Let’s Talk About Anything DC

There that’s it that’s their characters in a nutshell

2 Likes

Just found out Hasan Minhaj voiced The Riddler.

Truly shocked that I’m just now finding out about this

2 Likes

Tom Kalamaku’s ethnic background is frustratingly and surprisingly slippery. Officially, he’s Inuit, but I’ve seen references that claim he’s Asian, PLUS his last name is Hawaiian.

2 Likes

Maybe his name got changged. That happens all the time.

5 Likes

I just finished reading Galaxy: The prettiest Star and while I liked it, I have a question about the character Galaxy (Taylor Barzelay) and more specifically about the themes it presents here on whether galaxy’s an allegorical transgender person or a actual one?

The graphic novel has Taylor disguises herself as a boy through shape-shifting, but towards the end decides to identify with her actual gender she had, and the problem I have is if galaxy would qualify as a transgender character if she was actually corresponding to her gender identity she had at birth. For me, wouldn’t it make sense if it was reversed, where galaxy, the alien princess, was initially disguising herself as a normal teenage girl, until she decided to shapeshift into a boy and finds herself comfortable with that form instead?

I do like the design of galaxy as a princess but I don’t know if I can agree about her being a transgender character.

2 Likes

Maybe it is actually about not changing yourself and how great it is to be you.

It could also mean the story is not that serious.

3 Likes

I mean considering she’s wearing a shirt with the trans flag on it I assume it’s intentional.

3 Likes

I love you John

3 Likes

Okay DC Detectives, I need some help: I have heard several references to JM DeMatteis’ 2001 Spectre run containing canon confirmation of Hal Jordan being Jewish. I have yet to see a panel containing said confirmation. I would greatly appreciate assistance.
@HubCityQuestion

2 Likes

I suspect that your sources are alluding to this particular panel, from DeMatteis’s The Spectre #21:

Of course, as is the case with many instances of so-called “canon confirmation” of character details, this particular reference could be very easily- and, in my opinion, correctly- interpreted as a joke, with Spectre villain Monsieur Stigmonious doing some wordplay regarding Spectre’s “temple.”

A more subtle acknowledgment of Hal’s Jewish heritage could be interpreted a little earlier in The Spectre #12, a Christmas issue. Here we get to see a young Hal Jordan celebrating Christmas with his family as a child. Hal’s mother notices he’s feeling upset, and tries to cheer him up with a round of “Deck the Halls” – but it quickly becomes apparent that she doesn’t know the tune or the words very well, as if she grew up without it.

(I reviewed every issue of the 2001 Spectre series this morning to get this answer for you. Good book! Hope it’s digitized someday.)

4 Likes

Sounds like a big reach. Many people are just bad at remembering lyrics.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m being charitable here.

4 Likes

Thank you SO much I really appreciate this!!! I’ve read bits and pieces of that run, mostly because it’s ridiculously hard to find copies of it

4 Likes

I love having ADHD because after watching anything I immediately forget everything so I can watch BTAS episodes and get surprised by the mysteries every time

3 Likes

I painted the Robin symbol because why not :00_robin:

7 Likes

Green is not my favorite color, yet I am very fond of characters with it.

Top of my head, DC characters like Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Enchantress are my favorite. But outside of DC comics, Tommy Oliver Green Ranger, Hulk, and the Teenage mutant turtles are my favorite thing to read/watch about.

4 Likes

A fellow man of taste, I see

2 Likes

I think GL stories are at their best when writers acknowledge that more than cockiness or arrogance or insecurity, Hal’s defining trait (besides, of course, his courage) is his empathy. He is kind, he is compassionate, he is sensitive, and above all, he’s very, very, human.

(New Frontiers and Green Lantern Darkseid Wars REALLY nail this side of the character)

6 Likes

I just finished reading Tom King’s Mr. Miracle.

And.

WOW.

I’ll post a fuller review after I’ve woken up a little but the short version is it was gorgeous, smart, funny, heartbreaking, confusing, and all those other wonderful and cliched words everyone uses to describe the book. It really read as a kind of love letter to Kirby and The New Gods

3 Likes

My ranking of every DCAOM film 2022 edition.

1 Tree Star

1. Injustice

2. Batman vs. Robin

3. Son of Batman

4. Batman Gotham Knights

5. Green Lantern Emerald Knights

6. The Killing Joke

7. Wonder Woman Bloodlines

8. Catwoman Hunted

9. Battle of the Supersons

2 Tree Stars

1. Justice League Dark