Let’s Talk About Dawn of DC: Power Girl

Power Girl #1 arrives on Sept. 5, 2023, from writer Leah Williams, Eduardo Pansica and variant cover artist Jonboy Meyers. Equipped with new powers and a new name following the events of Lazarus Planet and Action Comics , Power Girl will see Paige enter a new era as she tries to save Superman and his family from an ultra-deadly threat. DC teased of the series, “After the events of Knight Terrors a long-dormant Kryptonian threat has returned to take down Superman and his family. Who could possibly stop it? Well, according to Superman, it’s Power Girl.”

It’s spinning out of May’s Power Girl Special……

11 Likes

Fan of PG, really looking forwars to thus new series! :heart:

6 Likes

Superfan of PG. Looking forward to this series.

But I truly hate that they are calling her Paige now. Just call her Kara. That’s who she is.

9 Likes

Again, I like the marching band-esque red patches.

4 Likes

I’m not sure who this Power Girl is. is she the one from the Worlds’ Finest series with Huntress from the Earth 2 where Kal El died? That Power Girl was confident and sure of herself, this one not so much.

Even the Power Girl from the silly series about D level heroes for hire was more like classic PG than this one. Karen Starr was a good character and I just don’t know what is happening with this Paige person. If she is the PG from Earth 2 how did she get stuck here again? We just saw the Earth 2 Superman Val Zod in Jon Kent’s book why isn’t he looking for PG?

Like I said, I don’t know who this Power Girl is and where she came from.

8 Likes

I have to say, I’m bummed that this is the book they’re spinning out into its own series. I have not been enjoying the backups at all. It’s cool that Kara is getting some spotlight with the huge push on the Superfamily, but I just wish they would have gotten a stronger team on it (writing wise. The art has been fantastic.)

7 Likes

I am so excited about this!

5 Likes

I checked out her first backup and gave up after one issue.

5 Likes

I’m pretty jazzed about this. I have been enjoying the backups in Action Comics. I wish it was more of an original character situation instead of Power Girl and Omen since both of those characters feel like they are being mischaracterized. Either way, I have been enjoying the story and the art is beautiful. Plus if you put Johnny Sorrow in a anything, you have my money. Hoping they stick around going forward.

8 Likes

I am honestly more interested for Johnny Sorrow than Power Girl.

5 Likes

Ultra is making it easier for me to check out new or e y books as they hit the Dawn of DC. I’m definitely down for giving PG a read.

4 Likes

After finishing the Power Girl Special, I must admit it was a little disappointing to me. Paige doesn’t feel much like the Power Girl I know. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

I will say after the Powergirl special I’m disappointed because I want to see more and I feel like this was a holdout for something more in the Powergirl series. Hopefully Omen returns because I really like her friendship with Karen/paige/Powergirl.

Likewise this doesn’t matter now but knowing that Powergirl says in this story that she never saw herself as part of the superman Family, I didn’t know how I felt about it, but I get it now. It’s sorta my own view on how Helena Wayne and how her Family is more with the JSA than with the Bat-family. So it’s resolved now but I did like the idea Leah Williams was working with.

4 Likes

I had that same issue. I am no longer interested especially as “Paige” feels like a completely different character.

5 Likes

I liked the Power Girl Special. Posted my full reactions here:

I really enjoyed the Action back-ups too. I’m a bit confused about all the negative reactions. I’ve been reading these nice little dives into superhero psychology, hang-up, and trauma that have managed to do a lot with limited page space. They star a Power Girl who can be a bit quick to temper and who pushes people away just as she pretty much always has. Aside from the fact that she now goes by Paige (which I could take or leave though it was a nice moment when she got the name), she has felt like the same, old Power Girl to me. The concept has been a strange twist in PG’s tale, but, I really do believe it’s been genuinely good.

4 Likes

I’ve been a Power Girl fan since before Crisis on Infinite Earths. I’ve always made an effort to collect all of the issues that Power Girl appeared in. I enjoyed the pre-Flashpoint Power Girl, and even the new Flashpoint Earth-2 version of Power Girl. I was happy to see the pre-Flashpoint Power Girl return to comics along with the JSA.

However, this revamp of Power Girl makes her unrecognizable to long time fans. This is not our Kara. Changed her costume, OK it’s passable. Changed her name, NO she is forever Kara in my mind and not this new Paige. Paige is someone else. Changed her powers, giving her an astral punch to help other heroes overcome mental problems? Not the kind of stories that many Power Girl fans want to read. Maybe Power Girl can use these powers against herself to knock herself back to the way that she used to be. Come on DC, you know that fans are resistant to change when it comes to their favorite characters.

Why does this Paige person swear so much? Heroes should set a good example to others, no swearing! She swears as much as Lobo!

I love that Power Girl is getting her own series, but I’m not sure that I want to read this version of Power Girl. Remember the DC Rebirth principle, stick to the best traits of the characters that fans love. Don’t change the character so much that you turn off the fans and sink your sales.

7 Likes

I am sure I do not want to read it.

3 Likes

Finally got around to reading the PG special. Regarding PG’s new costume, I actually kinda dig it. As for the astral punching, I could see it being used for a special situation like this special issue but then losing it and going back to her regular abilities. I don’t see her astral punching becoming a regular thing.

I don’t mind her swearing. Although she could pull it back a touch. I see her as being more likely to swear, but it should be used when it has more dramatic or comedic weight. As for her being called Paige…yea, that does legit bother me

3 Likes

Read the first issue of the PG book. I’m fully on board with the anti-Paige train. It feels like a complete contradiction of inner stregth and self-assured confidence I always associated with PG. And I also don’t like how every member of the Super Family is always criticizing how Power Girl handles things. And then that makes me think why isn’t the writing showing how smart and strategic a veteran hero like her should be handling things instead of what it is currently making her do

4 Likes

I am enjoying it so far, I am caught up with her new powers, and still find it interesting that she is sorta still working through being one of two Karas’ and still feeling like she doesn’t belong, but obviously does belong. I also like how she kept her Power Girl identity and modified it, and was surprised it wasn’t the first time, but coming up with Paige I thought was fun.

I would like to see her down the road more involved in the Super Family… Or perhaps see her lead her own version of a Justice League, for some kinda story line.

P.G needs lots more TLC from DC.

6 Likes