Let's Settle This One: Michael Keaton or Kevin Conroy: Which One is The Definitive Batman

Oh I agree. I still need to finish planning something out for one of my stories and then hit the hay since it’s 1:19 in the damn morning.

I am glad we reached an agreement.

3 Likes

I agree with @moro that Batman doesn’t have a Christopher Reeve that looms large.

In general, I don’t think animation compares well with live action. Different media have different strengths. Conroy did a great job and has an iconic voice, but I don’t compare live action performances to his. It’s just different to me. (And if we’re including the CW appearance, then he gets docked points, lol.)

Among animated versions, I can see Conroy being considered by many to be definitive. I agree he’s often the one being compared to or even discussed in interviews as inspiration. We have had quite a few strong voice actors in recent years, though, so I think that starts to blur having a definitive version. (Which is a good thing! Other alternative - lots of poorly received performances…)

4 Likes

How? Seeing him finally get to embody Bruce in live action after so many years voicing him was absolutely incredible. Even if you didn’t like how they wrote that version of Bruce in Crisis, which is understandable, I don’t see how Conroy should be docked for it. The writing isn’t on him

3 Likes

Best live action Bruce Wayne

Most Iconic live action Batman

Best fighting and most physically imposing Batman

Smartest Batman

Most intimidating voice

Best fan film Batman

Best animated Batman

3 Likes

Sure, it was nice for him and his fans. I was excited when I heard the news too. While it was nice for nostalgia, the portrayal in and of itself was lacking imo (whether due to writers or whomever). As such, it did nothing to enhance his standing in a live action setting, and as his live action portrayal wasn’t great (again, imo), that places him low on my list of iconic live action Batmans.

4 Likes

I refuse to name either the best.

My top three will always be, Keaton , Conroy, and Bale.
with neither in 1 2 or third place. They each get their own separate worlds within the multiverse to enjoy.

3 Likes

My Favorites are

1. Will Arnett
  2. Bruce Greenwood ( I know he’s not in the poll)
  3. Adam West
3 Likes
3 Likes

I enjoy Ben Affleck. Which way to this demented Bizarro World? :joy:

4 Likes

In a galaxy far far away…

NO, not that galaxy!

3 Likes

Yeah that galaxy has its own fandom issues. I’ll just stick around here with you guys and hope you can tolerate my Bizarro dementia :grin:

3 Likes

Oh, you have that? Eat four rolled-up Superman comics, drink 12 shots of vodka with fudge in the bottom of the glasses, and do a handstand.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Bump.

3 Likes

Also:

4 Likes

As someone who has never seen any of the live-action Batman movies, I can’t imagine seeing anyone with pupils as a Batman. It just doesn’t compute.

4 Likes

Someone might have already said this but

Michael Keaton has only played one, (maybe two after Flash comes to theaters) but Keven Conroy has played at least 10 versions of Batman.

6 Likes

Agreed. The only Batman allowed to have pupils is the version from the Arkham games.

2 Likes

Right! There’s something to say about someone having both quantity and quality. Conroy is the bar and likely always will be.

4 Likes

I agree

4 Likes