved how they still referenced some members of the SS. And just seeing the credits…Margot Robbie producing then jumping in front of the camera. She deserves so much credit. And she also has plenty of idea on where she wants to take Harley next which is Fantastic. It just shows how much she cares for this Character in the Universe.

This movie will hold a special place in my heart. This movie was just Absolute fun. I was invested from Start to Finish. I would love to hear your thoughts on this new movie with a new rendition of the Birds of Prey for this would be my first Post on DC Universe. Im your Friendly Speedster from Anchorage Alaska and I hope you all Have a Fantastic Night and stay Hydrated Please.

5 Likes

I loved it too mostly the fighting, but the whole movie was amazing and such a wonderful color pallet as well.

4 Likes

The fight scenes in this movie were absolutely Fantastic now that you reminded me of it. There were so many moments of Legitimate Jaw Dropping fight scenes that kept me on the edge of my seat. I wish there were more Scenes for Black Mask. I feel like Victor kinda stole all the Weight of the Whole Character of the Black Mask. I feel like Black Mask would display some pretty badass fight scenes, Especially with an actor like Ewan McGregor

3 Likes

I liked it, it was fun. Cassandra cain though just…to me her character…most everything about her was just awful…to me she was very unlikable and the only time her pitiful face changed was to a grin at the very end of the movie…the girl was related to somebody higher up. I saw a post, forget who, but I feel like she got put in the movie because of her connections. Even though Harley liked her a lot I just couldn’t see it… black canary was pretty cool. I had a feeling they’d postpone her canary cry until the end…I wish they hadn’t postponed it…it made it feel less like the actual character because she wasn’t using her power. By the time she finally did…it was like…well that’s all we will get of it huh… I enjoyed huntress, for the extremely short amount of screen time she got she was very funny and likable and cool. Huntress and canary - their outfits were on point the whole movie. Renee Montoya was fine. Her shaved balls shirt was funny but pointless and it made the next few scenes hard to take anything she did or said serious…the laugh made it hard for me to see her as a genuine hero because it was so ridiculous…if she’d had it for like part of a scene and turned it inside out…she wasn’t a bad character or unlikable… I feel like her getting shunned at work didn’t really resonate or get a resolution or a response really even… she was there in the movie but I feel like her plot line was fairly weak… not weaker than cassandra Caine but probably 2nd to. Black mask came off as very erratic and it made him less threatening… they did the face peeling scene but his banter just…it wasn’t scary or intimidating at all…I feel like black mask should have come off as more hard core…especially since they did the R rating anyway…just go for it…they should have used him for the actual comic things he’d done with catwoman family…now he’s apparently dead… I think if he had taken the knife himself and we saw him begin to at least do it or hear it that it would’ve been a better black mask portrayl… honestly him and zazz came off to me as a gay couple which is fine but the comics, the characters as they are known beforehand aren’t that way and it waters them down to do that… not being political here if he’s gay he’s gay not the point could still be the same character but there’s a difference between sitting in a chair ordering something evil to be done and giggling about it as opposed to picking the knife up and doing it yourself. Harley was fun…it was a Harley Quinn movie not birds of prey. It makes more sense to name it Harley Quinn…they should have led with that originally…they’ve done all their advertisements as birds of prey…etc etc…it seems too little too late honestly but it will probably still help. I feel like the unknown director is a big part of the problem…many of the things I’ve mentioned are directorial aspects…cassandra cain having no genuine acting…black mask and zazz coming off as more flamboyant lunatics than actual dangerous villains… the canary cry being reserved for a finale instead of an integral part to her as a character…downplaying the title of your movie birds if prey…and having the title be better named after already released…these are simple things that a director could have said…well we could try this…whose idea was it to give cassandra cain a pink cast to hide things she stole in it? Lol… was it meant to symbolize familial abuse? Or was it her faking her injury to get sympathy? Unnecessary- that hat…oh man…lol BUT the fight scenes were all very good, fun and on point.

3 Likes

I Absolutely love your response. It Most definitely got the gears spinning and REcapping the movie overall. Ive talked about it with a friend of mine and we were on the same page that Cassandra Cane was done and written in not too well. But Seeing how and where this rendition Cassandra Cane will go is something Im most definitely looking forward to because seeing her Evolve into what we all know as Cassandra Cane has to be something heavy and dark in time. Which will take some time but it will need to heaviness like we saw from Huntress. If it doesnt I think it will flop as we are all afraid of what we got to start with. And Black Mask looking at him now I think was a great waste. Like theres a ton of Star power with Ewan and the character of Black Mask can be used in so many different ways just to be shot down like it was. Black Mask with the Star Power of Ewan could have been a great way to redeem other heros and Villains of DC. With Victor Zsasz and Black Mask teaming up I feel like they could have done more things other killing people to display power… Like Not killing everyone they wanna show that power to. Wasnt a wise play on using the power we Know that these characters to have in the comics only to feel like just cereal killer lvl murders. They Should Not have Killed Victor by anymeans. This character aswell can be so Universal for a handful of Heros and Villains actually thinking about it. I dont think it should only gotten towards Harley, so many Characters can deliver great stories with Black Mask revolving in the middle of Any story. Id love to see Black Mask go at it with maybe some Heros that need Redemption from Justice League. I most definitely think they could have used more and done more with an R Rated Film not saying it didnt stand up to it but come on… Its DC. Now Black Canary. I noticed that they teased alittle bit of her power with singing but I feel like if you didnt know the background some people wouldnt pick up on it. I honestly wish they Done more with her power than reference it maybe twice before she finally caves in and saves everyone but they way they did it was ■■■■■■■ awesome. I loved it. Built it up but wanted more. And I could agree with you more on Renee Montoya. They should have just ditched the shirt for the scene. Now seeing where this character is and how she evolves in the comics in Great, and so Seeing her Evolve in time is gonna be great. Her and Cassandra have alot to grow on thinking about it now But Im down to see it.
But this is most definitely A Harley Quinn movie which they Actually changed the title of After release. With all the coulda shoulda woulda situations This movie knows what it is and what it wanted to do. It had been dealt a hand of cards that I think they played really well on. Like we said this movie was a film you can just have some Fun with.
Im definitely gonna watch this movie as soon as I can. Im gonnna buy this movie on Blu Ray for sure.

I dont know if you were there for G4 buy Attack of the Show had a segment about movies. And they would rate movies on either Renting it, Buying it on DVD, or buying it on Blu-Ray can that has stuck with me since. Im gonna get this on BluRay for sure hahaha

3 Likes

I’m not gonna lie the soundtrack was amazing and I downloaded it almost immediately. Also, the fight scenes were so well-choreographed that my jaw dropped more than a few times. But I loved the rawness and grittiness of it the most, probably. I feel like in comparison to Suicide Squad, this movie didn’t stray too far from the horrors and gore that come with Gotham. Either way loved this movie so much!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Movie was great, not sure why its doing horrible at the box office

4 Likes

For an R-rated movie, it’s actually doing well. The avg return on an R-rated movie is 2x cost. BOP has already well surpassed that and still brought in $1-3 million a day last week and that’s just domestic box office (the larger numbers coming in over the Friday-Sunday.) it’s grinding along, making money. I’m hopeful it’ll make 3x cost when all is said and done. It still needs to make another $70 mil to hit that 3x number, but, I think it’s got a chance.

It’s doing well enough to warrant another HQ movie, but the next one really should be a PG-13, that’s just a bigger market with considerably more box office to be made.

6 Likes

Also it has yet to open in Japan. It can hope to garner another 10 million. If it’s lucky, it might appeal to the anime crowd and do even better.

4 Likes

why… did… you… reply… like… this… great review… but… whyyyyyy…

2 Likes

Unless it makes over 500k the media will tout it as a failure…it probably do as well as shazam and thats getting a sequal, hardly a failure. Lets hope DC doesnt listen to the media.

2 Likes

@DCuniVICE why? Shazam didn’t make that much (I’m assuming you meant 500 million) it’s budget was slightly bigger, and it’s heralded as a success. Most comments in the media have acknowledged the fact it has crossed the"2X" threshold making it profitable, even if the box office is disappointing. It won’t make the almost 4X Shazam made; so its box office can be called underwhelming, but it still has some legs including its Japanese opening in March.

4 Likes

I doubt WB thought it would make 500k, seeing as it’s an R. Anybody who’s saying “if it makes under 500K, it’s a failure.” Doesn’t understand film economics and is trying to compare it to a PG-13 comic book movie. WB doesn’t listen to the media, they look at the balance sheet.

Do the BOP get a another movie, I’d guess probably not. Does HQ get another movie, I’d guess yes. The question would be, is it R or PG-13?

The success of the HQ animated series may play some part in that. Only time will tell.

4 Likes

It was announced on CBR that the Japanese release will be PG-12; thereby opening it to a wider audience. It also puts China in play should the theaters reopen in the near future. It wasn’t announced whether a rerelease is planned here by WB. Since it’s been paid for now; then why not.

3 Likes

If they’re smart they’d maybe do a BoP series on HBO Max between now and whenever we get that alleged Batgirl movie. I wouldn’t waste the other birds. …I can dream. :wink:

1 Like

I liked the movie, Of course Margot Robbie was great as Harley. Everything was good too. I liked all he nods to the comics they had in it.

1 Like

I imagine how the James Gunn Squad movie does will factor any future Harley plans as well, since she will likely play a big role in that one. If it’s R and does Deadpool numbers that strengthens the case for keeping Harley Rated R.

2 Likes

All in all I cannot wait to see what they have in store for her in the future. I love the comments, most definitely making me think once again on the film and also outside of it. Im not sure if anyone recalls G4’s Attack of the Show had a segment where they would do quick reviews on new movies being released by rating it by
Rent it
Buy it on DVD
or best Buy it on Blu-Ray

Most definitely gonna buy it on Blu-ray. If people dont like this movie then its their loss because I will buy it on Blu-Ray and probably find a special edition if I can, And I will enjoy every second of it. Im excited for the future of DC. Im sure they got something good up their sleeve especially with the great momentum that Margot Robbie has generated as Harley Quinn.

1 Like