Legion of Super-Heroes Club: Weekly Reader for May 1st 2019

Wow, why am I often the last one to know about these little gems?

We could probably spend another 12 months just digging into all these guest appearances special tiny runs where the Legion teams up with others!!!

Referring to this particular team up what a wild concept again will be visiting this I think in the next 12 months or so!!!

1 Like

Holy across the time barrier team-ups Batman!

1 Like

Here we are again with more legion goodness, a very modern version compared to the last round…

1. How do I feel about Earthgov’s demand to take in Earth-man? Earthgov and the Legion have regularly had contentious relationships. This time it is definately the Legion giving in to demands for minimal reward. Earthgov is basically forcing a xenophobe onto the team to destablize the group… given enough time these aliens in our midst will rebel against this lion in their fold and we will be proven right, they are all violent and working against earth. It is kind of the idea behind certain governmental aggency appointments right now (anti environment heads of the EPA, etc.) And knowing this the legion still takes him just so they can keep their HQ on Earth. not totally worth it i would say.

2. is Braniac 5 likable? he is terse and annoyed, but that is how i like him best. sometimes being the smartest guy in the room is exhausting, and yes sometimes he will forget himself and treat others like plebs, but he is still Brainy. I always compare his characterization to that of Namor, in one book heroic, in another a villian. the 90s Namor series explained it as a physically based mental imbalance, I like to think of Brainy the same way…his mood swings are a result of the mental stress he and other place him under. (Tom King could have totally used Brainy to discuss PTSD if he had wanted)

3. The state of the GL Corps? What Corps? With the loss of Vidar and in this story Yat, The Corps is functionally dead. Yes we have the Mogo embryo running around but he bearly understands his own purpose let alone the Corps. The whole save the sentient life thing shows that he is a bit out of touch with the reality around him. And selecting Earth-man based simply on strength… that is not the Corp, that is a red ring slinger or a sinestro.

4. Favorite subplot? I enjoyed Imra’s storyline best… The only truly free in one room (and i love the whole everyone thought it would be Rokk but I choose the bad boy) and her freaking out about the kids so much she abandons her home during a major disaster… a good line for her

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, @ btirey.

Yeah frankly I also saw the connection between this whole EarthGov / EarthMan plotline written in 2010 with what’s going on currently on the political scene in our country. Yet I still find Earthman a very compelling character and one that seems to be changing for the better in the 17 issue series.

Great points concerning the one subplot as well. What a terrible thing to face as a parent and unfortunately you just can’t be very rational when that kind of thing comes up.

What I love about team books like Legion is they have so many characters, it’s hard to get bored when there’s up to five different plots running at the same time in one comic.

Love the idea of a Legion read along. I’ve always loved the Legion. But I HATED that 2010 run. It was the opposite of everything the 30th Century has been and should be. Sorry I’ll pass. But I look forward to a different run.

1 Like

James a sexton that’s fine I would love to hear more of what you didn’t like about it frankly. and maybe tell us what you wish it gad geen. We’ve all been wonderfully reminded of what a positive Utopia the Legion of Superheroes world really is compared to what is being published these days for future worlds.

“wish it had been”

How do you feel about Earthgov’s demand to make the Legion take in Earth-Man?
I can understand that if the headquarters is on Earth, the government would want an earthling represented at the table.

How likable is Brainiac 5 in this storyline? Why?
I have not warmed up to Brainiac 5. IMO He comes across as somehow superior to everyone just because he’s smarter. This is my first exposure to him, so my opinion may change with more reading.

What are your thoughts on the state of the Green Lantern corp in the 31st century?
Sadly, it’s gone. But not really gone. It fell from its previous glorious state, but there’s still the seed of willpower that will likely grow in this series.

Which of the subplots running (Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy, Chameleon Boy) did you find most intriguing? Why?
Saturn Girl. I want to know what time period her kids may have landed in.

Thanks for the reading selection @Don-El! It was nice to read my first Legion comic. =)

1 Like

Thanks for trying out the Legion stories for the first time, JL!

What is intriguing with the Brainiac 5 character to me is how he resembles some famous current day super smart people, yet he goes one step further as someone from Colu, almost to the point of being like a sociopath when it comes to his regard of fellow sentient beings.

1 Like

I like this volume of LOSH alot. The artwork in particular is quite vibrant in many ways.

Questions:

1. “How do you feel about Earthgov’s demand to make the Legion take in Earth Man?”

I’m fine with it. The Legion was in the process of rebuilding, and the last thing they needed was to find a new planet to call home for the team. It’s a compromise that was in the Legion’s best interests to make.

1. “How likeable is Brainiac 5 in this storyline? Why?”

He’s hit and miss, as usual. Sometimes he’s a nice guy and others he’s a jerk. That was the case with Brainy at this point in the series for sure.

I don’t think I’ve read a Legion title where Brainy wasn’t straddling the fence on being a good guy or an arrogant weiner.

1. “What are your thoughts on the state of the GLC in the 31st century?”

Sad. The galaxy needs the Green Lantern Corps, and without it, it just feels empty, hollow and not what it should be.

1. “Which of the running subplots (Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy and Chameleon Boy) did you find most intriguing and why?”

Saturn Girl, easily. I only read this Legion ongoing once, and that was as it came out. So, I’d forgotten that Imra had kids. It was an interesting development and I’m curious to re-discover their fate.

Great choice DE, I’m eager for issues 4-6!

1 Like

You bring up some interesting points, @Vroom! Thanks for joining us this week on the weekly reading (which is replaced by our once a month Wednesday night Watchalong this coming Wednesday May 8th)…

Concerning the art, I really thought it felt like the best of the clean, colorful, energetic but not complex New 52 books, and it turns out that isn’t a coincidence. Yildray Cinar (Istanbul, Turkey!), also illustrated Fury of the Firestorm 1-67, 9-12 and 0 for New 52, as well as Earth 2 for some issues and Supergil 26-31!!! What’s fun for me is he also was the artist on some “indys” I still have, like an issue of Fist of Justice (Digital Webbing), but also Noble Causes for several issues (Jay Faeber, creator / writer).

Concerning returning for the rest of the story here, we should I agree. I am thinking normally we read one comic of a series a month when it is new, and doing a rotation so we return to some of these story lines once a month or so works great!

I’m introducing one more “serial” storyline Wednesday the 15th, then a new moderator will take over for a month. I guess it’s up to that person if we revisit some of these stories in a month…or maybe later (like a bi monthly series, wow, my mind is blown again man!!)

Fury of Firestorm thorugh issue 6. We WISH it had run until 67…oo ooo, I sense another reading club on the horizon…

“Supergil” hhahahha. I’ve changed my mind, Mods, don’t give us Edit capabiliities…

Two more days of reading fun on this one , any more thoughts?

“Supergil” is what Gil from The Simpsons wishes he was :wink:

1 Like

In the final hours before we close the book on this weekly reader selection, I’ll share some thoughts on the issues:

Legion of Super-Heroes (2010 6th Series):

First, I gotta say, this main cover just blows me away! The power you feel as you see those two rings on one clenched hand, now that’s DRAMA!!!

The other first thought I have as I re read this series is, they all still go by “>>>>>Boy” or “>>>>Girl”…but they are married, have kids, so how old are they now…thinking early to middle '20s…but then the next thought is, “what is the average life expectancy of beings in the 31st century?” I mean, it’s assumed that life expectancy even in the next 30 years will go up several notches, so how about 1,000 years from now?

Next elephant in the room for issue 1: Flashpoint? They are all talking about looking back in time at Flashpoint and that comic didn’t come out for year!!!Whaaaa???

Overall then, the artwork as we have been discussing above is very very adequate and enjoyable even. Issue 1 has great pacing, the plot moves nicely along, but not too fast, and even though there are multitudes of heroes, enough for three or four other books, it isn’t confusing!

1 Like

In the final hours before we close the book on this weekly reader selection, I’ll share some thoughts on the issues:

Legion of Super-Heroes (2010 6th Series):

First, I gotta say, this main cover just blows me away! The power you feel as you see those two rings on one clenched hand, now that’s DRAMA!!!

The other first thought I have as I re read this series is, they all still go by “>>>>>Boy” or “>>>>Girl”…but they are married, have kids, so how old are they now…thinking early to middle '20s…but then the next thought is, “what is the average life expectancy of beings in the 31st century?” I mean, it’s assumed that life expectancy even in the next 30 years will go up several notches, so how about 1,000 years from now?

Next elephant in the room for issue 1: Flashpoint? They are all talking about looking back in time at Flashpoint and that comic didn’t come out for year!!!Whaaaa???

Overall then, the artwork as we have been discussing above is very very adequate and enjoyable even. Issue 1 has great pacing, the plot moves nicely along, but not too fast, and even though there are multitudes of heroes, enough for three or four other books, it isn’t confusing!

Legion of Super-Heroes (2010 6th Series): Issue #2

What’s going on with Brianiac? It’s almost like someone else is pretending to be him. The villainous Saturn Woman knows now, but she isn’t revealing anything.

I really like the use of the inner thought asides in this issue. I don’t see that in a lot of recent comics. It really help the reader to stop and think about individual motivations, how even though a hero looks all righteous as they selflessly assist others, the motives and drives in the background show the moral grey areas they consider.

Nice to see Lightning Lad and Lightning Lass in this iteration of the Legion (although her outfit was absolutely silly for use outside of being on a beach IMO)!

Also, great scene where Phantom Girl stops Ultra Boy who was under Saturn Woman’s mind control.

Again, the various subplots are moving along nicely, and they have a way of “touching” the other subplots.

@Don-El The mentions of Flashpoint caught my eye too!

That was a neat easter egg that, at the time the issues came out, we didn’t even know was an easter egg.

The Legion truly is a gift that keeps on giving.