Let’s Talk About 2001: A Space Odyssey, Machine Man And Jack Kirby

This article appeared on Bleeding Cool recently:

The article is very interesting in that it implies that since Warners owns 2001: A Space Odyssey (the movie), they also own the series and the characters created for spinoff material.

Now, I don’t want to debate the copyright laws and bog the thread in legalities. What I do want to discuss is the idea that we could get a full reprint of Jack Kirby’s 2001: A Space Odyssey adaptation and subsequent 10 issue follow up series. This was part of his return to the distinguished competition after his stellar Fourth World DC books. I’ve never read it but am very interested to, especially since i see they’ve even written a book about it:

So tell me, have you read the adaptation? The follow up series? The Machine Man stories by Kirby and Steve Ditko? If so, what did you think? Are they worth reading? Should DC reprint them? Do you want to see this series on DC Universe Infinite?

Let’s talk about 2001: A Space Odyssey, Machine Man and Jack Kirby…

4 Likes

I read the 2001: A Space Odyssey Treasury 47 years ago and I remember the great Kirby art.

I still own it so I need to do a review on it and see if it holds up.

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/treasury-editions-from-those-other-guys/1844515

I also read Machine Man around the same time, but I don’t remember much. Another one I need to reread.

I did read the article you linked to and I wonder about DC trying to claim Machine Man. I believe Marvel holds the rights to characters that were created “outside” the products they licensed. Machine Man was not in the 2001: A Space Odyssey film so Marvel owns the IP. Just like they own Bug and Marionette from the Micronauts so there may be precedence to go against DC/Warners. It will be a colossal battle of the lawyers if they go head to head.

3 Likes

It all depends on the deal. That’s how IDW got to do the Dire Wraiths. Or how Marvel can now publish Dark Horse Aliens and Predator. Or how Titan can publish Marvel Conan. The 2001 deal means Warners owns the book and its spinoffs.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @rich.johnston. The owner of the IP and the licensee determine what can and cannot be printed. I definitely depends on what the deal is.

Dark Horse reprinted the both Marvel John Carter Warlord of Mars and the DC Tarzan by Joe Kubert when they had the license from ERB. Marvel got the John Carter license back and released a John Carter Omnibus when Disney released the ‘John Carter* movie. Now I believe Dynamite has the license.

2 Likes

I went to a Kirby Museum exhibit on his galactic gods material (Thor, Galactus, 2001, Enterals, Fourth World, ect), and they buetufiul ~30 in long version of a 2001 Comic. The art was amazing at such a large size! I asked one of curators why there isn’t in print anymore. He told me they have everything ready to go, hd scans of the original art and hd photos of mint copies of the comics. They jumped through preliminary hoops, but were ultimately told it ain’t happening bc of IP stuff. So if parties can come together the book and artist edition are ready to go.

3 Likes

It ain’t 2001 but Kirby’s Sky Masters is getting a deluxe reprint on zoop.

4 Likes

I read Kirby’s 2001: A Space Odyssey a while back. In my early 20’s I was tracking down a lot of Marvel first appearance issues and read it when I got to Machine Man. At first, I couldn’t get over how different it was from the movie and wondered who exactly this was even for. The more I read, though, the more I was won over by Kirby’s imagination and his grasp on the overall concepts of the film. Kirby is king.

Also, hi, @rich.johnston!

2 Likes