Let's Talk About the DC Deck-Building Game

Making a thread for this as the KS the other thread is talking about is long since over. I wanna talk about the DC Deck-Building Game from Cryptozoic, I backed that KS the other guy was talking about for about $365, bought the Rebirth base set and have the Hal Jordan vs Sinestro Rivals set, Crossover Collection 1 and Crisis Collection 1 on their way to me set to arrive Monday. Going to get the Batman vs Joker set with ESW: Annihlageddon too when I get the chance. What little I got to play of Rebirth was fun, I really do like how the Cerberus Engine works and I’m super excited for when I can run Multiverse games in December because I plan on having just about every non-promo DCDBG thing possible to fill up that box with. What sets are the most fun to you guys, was Rebirth really the massive bomb it seemed to be and did you back the KS or not?

9 Likes

I’ve never heard of this… also, what’s KS

2 Likes

KS is short for Kickstarter, a platform for crowdfunding things. The DC Deck Building Game has been going on for about 10 years through Cryptozoic Entertainment and has had a variety of base sets and expansions made for it. There are seven base sets with DC Rebirth being the most unorthodox as it has board game esque movement mechanics in it. Then there’s the 2-player Rivals sets where you and a friend take the role of two iconic DC rivals and fight one another, then the expansions which can add new characters and mechanics to the base sets.

4 Likes

Oh that sounds cool!

2 Likes

Yeah I thought so too. Especially with the Multiverse Box adding rules and cards that let you combine every set and expansion you own into one huge super-game

4 Likes

Don’t own any myself, did join a few games on tabletop simulator a couple of years ago, it was enjoyable.

3 Likes

Hey! Yeah I backed the KS. I think for those who played Rebirth, they liked it but many haven’t tried it yet which is why it didn’t do as well but they will still support it since it’ll be a matter of more people trying it before they determine it a loss.

I really like Forever Evil.

I have everything but promos and Batman Ninja. And have no one to play with ha ha

4 Likes

I have the Rebirth and Watchmen sets for the DC Deckbuilding card game. Sadly I haven’t got around to playing it yet. Someday though. Someday!

As for the kickstarter it looks interesting but my entertainment budget doesn’t really have much wiggle room right now and honestly most of it goes to comics. So I probably won’t be able to back the KS Campaign. But if it gets released for sale on their site later on I might buy it then.

6 Likes

So since there is a thread about this. I have questions:

• How involved is this game? Is it something my 11 year old & I can pick up in a single session and play, or is there a steep learning curve? To give you an idea, “Sorry” is kind of our speed :slightly_smiling_face:. We’ve never played this type of game before.
  • Does it take more than an hour to finish a game?
  • There’s like, a lot of decks. Which do we start with? I understand some of them are not standalone?
4 Likes

Essentially how the game works is that you start with several beginner cards you can use to purchase new cards from a line up. Every card you buy is worth Victory Points which you need to win the game in the end. Games are meant to be around an hour if not a bit longer, but your mileage may vary. My friends were a bit too slow on the uptake for that when I tried showing them Rebirth.

As for what “decks” to start with, it depends on what you want. There’s seven base sets each with some form of gimmick outside the original set, Rebirth involves scenarios and movement, acting somewhat like a Legacy game, Confrontations is 2v2, Metal involves hero rescue mechanics and the Batman Who Laughs. If it’s just you and your 11 year old, a Rivals set may be best as it’s a 1v1 affair and as such is setup to be a bit faster than the main Base Sets.

Avoid the Crossover and Crisis packs, as they require a Base Set in order to use.

6 Likes

Thank you for that rundown. Much appreciated.

5 Likes

Well got Scenario 1 of Rebirth down today with some buddies and I gotta say: Really satisfying to be The Flash, have Reverse Flash spawn on top of you then punch his lights out the very next turn.

5 Likes

I love this game and can’t believe I have not seen this thread. I know it’s a shot in the dark but we have a fb group for Southern California players. Join up if local. We have a meet up in July. Really looking forward to playing with new people.

Dark knights metal might be my favorite set. Love the dynamic. Can’t wait for the KS to ship in December.

3 Likes

I also backed the Kickstarter when I heard about it, and I’m very excited to try out the new sets/expansions they have planned.

The reminder of the DC DBG series reminded me of the sets/expansions I don’t have. While I’m getting some of the sets through KS, I’m searching for the others and trying to get myself a decent price (need to get GL v Sinestro & Crisis 3).

Teen Titans is probably my favorite set of the ones I have. I like using the ongoing abilities. I also like using it with the Birds of Prey Set.

When it comes to Rebirth, I’ve done 2 co-op campaigns of it, both with just the normal SVs (one was a 3-player game, the other a 2-player game). I think if another version of this were to exist in the style of Rebirth, I’d reduce it to 6 Scenarios instead of 8.

3 Likes

I love the game and have every set so far. I backed the KS for the two new sets (Injustice and Flash vs Reverse Flash) and the new Multiverse box. My wife and I have been playing Rebirth on and off for a while now and we both like it. I think it’s a great cross between board game and deck building game. But so far I think Dark Knights Metal is my favourite version of the rules.

2 Likes

Does this game have a Wonder Woman set?

3 Likes

Nope, Wonder Woman is in several sets but there’s no specific set for her. Closest thing to one hero centric sets are the Rivals games but only ones so far are Batman vs Joker, Hal vs Sinestro and Flash vs Reverse Flash. Also the CW Arrow and Batman Ninja crossover packs technically

4 Likes

@nuuninuunani There’s also a set called Confrontations which uses the same model as the Rivals ones but lets you play as more heroes & villains. One of the heroes is Wonder Woman.

5 Likes

Kickstarter just came in. Anyone else back this? Just need to find some people to play with now. Here is my complete collection minus the multiverse playmat

4 Likes

This game looks awesome.

6 Likes