LET'S ARGUE: Batman Forever is not a bad movie

I honestly think it’s not as terrible as people make it out to be. It’s definitely got some problems with the writing, and making Two-Face campy was a poor decision, but it’s solid enough.

3 Likes

The minute Chris O’Donnell said :"Holy Rusted Metal Batman!"I felt my stomach turn. Now let me be clear! I am a huge fan of Batman '66 and Adam West! I grew up on that show. It’s what made me a bat-fan in the first place. But the truth was that show was OF…IT’S…TIME!!! and that time was long since gone. Batman had moved on from that campy ridiculousness and while it could be said in hindsight that Batman 89 and Batman Returns were a different kind of campiness they still were far more in keeping with Batman as a creature of the night than '66 was and with each film they were looking to head deeper down that path. However, when Schumaker took over…It was like his avowed mission was to re-instate Batman '66 for the 90s. That said it was way better than Batman and Robin. andI will watch it without …too much coercion…on a REALLY!!! dull day!

At the time of its release and given how dark Batman Returns was, it was a refreshing change of pace. It’s now dated given what followed in the DC movie universe, but I like the movie.

1 Like

I can’t argue b/c in this case I agree. Batman Forever wasn’t that bad. Val was an awesome Bruce Wayne and I thought Jim Carrey as the Riddler was great highlight of the movie. Jones as Harvey Dent on the other hand, what a weird interpretation of Two-Face. It was border line Joker. Everything else was fine.

1 Like

The camp is bad but not as bad as Batman & Robin’s and the dark/serious elements save the film. It’s like a hybrid of 60’s Batman and The Animated Series.

Val Kilmer is so underrated as Batman and especially as Bruce Wayne!

Is it the best? Absolutely not, but I agree in terms of lists of best to worst, it’s probably in the middle.

1 Like

My personal opinion is that it’s a good film, folks! I mean compare it to Batman and Robin and the movie deserves an oscar - I’ll take Val Kilmer in the cowl over George Clooney any day!

1 Like

George Clooney could have been a good Batman, definitely a good Bruce Wayne. He’s a pretty good actor. But I’d heard he knew how terrible the movie would be, so he played up the ridiculousness. In any case, he had to work with the script and direction he was given.

George Clooney could have been a good Batman, definitely a good Bruce Wayne. He’s a pretty good actor. But I’d heard he knew how terrible the movie would be, so he played up the ridiculousness. In any case, he had to work with the script and direction he was given.