Let's Talk About Dreamer's Comic Debut in Superman: Son of Kal-El #13 (available 7/12; spoilers)

It’s the dramatic DC Universe debut of Dreamer!

When every hero on Earth is threatened by Henry Bendix’s machinations, it’s a race against time for Dreamer to warn Superman before it happens! But will this mysterious new ally’s premonition become a nightmare for Jonathan Kent?

Also, here are the snazzy variant covers for Superman: Son of Kal-El #13 (the main cover by Travis Moore can be seen above), which has a July 12th release date:

A.L. Kaplan card stock

1:25 by Clayton Henry

Are you :index_pointing_at_the_viewer: excited for Dreamer’s official DCU debut?

10 Likes

:raised_hands: :00_dc_pride_tg:

5 Likes

As an ardent Superman nerd who also likes Dreamer, I’m jazzed she’s making her DCU debut in the pages of a Superman book.

6 Likes

I’ll be honest – when I first saw her in some of the episodes leading up to Crisis, I wasn’t really into her, because she felt in a lot of ways the opposite of the Dream Girl/Dreamer I’ve read in the comics. But when I found out that the show Dreamer is a decendent, I came to like her a lot better.

So yeah, definitely looking forward to seeing her become part of the main continuity. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Likewise.

Maybe this is a precursor to her own book? A Dreamer mini would be dreamy.

6 Likes

And then a Supergirl HBO Max spinoff for Dreamer and Brainy.

6 Likes

Say that’s actually happening, and you’ll be my hero…

Or is it just a dream? Probably a dream.

5 Likes

That would be cool. That does remind me – I had the thought recently that with all the new/more prominant LGBT characters in the DCU, I wonder now if they could make a JLQ book with some big names that could work. Like, I’m thinking a team consisting of:

Jon Kent / Superman
Kate Kane / Batwoman
Alan Scott / Green Lantern
Nia Nal / Dreamer
Jackson Hyde / Aquaman
Artemis / …Artemis

I dunno, I’d read the hell out of that.

The talk of her and Brainiac 5 does remind me of something I’ve been seeing a little of when this was announced, that I think there might be some pull by fans to start shipping Dreamer with Jon, which could be interesting.

Then again I also saw some shipping Jon with Jackson when he guest-starred in Son of Kal-El, so…I think what’s really going on is that a lot of people find Jon’s current boyfriend boring as dirt and are trying to give Jon literally anyone else who might be more interesting. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I would absolutely read the hell out of that. Good call!

As Batman said in Batman Returns, “You might be right.”

7 Likes

While I would of course read that JLQ lineup I think that if there was a JLQ book made it would be better to go with notable queer characters who aren’t just “A-lister… but gay!” That gives the team its own identity as a team which I think is important.

4 Likes

Someone said it already but this is what I imagine to be in a relationship with superman.

We just met Jay Nakamura and I already feel like he’s a throwaway love interest.

Like Bea from Nightwing

And Tim drake new love interest Bernard.

2 Likes

Should Jon and Jay not work out, I really hope Taylor avoids turning him into a jilted ex that wants to bump off Jon.

If they don’t click, fine, as Jay can still be friends with Jon. Just don’t let him fall into the “ex gone bad” cliché.

3 Likes

Her time is now!

Starting today, July 12th, Dreamer begins her comic-based adventures in Superman: Son of Kal-El #13.

Will you be picking up the issue?

What are your hopes and thoughts for Dreamer’s adventures on the page?

How do you feel Dreamer will add to Jon’s adventures?

Sound off below on what you thought of Dreamer’s comic debut, and anything else that comes to mind regarding Superman: Son of Kal-El #13.

3 Likes

Just finished reading it. To start, it’s great that they chose to introduce Dreamer into the main DC Comic universe. In my opinion, she was the best original element to come out of the Supergirl TV series and she fits in well with this current crop of new DC heroes. In essence, just having her debut in this issue was exciting enough.

That being said, what she actually does in the issue itself isn’t exactly going to light the world on fire. Mainly, she delivers an apocalyptic vision to Jon and Jay which is a pretty standard duty for any hero with prophetic abilities. Dreamer gets some good character moments like when Jon informs her about her descendant, Dream Girl, and she gets to help Jay get on Jon’s case for “damseling” him (that was a nice touch). Outside of that, though, not a lot of action for our girl. I’d say that it was a good intro but certainly leaves you wanting more. That’s not a bad thing.

What I hope to see from Dreamer moving forward is for her to become part of the bridge between the present day DC Universe and the future world of the Legion of Superheroes. I think her connection to Dream Girl (a highly underrated past leader of the Legion) makes her uniquely qualified to be one of the heroes who helps the world transition to the bright future of the Legion. The United Planets are still out there, but will probably need something to do now that Bendis has moved on from The Justice League. Dreamer could fit in there somehow. Or there’s always the possibility of having Legion heroes come back to the present (like a Legion Lost or a Mon-El in the Phantom Zone situation) and interact with her. There’s the matter of a certain green-skinned love interest who could make that prospect even juicier. Or you could just have Dreamer become part of “Team Jon” like he’s building a sort of proto-Legion in the present (Jay has Phantom Girl vibes). Regardless, I hope she sticks around in some capacity because it’s great to have her in the sandbox!

Outside of Dreamer’s part in the issue, it was cool to see ole Weatherman One, Henry Bendix, live up to being the threat he probably should be. He’s becoming a great nemesis for Jon as you really just love to hate him. Now that he carries the threat of committing superhero genocide, you really want to see Jon defeat him so he can get what’s coming to him. This was definitely a key chapter to moving the action of the story along and solidifying Bendix as a legitimate threat and not just a villain of the month.

3 Likes

Picked up the mag today (Tuesday), but I haven’t read it in full, just yet.

@TheCosmicMoth Interesting thoughts, which have made me even more interested in the issue than I already was. :+1:t2:

SN: Good use of “juicier”, BTW. I bet Brainy would approve.

2 Likes

Having now read the ish…I liked it! It was a good comic introduction for Dreamer. I also really enjoyed Clayton Henry’s art, which is always fun and vibrant.

Also, “damseling” should become a part of any good superhero (and/or family/friend of a superhero)'s vocabulary, because that’s a fun word.

1 Like

I just want to point out that, in Superman: Son of Kal-El #14, Jon handed Jay a Legion Flight Ring and a super suit from the 31st century. Also, Dreamer is still fighting alongside them. Maybe the proto-Legion WILL happen?

1 Like

And maybe Taylor will write a tie-in book with them as a proto-Legion? :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like