Let's Read: Justice League: Gods & Monsters (2015)

7PM PT would also work. It is just later and i am still flexible. The 21st works for me because i have something going on the 20th (and Saturday evenings are for YJ until we run out of season 3).

And i still have to give my official view(s) on G&M 1-9.

1 Like

Let me first mention that I like that Hernan is the common thread between Kirk and Bekka.

When they were facing Imperiex, the voice narrating is what sells the story. It’s hard to describe what i mean.

I also want to cheat and go off your impressions and thoughts.

2 Likes

I switched the time for the watch-along back to 5 because there is already another watch-along happening that day and didn’t want to step on their toes. Hope that still works for you. And of course, Young Justice takes priority!

I do like that we jump into G&M with Hernan already having established relationships with Kirk and Bekka. I like that he’s the unifying factor as well. It really gives him the important role he is supposed to fill, but sometimes doesn’t in the main continuity.

LOL, I do that sometimes too. I’ll post my thoughts on all 9 issues later today :slight_smile:

No sweat on the time; I wouldn’t want to step on someone else’s watch along toes either.

I noticed that there were some lines in G&M books that were also in the movie. Kirk with a rat in his mouth is what sticks out the most.

Another moment when facing Imperiex is both Bekka and Kirk go to help Hernan and he tells them he doesn’t and never needed them. But it is this battle that I wanted to see, the choices they make that unify this trinity.

I also liked that Imperiex is dr psycho from Bekka’s past.

1 Like
  1. What were your thoughts/feelings on the villain(s)?

I thought they were solid. The Forever People had cool designs. The revelation with Fastback was sad. It didn’t really go anywhere though. It showed Dr. Psycho was cruel and not the benevolent person he claimed he was. They glossed over the war between the Forever People, but they couldn’t dedicate too much time to it.

I wonder if Dr. Psycho actually thought he was a good guy or if he was just doing it for the money/power. I did like that we got to see him from his early villain stage with the Hairies, to his Alpert stage, and then his Imperiex stage. It was cool how his rivalry with Bekka persisted throughout the series from Bekka’s origin issues. It was really cool to see her reject the idea of the forever process being used on her. She then took the loss of the Mother Box and figure out how to use that as an advantage against Imperiex. Bekka then delivered the swift blade that ended Alpert/Imperiex/Psycho.

1. Who do you believe should be the leader of this League?

To me, it’s pretty clear it should be Superman. Sometimes, in regular continuity, you get the feeling it should be Batman and rarely you get the feeling it should be Wonder Woman. I felt this was pretty cut and dry. Superman brought them together (although I did like that Bekka and Kirk were able to build a rapport while Superman was out). Hernan is just very happy taking the lead/spotlight. He likes being the focus and the other two like operating from the background.

1. Are there any scenes you found particularly compelling?

I actually forgot about the rat scene in the movie as I haven’t seen it in a while, but it still struck me in the comics as a very powerful scene. It was almost a throwaway line, but it showed more dimensions to Hernan and why Kirk would be loyal to him.

I also found Bekka’s journey and character arc compelling. I mentioned in my review to the individual stories that Bekka’s was probably my least favorite (though I still liked it) because it suffered from having to set up the 9 issues after. I also said she felt different to me than the Bekka from the movie. By the end of G&M #9, I completely understood how she was the Bekka from the movie/Machinima shorts. I understood how she went from trying to take the peaceful route with the Forever People, to taking Hernan’s route after. It all just tied in extremely well.

I also gotta add, I love that this Lois has no love for Superman. It was honestly one of the biggest highlights having Lois narrate the G&M book while throwing jabs at Superman. When Lois was voicing her concerns about the “gods” that she deemed monsters, it felt real. I actually bought her as being concerned and not hateful to be a foil to the League. She just really did view them as a threat.

1. Do you want to explore more of this world and this League?

Yes! Well, we will be doing the watch-along on Sunday. That’s going to refresh me on more of the world. I could see this universe being used more. More movies, an animated show, more comics. It’s really rich and incorporates the canon continuity into its own continuity in an interesting way. I could spend more time with the Trinity that was created here and then eventually expand into a 7 leaguer roster. Bummer the second season of the Machinima shorts were axed and that the first batch are nowhere to be found. The version of Brainiac introduced in Superman’s short was top-notch.

1 Like

I forgot about those questions…

1 Like

No worries. You don’t have to answer the questions. They’re really just there as a guide if you need them, which I did :sweat_smile:

I didn’t mind that they didn’t spend a lot of time on the Forever War (i think that’s how it was referred to) because the result was the most important. I am not surprised that Hernan went for the treatment and i wanted it to be about to see what would happen, but it was most likely about more power. The imperiex arc was excellent, including its conclusion. I am sure part of his motivation was power and/or money (in certain circles, money equals power), but his intentions were right in his mind; he is the hero of his story.

There as also the claim that the appearence of Superman and Wonder Woman is what caused the creation of the Forever People. The Forever People were the culmination of Dr Psycho’s experiments before his final experiment on himself to become Imperiex. So it was sort of coincidence.

The Leader would depend on the situation. In combat, in most cases, Superman is ideal. The one to sway the trinity to agree to the Waller/Trevor/Luthor deal was Kirk.

I am not sure if this qualifies as compelling, but i did like how Mother Box was what broke Imperiex’s mind control. And from the Box’s remains came their victory.

I would like to see more of this world, but i will have to see what else i can pull out of it on this next re-watch. The books kept it pretty much as tight as possible with the trinity’s usual related characters. Waller as president vs her usual back room shenanigans is almost perfect. Steve Trevor almost stays the same as government official/secret agent, except assigned. And Lex Luthor is more about science than himself.

1 Like

I do believe that Dr. Psycho thought he was doing the right thing and for the right reasons, for the most part. I just can’t see how he would justify what he did with Fastback. He was letting her die unless she paid him more money she didn’t have. Even his explanation as to why he was doing that didn’t feel like he was coming from a place where he actually felt like the hero of his story.

You’re right. Dr. Psycho had been experimenting on people in the commune before Bekka even showed up. I could see Luthor and the rest viewing it as a cause and effect with Wonder Woman and Superman leading to the Forever People though. Like Lois makes clear, they only know what they know and there is plenty they don’t know. Waller, Steve, and the government hid a lot in their reports and possibly even made up testimony from Kirk.

Good point about Kirk. I still view that as more of an advisor. I see it the same as how the League agreed to try Bekka’s way of peace with the Forever People first and then went with Hernan’s method. Hernan was willing to go with what Kirk said, but if he saw it didn’t work out, Hernan would take the lead and do it his way.

I liked that too. Dr. Psycho had treated life as just something he could shape into whatever he wanted. He was also trying to subjugate everyone under his control, taking over their minds. Psycho treating the Mother Box like nothing ended up costing him, just like with Fastback.

This Luhor did interest me. I would like to see more of him. Waller and Trevor really are pretty much the same as in the main continuity. I like that because we get to see how those characters interact with different versions of the League.

I could have used the questions to get things moving instead of waiting for you to comment off of. Hopefully, it is not bad form to continue the discussion even though it is past deadline.

Pr Psycho putting the screws to Fastback was more to show us what he was all about. He has a Forever People process to perfect. and that takes money. I am sure in his mind, he felt justified in telling Fastback she will have to pay full price for another dose.

I really like that they used Kirk Langstrom as Batman in this. Because he is not Bruce Wayne, it makes it more okay for this Batman to kill. Making Kirk’s transformation into a vampire (vs The Manbat) is stroke of genius imho. Another moment i remember from the movie (which makes me all the more eager for the watch along) is when you first see the trinity and my first reaction was “Batman can fly!” Then i watched them kill a bunch a guys.

1 Like

Go ahead and comment for however long you’d like. If a thought comes to you a week from now, I’d still love to read it :slight_smile:

I really do like Kirk being the Batman. There was a line in one of the comics that called him a Man-Bat and it was a cool little nod. You hit the nail on the head. Since, these are different characters, it’s easier to take in what they do. Yes, they are Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman. They’re not Bruce, Diana, or Clark though and that makes it so that you can easily let go of previous notions of who the characters are.

They still managed to make the characters fit the Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman mold enough to give us a sense of familiarity. The books definitely make me interested in seeing how my perspective of the movie will change.

The essence of the heroes is certainly there. and i forgot to mention that i never saw the machinima (sp?) shorts.

1 Like

I’m still holding out hope the shorts find their way onto DC Universe.

That would be the only way for me to see them.

1 Like

I searched for the reading order and every site had it different so I’ve been waiting til I’m sure. Usually fandom or comicbookreadingorders are solid, rare time where they were different & some issues weren’t even included. If anyone knows the correct order and could list it here I’d sincerely appreciate it. No pressure tho I know it’s a pain.

1 Like

@djd, have you watched the movie yet? I didn’t give it a chance for the longest time it was literally the only animated movie I had not seen. I just didn’t think it was going to be good. I was like “Vampire batman thats silly” oh man was I wrong this move was amazing and now the comics are on my super long To-read-list.

3 Likes

Also thank you to nu52 because I most likely would not have given it a chance but after reading her amazing story on the Fan Creation Thread “Jason and the Argonauts” I thought well if she likes this its probably good.
@djd buddy I know your a big reader, when you get the chance you should totally check out “Jason and the Argonauts”
ok I’m done throwing butter at nu52 lol.

3 Likes

AquamonC137

Yes I actually thought the exact same thing when I watched it & had the exact same reaction. I watched it on fire stick b4 this site was up. I’ve seen Jason and the argonauts it’s actually one of my all time favorite movies never read it tho. Yes on the Batman tho I had the same reaction as u and same hesitancy to watch it.

2 Likes

I bought the Becca figure maybe 3 days after I watched that movie. It’s still one of my favorites they did a perfect job. It looks identical to her character even has the boom tube button on the sword and comes with a stand like the btas and stas figures.

2 Likes

@djd thats so funny man I swear we are like minded on things. Yes Jason and the Argonauts was one of my favorite movies as a kid too! Thats why I decided to read it. It was the first Fan story I have read on here. It is not like the movie though but don’t worry its great. its about Amazons and Fourth World stuff, need I say more to get you hooked?

3 Likes