Let’s Talk Michael Dorn’s Steelworks

Coming in June, Steel voice actor Michael Dorn will be writing the Dawn of DC title Steelworks!

The Metropolis of the future is here today, but can it survive a terrorist who’s out for revenge against its builder, John Henry Irons—a.k.a. Steel—and his company, Steelworks…and who possesses secrets that could undo everything John has worked so hard to build? While John’s professional life is firing on all cylinders, his personal life is even better, as his on-again, off-again relationship with Lana Lang might be back on, permanently. Now he must decide whether it’s time to give up being Steel once and for all. But does John even know who he would be without his superhero identity? How does the other Steel—John’s niece, Natasha Irons—feel about his momentous decision? And does any of that matter if Steelworks crumbles around him when he lacks the superpowers to fight back?

10 Likes

I’ll start.

I’m not a super-fan of Steel by any means, but having Michael Dorn writing the book makes me much more interesting in picking it up. I swear though, I finally jumped on board the DCUI Ultra train and now I am still going to end up buying several of the Dawn of DC titles.

4 Likes

Not really a Steel fan myself. I don’t hate him. No, I just don’t have strong opinions about this superman character to say I am interested. I’ll definitely read it after the series first issue makes it to the DC infinite service. Who knows, if I really like it, I might add it to a new playlist featuring other tech-based black heroes like Hardware and Batwing. I’ll call it The Iron Men playlist.

5 Likes

That’s so awesome, I’ve met him once, he’s such a nice and funny guy! He does a great job playing the voice of Steel, anlong with Kalibak, can’t wait to read the comic! Wonder if he’ll make any Star Trek references to the book. :grinning:

7 Likes

That was a thought I had as well. :scarecrowlaughhqtas:

4 Likes

I’ve been reading more Superman comics the past several years, so I’ve become more of a Steel fan. That alone would’ve had me excited about the book, but having Michael Dorn write it has me really interested.

I really hope there’s at least a reference to engineering, and maybe shield levels, or something like that. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I find it really interesting that DC has really started hiring actors (voice and live-action) to write the characters they play. That alone guarantees that the work is a passion project. I’m definitely going to check this series out.

7 Likes

Definitely hyped for this! Always glad to get new Steel content. Can’t wait to read it later this year!

5 Likes

I know what you mean. Camrus Johnson wrote this short story in Urban legends for Batwing. A character he played as in the CW Batwoman show and honestly it’s pretty great.

I think my favorite moment in his story was how Camrus Johnson gives small insight on how Luke feels about his brother, Timothy “Jace” Fox. Writer John Ridley was making Tim as a new Batman and one who has a contentious relationship with his younger brother who just outright hates him.

This guy knows this character and that’s certainly cool to see someone who understands how Luke Fox works even in the mainline books.

8 Likes

Steelworks was already on my reading radar when it was initially announced. I’m always game for Steel getting his own gig, especially when Natasha is along for the ride.

As a huge, lifelong fan of both DC and Star Trek however, Steelworks is now my second most-anticipated Dawn of DC title (Superman having been the first) and its precisely because Worf (and the DCAU Kalibak, let’s not forget) is writing it.

Please give us an honorable read, Mr. Dorn. In return, I shall purchase you a prune juice worthy of Kahless.

SN: Its great that in yesterday’s announcement we got Hawkgirl, which is written by Jadzia Axelrod.

Worf and a Jadzia writing comics?

Jadzia Dax would be proud. Yes, she would.

10 Likes

I am interested in the comic. It will be fun to see where it goes.

I almost saw Michael Dorn in Anthony and Cleopatra at the Orlando Shakespeare Theatre. I used to take my Mom there when I flew down every March. They would often double plays so we would see the same set of actors in two different plays. We saw Love’s Labour’s Lost and The Great Gatsby as opposed to Anthony and Cleopatra and some other play, and it was only while looking at the posters in the theater I realised we missed out on our Michael Dorn moment as he was playing Anthony!

I would feel worse about it but Anthony and Cleopatra is probably my least favorite ones, although maybe he would have changed my mind.

8 Likes

Cool!

4 Likes

Two different plays in one day? Damn, that’s impressive.

6 Likes

It is the way of the warrior and worthy of great honor.

5 Likes

Haven’t read anything new from DC in some time now. Always liked Steel. Didn’t know Worf was a writer. Might be okay, would be more interested if the story gave more info about the villain or threat, rather than about personal conflicts. Those stories are good and all, just kind of want to have steel know he’s steel and get to fighting the bad guys and making tech LOL.

2 Likes

So, news (DC First Look Preview: Steelworks #1 | DC) indicates that Steelworks is a 6 issue miniseries (with, of course, the potential for renewal, since they’re calling it a “limited series”, which I think is code for “stealth mini unless sales are ridiculous”). I’m most excited to see what Steel and Lana are up to, personally, as I really liked their dynamic in Superwoman!

5 Likes

I am fine with it.

3 Likes

I’m hoping Steelworks picks up on threads from Superwoman, as that was a fun read that ended far too soon.

I won’t be surprised if Steelworks doesn’t pick up on a title that ended years ago, as it may be a stretch.

If Dorn and crew do go to those lengths however, I’ll drink a prune juice in recognition of their honorable efforts.

4 Likes

I hope it will! :smiley:

4 Likes

I already said this somewhere else but I’m hoping this series does become successful enough for a ongoing where we can get a cameo with Batwing. Two tech focus superheroes who took huge inspirations from their heroes Superman/Batman.

1 Like