Let's Talk About Dawn of DC: Birds of Prey

Breaking Hearts and Faces This Fall!

Writer Kelly Thompson, artist Leonardo Romero and colorist Jordie Bellaire are the new creative team for this series as Thompson teases Black Canary is building the most dangerous Birds Of Prey team yet…

More to come I’m sure.

14 Likes

And special shout out to @millernumber1 !

It’s a great question, who else should be on the team?

9 Likes

Yeah I was Just about to comment on @millernumber1 post in Dawn Of DC topic but you beat me to the punch with a entirely separate topic mentioning them. Solid. :laughing:

I think the team will include Lady Shiva and huntress as that seems obvious to me for a Birds of prey team, along with newcomers Angel Breaker and Harley Quinn. Now I love Batgirl in the team but I feel like that description of a team with darker elements than perhaps this team might not include their famous oracle in it.

5 Likes

I doubt they are including a major villain like her.

6 Likes

Lady Shiva is a villain most days but occasionally she helps the other heroes. She trained Robin, worked with the Outsiders and recently in Urban legends #14 did start a short term Birds of Prey team with Katana. No offense @MatthewHecht but she’s currently more like a Anti-villian now.

I thought she and Dinah having a established contentious relationship in the pre-flashpoint Birds of Prey that this series could potentially bring that up if you have a more dangerous version of the team.

Of course we will find out what that team will be soon.

7 Likes

I am also hoping that this is just the first of several titles Kelly Thompson will be doing at DC too.

7 Likes

This reminded me I really need to get around to reading BOP

6 Likes

They are such a great team. I could never get into the rebirth title as I wanted to and I didn’t care much for the Harley Quinn centric birds of prey team books that came around the time of the movie.

Fingers cross Kelly Thompson gives the team the proper outing they deserve.

6 Likes

I really hope Quinn is not in the team.

8 Likes

I actually did read the Rebirth title! I enjoyed it

6 Likes

There is a club for that, you know :blush:

8 Likes

giphy

7 Likes

The co-founder needs to be on the team, in both the :00_batgirl1: and :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: personas.

10 Likes

She was in that, but that was a truly execrable story, sadly. I desperately hope that nothing from it survives into Kelly Thompson’s book.

You should! The Dixon run is very good, and the Simone run (starting with #56) is sublime!

The Rebirth title was fun but really simplistic in plotting and characterization. I don’t and didn’t hate it (like I do the Urban Legends story or the n52 title), but it’s extremely, extremely forgettable. And the Harley Quinn movie-tie in stuff…just not Birds of Prey at all, especially the Azzarello one shot. Awful, awful comic.

And as I said in my Dawn of DC post, above all, I hope that Stephanie Brown is on the team most of all! She could really use some more training with Dinah!

9 Likes

Update:

8 Likes

A new Birds of Prey book??? By Kelly Thompson??? And Cass is a member??? I feel like I won the comics lottery.

8 Likes

Maybe birds of prey will just replace batgirls. Cassandra Cain looks like she has a black n95 filter.

7 Likes

My prediction for the last three members: Red Canary, Babs, and Harley Quinn, to match the two red and one blue hearts in the original tweet.

10 Likes

So much of this is so up my alley. Great creative team. Cass is on the lineup. All it needs to be perfect is Oracle.

On Twitter, Kelly has said that the three remaining characters are not OCs, that Dinah isn’t the only member with superpowers, and that the team overall does not lean “too Gotham.”

My called shot for the rest of the team: Oracle, Thunder, and Grace Choi.

9 Likes

Vixen?

7 Likes