Let's Talk About Pennyworth- Are You as Excited as I Am?

I’m seeing lots of little rumors and speculations flying around about Pennyworth. Are they real? Are they confirmed? I don’t know, but all I can say is, “YES PLEASE!” Alfred has been a fan-favorite for as long as I can remember, and a not-so secret BAMF.

What kind of adventures do you want to see AP go on? Who do you want to see him battle? Will we see any nods towards his future in the Batverse? Tell all!

4 Likes

Definitely something I’d love to see! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I’ll bet my stock in Kord Industries that we’ll get some sort of reference to the Burma story Alfred tells in The Dark Knight.

4 Likes

I don’t know what to feel about it. Like will it be a superhero type of thing or what?

1 Like

evidently Alfred and Thomas Wayne team up for an R-rated spy duo set in the 1960s … Mad Men on a Mission Impossible, maybe … sex and violence have been promised by the showrunner

never heard of the streaming platform, though, or never noticed

1 Like

Mdselle Marie show be in it

1 Like

I’m looking forward to it. It’s a great Batman 80th anniversary commemorative too.

adds Epix to his favorite channels list Done and done. And I mean done.

4 Likes

Looking forward to it, hopefully it ends up here when it’s season is over

3 Likes

I think it would be a interesting show, if it’s done right. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Alfred is one of my all time favorite characters. There’s no answer for me other than an enthusiastic, head nodding “Yes!!!”

2 Likes

Some of the people behind Gotham are working on Pennyworth. I really like their interpretation of Alfred on Gotham so I’m curious to see what will happen with this new show.

It’s not supposed to be directly connected to Gotham but I hope there will be a few easter eggs and nods to Gotham Alfred like maybe a version of Alfred’s alley story. Also supposedly the villains could include characters from British literature, so hopefully there’ll be a Jekyl/Hyde baddie or some Moriarty styled criminal mastermind.

2 Likes

I legitimately cannot wait to see this show!

1 Like

Imagine if it was like a Wayne manor sitcom with Alfred, Damian, Ace, ETC

Hope DC universe can snag the streaming rights

1 Like

Yeah I’ll be interested in seeing Pennyworth when it premieres on EPIX later this year. FYI, you can now subscribe to EPIX Now, their streaming service with no cable subscription, for only $6/month. https://www.epixnow.com/

1 Like

No I’m not. This can be done in a mini comic arc

1 Like

Every episode, this will give new meaning to the phrase, ‘the butler did it.’

1 Like

This is the first I’m hearing of this and it sounds… interesting. I’m not sure what to make of it. However, as long as he remains a master of sarcastic quips, I would be willing to give it a try. It takes a real badass to dish out heavy spoons of sass to Batman, and to get him to joke along as well.
If it’s an action show taking place before his butler days, I would be hesitant. However, if it’s more of a comedy, with a little drama and action balanced together, starting with Bruce Wayne’s first outing as Batman, focusing on what Alfred does behind the scenes while Batman is on the front lines I would absolutely watch it. They could gradually introduce the rest of the Bat Family and have Alfred deal with bizarre cases and showing him saving Batman’s ass and trying to keep him from going off the deep end, occasionally dealing with trouble that follows Batman home or plagues Gotham in general, but with a unique point of view different from that of the average Gotham City citizen. Maybe dealing with things like an airborne version of the Scarecrow’s fear toxin infecting the city, attacks from Man-Bat that occur while Batman is out searching for him, maybe even the Death of the Family story arc where Joker broke into Wayne Manner then kidnapped and drugged Alfred, seeing that story from his point of view, showing it from an new, unique perspective. Maybe even do the storyline where Bruce gets addicted to venom and show Alfred having to take care of an out of control Batman and help him recover from his addiction.
Something like that could be really cool to watch. A show focusing on Alfred as the action star and possibly taking place before his tenure with the Wayne family however, that I would be very hesitant to see and seems like the plots would stretch thin and they would run out of material real fast. However, including Alfred’s back story could potentially be interesting if it’s shown in flashbacks and ties in to the narrative of the episode. The fear toxin thing would be a great chance to dig into his past, and have other flashbacks relate to experiences he had that are relevent to what is going on with Batman and the rest of the Bat Family in each episode.

1 Like

I’m way out on this show unless they somehow break from continuity very early, like having A Martha Wayne die, sending Alfred and Thomas off on their adventures. If it doesn’t do that then the show won’t have any suspense, Alfred and Thomas are chasing the bad guy when their car goes over a cliff, will they survive of course they will.

So I’ll wait to see canon this show is.

From what I’ve read, Pennyworth takes place in 1960’s London, and centers on Alfred meeting and becoming best friends with Thomas Wayne who is in London setting up a foreign branch of his business.

So, no Martha, no Man-bat none of the Gotham City stuff. Sounds like this is where Alfred becomes Thomas’s Bat-Man, which ironically is a British term for man servant

2 Likes