Let's Be Honest

If Green Arrow was a real vigilante, his facial hair would easily give away his identity.

-M

21 Likes

It was discussed on several occasions in the comics. I think the First was in Mike Grell’s run but the best discussion happened during Kevin Smith’s run…

17 Likes

I’m imagining the police line-up in case Green Arrow is ever accused of a crime.

“All right boys, let’s round up all the usual blond goatee suspects.”

— Somebody please draw this.

17 Likes

@UnLagunas : So true. In the classic Green Lantern/Green Arrow #87, (Dec/Jan. '71/'72) Oliver Queen ponders running for mayor of Star City. He calls his “super-friends” for advice and Clark Kent tells him…“Ridiculous! Where would your secret identity be with two blond, bearded public figures in town?”.

5 Likes

I’d like to think that it’s his way of blending in. Maybe blond goatees are the most common type of facial hair in the DC Universe :wink:

4 Likes

Well, there is precedent:

4 Likes

This thread reminds me of an issue of Deathstroke where Robin calls Ravenger “Rose” and she is surprised. He responded something like “well you narrow the field down to Asian females living in Gotham with SILVER HAIR and the list of suspects drops pretty low.”

I still laugh out load when I remember that.

8 Likes

I have limited knowledge on any explanation, but in my mind Green Arrow becomes a public superhero leading to people seeing his glorious beard and deciding to adopt the look for themselves. Oliver then has a perfect cover now that lots of other guys are copying GA’s look.

4 Likes

In the comics isn’t he from Seattle? I imagine there are many hipsters up there with similar facial hair.

3 Likes

Hahah. I think these little suspensions of reality when it comes to superheroes’ identity are part of comics’ charm.

Like Clark and his glasses. Or Batman being a Gothamite with billions of dollars in weaponry and goods.

7 Likes

You have to give Clark credit, he makes a specific effort to act clumsily and meek in front of his coworkers, even adding a bit of a slouch.
Image result for clark kent frank quitely
-M

10 Likes

@UnLagunas makes me think of the chin face meme…

4 Likes

shudders It still haunts me at night.
-M

4 Likes

He was from Star City but moved to Seattle in the 80’s or 90’s, then after he died and was resurrected with no memory of anything after the Green Lantern/Green Arrow: Hard Traveling Heroes arc, he immediately went back to Star City because as far as he knew, he never moved.

1 Like

… and yet, for some reason, he still thinks he needs to wear his tiny mask in the shower … :thinking:

6 Likes

There aren’t.

2 Likes

@KeyFamily True, mere hipsters could never match the magnificence of Ollie’s beard.

1 Like

@TravisMorgan and @reload

For Clarity: “Hipsters” are old Seattle. It’s not like that anymore.

2 Likes

@KeyFamily @reload So the hipsters couldn’t afford the rent? :grinning:

1 Like

There’s no hiding that chin though

3 Likes