Legion of Super-Heroes Club: Weekly Reading April 20th 2019

… and the Visionary DC writers of the early 1960s were well aware that one thousand years in the future whiteboard technology would be way advanced!!!

Heartfelt emotion is shared among friends much more easily in the far-flung utopian future …and don’t even get me started on how far-advanced fashion will be a thousand years from now …in the vision of the sixties!

" in the year 2965…I’m kinda wondering if Mankind will still be alive…"

1 Like

Any other thoughts before we start the new reading tomorrow around noon Eastern?

Here is the image to go to the comment above about emotions and fashion…

Whiteboard technology you say?

To quote SchwarzeFreeze: “Wow!”

1 Like

Hope you guys don’t mind my bumping this back after reading the material.

Speaking of silliness and bleakness, I’m just sass that even though is going by the wayside now, hazing seems to be a big thing in the 30th century…:pensive::joy:

My favourite story from the 300th issue, I would go with the first one with the Luthor robot, mostly for the bit of payoff we get with Mon-El. I read this from a Legion Silver Age trade I got a while back, and I was actually kind of surprised in how much I enjoyed that story in Superboy about Mon-El, where Clark initially thinks Mon is an older brother, and when he doubts it, Clark inadvertently dooms his friend to the Phantom Zone. It had it’s silliness, but it actually had some decent moments of character and pathos.

So seeing him come back, even for a brief moment, was pretty nice. In reading through this, I’m looking forward to seeing Mon-El finally breaking free from the Phantom Zone and joining the team permanently.

I do like that Bouncing Boy story and the character in general, though. I kind of feel like he’s closer to whay I would be as a hero than anyone else in the team.

1 Like

Hey this club uses time travel technology, so it’s never too late to comment Jay_Kay!

I wonder if you have the same TPB I do…it shows three of the legionnaires (Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl) smiling like little angels who would never ever haze anyone on the front cover.

Speaking of special editions for the Legion, while doing some research on what the club will be reading in the coming months, I was very surprised and delighted to see a certain wedding is here in the DC library!

1 Like

Set time bubble for May 2021…

Fun fact: the Legion of Super-Heroes makes its debut 22 months before the Justice League of America.

ADVENTURE #247
The Legion 3 are playing a prank on Superboy right from the very start.

Since the entire tour is in Smallville, I guess the Legion HQ is also located in this small town.

OK the flight rings make everything easier story and art wise, but I still love jetpacks.

Saturn Girl was taught how to use read minds, it’s not an innate power. Cosmic Boy drank “special serums” to get magnetic eyes. Lightning Boy needs to clap his hands together to make his lightning.

That sure does look like Brainiac 5 at the bottom of page 11.

I loved how he used “their powers” to save South Pole City.

ADVENTURE #300
"Face Behind the Lead Mask’ is written by Superman (and Superboy) creator Jerry Siegel. He wrote fifteen out of the first nineteen Legion stories.

I love how everyone else’s powers are “super shrinking” and “super disguise” etc., but Superboy is just plain x-ray vision and invulnerability.

The clubhouse is now in Metropolis and seems to be in a giant park with no other buildings near it. Probably for the best.

As you can see, the hair thing isn’t what makes Luthor mad at Superboy, It’s people thinking Superboy is greater than he is despite his scientific genius.

The powers are going crazy and they’re ruining the clubhouse, but nobody is around. The World Wide Police give them an hour to get their act together.

A guy named Urthlo in purple and green? I’m guessing it’s the first appearance of General Zod.

We’re up to flight belts now.

I’m sure Superboy will find a way to get Mon-El out of the Phantom Zone when he grows up to be Superman. Or at least get Batman to do it. Or the Atom? Air Wave? Anyone?

Hate tapes, a horrible robot powered by twitter, facebook, reddit and etc.

Mon-El makes the team without even needing a tryout.

I also love how the future is a bright happy place that you would like humanity to reach some day. It was certainly a far cry from what I was raised on as a kid in the 1970s.

1 Like

Great point about the Legion being created 22 months before Justice League came out. Isn’t that wonderful @Vroom ?

1 Like

'Tis wonderful, 'tis! That was a great time for great teams to debut in comicdom.

1 Like

The super team that had a three issue trial run debut in Brave & the Bold #25-27 right before the Justice League of America?

2 Likes

Ah, yes. The real “original Suicide Squad”.

As opposed to the '80s series, which some understandably see as the original, but history says otherwise. :slight_smile:

1 Like