šŸ’€ Let's Talk About Death and Superman :superman:

:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

I liked it a lot, because as many times as Lex courts death in dealing with Superman (not that Superman would kill him; rather, its the people, tech and situations Lex consorts with, uses and finds himself in, more often than not) its only apropos that he actually met Death and during a storyline where heā€™s trying to indulge his own lust for power, nonetheless.

1 Like

Madame Xanadu #6 is definitely worth seeking out for fans of Sandman.

2 Likes

Groovy! Just added it to my list, and thank you for the heads-up. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I have heard good things about it, and I love that era of Amy Reeder art! Vendittiā€™s Hawkman run made me interested in the character. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe Death can revisit that and bring it back.

1 Like

Did he really need it though? He was pretty motivated already. I think you could have accomplished it without bringing the personification of death itself to come visit him. It felt beneath her.

The impression I got from Cornell on that was more like he presented his dialogue to Gaiman and he approved it, not that he wrote any of it. Approval and authorship are two very different standards.

Oh yeah. Loved Death here. Madame Xanadu is severely underrated.

1 Like

Found it! I was worried itā€™d died with CBR and Newsaramaā€™s updates, but itā€™s actually an IGN interview (We ask Paul Cornell about Lex Luthor's "death" in Action Comics and the British Batman):

Besides giving the OK to use Death, what sort of role did Neil play in the genesis of this issue?

He looked over the script, and ended up writing a chunk of Deathā€™s dialogue. I was well pleased with that, it was like singing with a friend. He does the high notes.

2 Likes

I would say she isnā€™t the personification of Death, she IS death, and she doesnā€™t just visit the higher ups. She is there to greet us all.

1 Like

I also am a bit, I dunno - the idea that visiting people to help them is ā€œbeneathā€ Death feels wrong. She loves us all, even the wretchedly evil like Lex Luthor.

2 Likes

Interesting to know. Not the impression I got from it, but definitely interesting.

1 Like

Several of the easier to find interviews do seem to indicate that it was a simple approval process, but I remember reading this interview way back when I bought the issue, so I wanted to get it on the record.

1 Like

She popped in on Element Girl just to see what was bothering her, for example.

2 Likes