Legion of Superheroes (Film) Discussion

The movie came out today.

As of right now its IMDB reviews are very bad, so they hopefully go up.

3 Likes

I’m so excited to see this. :+1:

3 Likes

Found it at red box. I will watch it this afternoon.

1 Like

Saw it and enjoyed it.

Interesting opening seeing familiar faces from this verse. Cool depiction of Krypton and Kara’s connection there.

The legion was cool. Nice to see that I recognized a lot with my limited legion knowledge :sweat_smile:. But fun young hero adventure.

Knew Mon El was bad right away. But classic Brainiac returning was cool. A very creepy new looking. Definitely horror movie level stuff with his death.

Kara and Brainy’s relationship is sweet. His awkward into to Supes was fun.

The post credits. I definitely think it’s a tease to warworld with seems to be the next movie in this verse. But I have seen stuff saying the symbol at the end looks like Manhattans so maybe a future tease if doomsday clock :thinking:. (Probably most likely just warworld though.)

Overall a fun supergirl focused adventure in the tomorrowverse.

4 Likes

Pretty good movie. I think many legion fans will be upset since they very much take a back seat to Supergirl, but I could barely tell who most of these guys are.

I think the first half was rather dull mostly, and then it really picked up later after the big villain reveal.

I really liked the opening scene on Krypton. Most of the next few scenes were too cliche and predictable for me. It still had some decent detective work. The fights were very good. The ending stinger was very good.

Way better portrayal of me than in Bat-Damsel-in-distress The Long Halloween. It has me excited for future appearances of me.

I give it 3 Tree Stars. Was worth my money on the rent.

4 Likes

I enjoyed this. I think in years to come Supergirl is going to be a big part of DC, as essentially a more relatable version of Superman, and this was a good story to tell with her.

Love the clean lines on this art style.

3 Likes

Welcome back to the community @tleaves12! I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the movie. Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything. :0_supergirl:

2 Likes

She has been a big part of DC for decades as a less relatable character than Clark.

2 Likes

Sure, DC has done her wrong. But I think there’s a reason Gunn chose Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow as part of the major thrust of the first phase of his DCU, because Tom King showed how to do it right. This Kara wasn’t quite on the level of Woman of Tomorrow but gets the central thrust of the character - someone who went through a trauma similar to Clark but who was old enough to know and remember what she lost - exactly right.

1 Like

IMDB rating is still notably low, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

1 Like

I liked it – I get some of the complaints about the Supergirl presence (maybe it should have been called Supergirl & The Legion of Super-Heroes?), but I felt like most of the Legion present in the story at least got good moments to shine. Never would have thought that Arms-Fall-Off-Boy – excuse me – Arms-Fall-Off-Man would get such a badass moment.

I thought the twist worked well enough, but I will say that between this and the previous Green Lantern movie where Hal Jordan had a pretty definitive heel turn, maybe they should calm down on that kind of trope for at least the next couple of movies.

Also, while she only showed up in the first few minutes, I really enjoyed Femshep herself, Jennifer Hale, as Supergirl’s mom.

2 Likes

Oh, and I found out that the writer of the movie, Josie Campbell, is also a comic writer who recently wrote the New Champion of Shazam series with Doc Shaner on art. She’s also apparently producing the upcoming My Adventures With Superman animated series.

I’m just saying, going from this movie, I don’t think I’d mind if we got her writing the Legion in the comics. :smiley:

3 Likes

I view Kara a bit differently - I see her as MORE alien than Clark (in a good way) specifically because she was older and remembers Krypton. She remembers her whole world dying. This is a very interesting facet of her character that sets her apart from Clark, but I definitely don’t relate to her childhood or trauma more than I relate to his.

2 Likes

The writer of the movie described the difference pretty well, I thought: Superman is an immigrant story, Supergirl is a refugee story.

3 Likes

I think people who make this complaint (and people can like a movie or not like it, that’s fine!) really need to think about the mechanics of making a movie about a team with depending on how you count well upwards of 20 characters. I think the “Yeah, much of the Legion is away on business” explanation was actually a pretty brilliant decision that allowed them to tell a Legion story without having to constantly give a each member of a huge cast of characters a moment in the spotlight that ruins their ability to tell a story with a deeper emotional arc. I think it was a good call.

3 Likes

That is a good description!

I haven’t seen this movie yet, but this discussion has me interested. I liked Josie Campbell on New Champion of Shazam.

2 Likes

IMDB ratings are still notably bad. Hopefully this just means people are waiting to see it in a month or so.

1 Like

It is now available for rent on Vudu if you do not want to pay full price on buying it.

1 Like

I gotta admit, I didn’t love this one. Maybe I’m just not a Legion person. I got annoyed with Kara in the beginning but by the end I was totally charmed by her, so that’s a good thing. That’s not to say the movie is awful. Far from it. There’s still some good stuff in there.

I think the next one in the Tomorrowverse is Justice League: Warworld, so maybe that’s what the post credits scene was.

So far, my favorite movie in the Tomorrowverse has been Justice Society: World War II

2 Likes

Yes, Warworld is next.

2 Likes