Let’s Talk About Anything DC

Ok that works better

2 Likes

Actually Caliban volunteered to be his servant. That is the power of sharing rum.

3 Likes

For somebody who never drinks I do really like reading about drunks.

4 Likes

Tim Drake has plenty of close calls with death.

I don’t know them all but I know in Detective Comics he was seemingly killed by the colony.

And again when shot in the neck by apparently the world’s greatest henchman in Batman.

Seriously, can nobody appreciate the dumb luck it took to shoot a robin.

What a insane legend.

5 Likes

That is the one I just read that sparked my intrest in Tim perishing

4 Likes

You forgot when he could not tell I was a girl. I nearly shut his brain off on the spot.

4 Likes

Fair point.

Let’s be real though…

Animal-Vegetable-Mineral-Man (pre-crisis) would be the best Caliban

5 Likes

I admit it’s a bit silly but I admire them so much for being friendships that genuinely inspire me. I laugh and cry with these people, even if one became a official relationship(Poison Ivy and Harley) there friendships will always be more important above everything else.

TimKon

4 Likes

The kind of rivalry Tim Drake fans and Damian Wayne fans have (less on here and more so on Twitter and such, where the fans will literally battle to the death) is so funny to me as a fan of both of them. Because like, yeah I think it’s kind of funny when Tim and Damian fight because of how unnecessarily intense it is between them sometimes, but above all else they are just brothers to me and they have a weird rivalry sometimes and who cares. But some Tim fans would literally stab fans of Damian and vice versa and I don’t get it because I am massive fans of both of them and I would not fight someone who had a preference over one or the other

3 Likes

Despite being a 2000s kid, I never really grew up with dc comics. I only got into them in the 2010s. Damian Wayne was my Robin first and when I found about Tim Drake in Bendis Young Justice, I swear to god I thought it was Dick Grayson in a flashback.

I gotten to liking a lot about Tim Drake later on but it wasn’t in DC comics. I gotten liking him from the community and those people who explain to me why he was important…

Did you check out #65 of the webtoon Batman Wayne Family Adventures? Your comment reminds me exactly of this situation.

Tim Drake and Damian Wayne finally have a heart to heart, an conversation about their apparent rivalry. Tim Drake is more willing to deal with this problem but Damian is reluctant to give it attention. Tim eventually figures out Damian is actually somewhat jealous of Tim. Damian explains that Tim is someone who wasn’t born or recruited by Batman but rather choose this life and he excelled in it. He wonder how someone is able to live up to Tim Drake achievement.

Tim Drake is surprised because for a long time, he thought he would never live up to being a Robin. Bruce gave him this chance and now he had to prove his worth. It was hard to live up to be robin and it was this realization that Tim Drake was able to accept that being a Robin is deciding on the kind of hero you would be.

4 Likes

That’s one of my favorite episodes of WFA. It handled their rivalry or whatever it is so much better than it ever has been in comics.

3 Likes

When I was reading the Bat-family webtoon series. I’m surprised and mad at myself for not reading about #75-76.

It has Luke Fox Batwing and Duke Thomas Signal finally have a scene together and I love it. I love their conversations with each other and how it was just them. Two relative newcomers to the Bat-family and two of which are black superheroes.

Duke asks Luke how he worries if his metahuman powers are the only reason he was chosen by Batman. If he is worthy of being a hero, trying hard to prove himself to the entire Bat-family that he was good enough to be a hero.

Luke my favorite character couldn’t have said this any better.

God bless you Luke Fox and Duke Thomas, go be a inspiration to all young people out there because you two are certainly that.

3 Likes

This probably belongs on a Batwoman thread but I don’t know if it will make sense to put this comment there, so I’ll just put it here.

After watching Jenny Nicholson YouTube video about Vampire diaries and seeing how this show totally mistreated Bonnie, the witch character who basically was this great character misused to only help Elena and the rest of the gang as primary a utilitarian character who majority of the time has no significance to the storylines except to help people.
(That video is over 2 hours long, so here’s another one that is short and funny about how they waste and gaslight Bonnie and her actress talents)

Even when she became the protagonist for a season, she was mistreated by avoiding any main love interest and still just the character who helped everyone out.

The showrunner of that show Caroline Dries
(The woman who you can see on the far right of the couch in the beginning of the video) was also the showrunner of Batwoman.

She did the same exact thing in Batwoman with Camrus Johnson’s Luke Fox character. A prominent and substantial supporting character who contributed to helping the protagonist in the show more often than not and yet was never treated as a significant part of it.
Despite being arguably the smartest person on the team and with the Batwing suit, the most powerful hero in Gotham, Luke Fox was treated as an pushover who was just around to explain things, build gadgets, and get corrected by Kate whenever she disagrees with him on something.

By season 3. Even as Batwing, they gave him a arc dealing with anxiety of being a hero, recovering from a crippled arm, and be locked out the Bat cave. We never saw him in the batwing suit for a majority of the show. Making him just be a tech guy who does nothing again and gets kidnapped and beaten up.

It doesn’t help that both Bonnie and Luke were played black actors and only were around to help their white protagonists. And no. Just because the Batwoman series changed the main character to a black woman in season 2 doesn’t change the way they treated him in season 1.

Camrus Johnson brings his best scenes when he is removed from Batwoman and they are the best moments of the show.

3 Likes

The Wildstorm incorporation into the DC universe is really odd to me. A lot of concepts big and small are present in their own universe that I thought streamlining it to fit the DC universe in WILDCATS 2022 was going to help, but I was so wrong.

I’m honestly more confused by what Matthew Rosenberg is doing than anything else with this reboot. Many ideas like making Fairchild into a actual child is really weird especially when they imply it’s the same thing with Majestic.
Screenshot_20230327_182351_Infinite

As well as attempting to downplay Zealot’s in-universe name for Zannah, when most readership are familiar with Zealot, and are just gonna call her that. Especially when even the solicitations call her Zealot.

It’s all these Wildstorm elements added here just littered about with no proper introduction for new readers is so confusing as well.
Wildstorm is such a expansive world you think it requires proper explanation. Such as in the Warren Ellis series.

Little things that just getting added a top of each other that contradict established ideas of Wildstorm in a hand wave kind of way that make this a odd reading experience.

I guess I’m somewhat disappointed because the Milestone universe did this so much better when they were incorporated into the DC universe back into the 2000s.

4 Likes

This week out of nowhere I’ve become really interested in reading about Kate Kane and idk why but we’ll see how long this lasts

5 Likes

She has a major role in the most recent Scooby-Doo comic posted here.

5 Likes

The first time I read Watchmen, I read it in it’s entirely. But for the next two times (I think just two) I skipped the Black Freighter comic-in-a-comic parts. Even when I watch the extended cut version of the movie. I skip it.

It just totally takes me out of the story. Maybe that’s the point? I guess it’s supposed to add subtext/mood to the primary story but I dunno. I’d rather just get to the main plot.

I recently learned about the actual real world history of that comic, which is cool. But as for enjoying Watchmen, I skip.

I must be wrong, right? I get why they cut it in the theatrical release, but as a comic fan I feel a bit guilty.

6 Likes

I seriously want to thank @TheBatgirlofNML for recommending the Green Lantern: Circle of Fire here:

My god was it a great read.
https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/-/d64a7000-56cc-48b4-863a-a76ea7000f8d

I won’t say anything that might spoil the story but I enjoyed learning more about Kyle Rayner from here. I wouldn’t say he’s my favorite Green Lantern but he is a damn great character that’s for sure.

This is a spoil free discussion but I do think I want to share some things in the book that I thought were interesting or even funny.

First off, Kyle creating comics is such a self-insert but I love it because his struggles are relatable. Second was that I didn’t know the Circle of Fire arc was written by one of the greatest comic writers in modern times brian k vaughan. No wonder I love this volume so much.

During the first act, we are introduced to a Green Lantern Manhunter who fights for good. Saying they were reprogrammed and were a rare unit to become a Green Lantern.

Knowing the Oans track record with Manhunters I’m 100 percent sure they just grabbed hammers and started bashing the poor thing until it became good.

An visual simulation on what occurred:

:slight_smile:

After the fantastic storyline that was Circle of Fire, we are given an arc written by Judd Winick
Involving Kyle getting kidnapped by the Manhunters and fighting a familiar and new foe who wears a Yellow lantern ring. I got some small opinions about everything that occurred there that I would like to share here.

Apparently the Manhunters have made a power glove that looks shockingly familiar to any Green Lantern fan and anyone who read Young Justice with Teen Green Lantern.
Second is that Kyle looks fantastic with that new haircut.

I love the moments where Kyle hang with John Stewart and Guy Gardner. The trio of Green lanterns before Hal came back and ruined it by making it a foursome.

Kyle, as a fan of Friends, Fraiser, Cheers, and Golden Girls…You are absolutely right :smile:

Batman branded grenades. Couldn’t help himself could he?

This next part my be partially spoiler territory. It’s not connected to Circle of Fire and this unfortunately never went anywhere, so I will block out the image and text just to be fair.

I always been interested in Kyle’s relationship with Jade and unfortunately when I found out this happened it made me even more upset.

I am so done with superheroes getting together and it never going anywhere. Especially when Heroes apparently have a proactive to get with their villains or people who associate with villains like Kyle and Soranik Natu. Not everyone is Batman/Catwoman, so that’s got to stop.

I really loved Circle of fire and highly recommended it for any Rayner fan but also as a great series from the 2000s.

6 Likes

Help! I want to like Martian Manhunter, so what should I read?

6 Likes

Glad you liked it! What did you think of the main villain’s true identity and the twist that went with it? I love that story. One of the greatest DC stories ever in my opinion. It cemented me as a solid Kyle fan (though that has dwindled steadily since…)

4 Likes