[Legion Fan Club] Weekly Reader Week 41 New 52 THE END January 29, 2020

All this brings to mind the newest iteration / vision of the Legion by Bendis, and which of these things is he mixing back in…
and THAT reminds me of some observations by @Awesome_Squid over on our “sister” Discord channel concerning Legion of Super-Heroes Millennium with O.M.A,C. , Batman Beyond and Kamandi etc…I need to go grab those out of my Comixology Archive locker and review, along with the first three issues of Bendis’ Legion…will he too get lost in all this continuity madness / alternate universes soup???

I’m thinking the story indicated Legion had fought the Fatal Five before, but this is considered a “new” Fatal Five:

It’s also interesting to me (if ultimately meaningless now for future storylines) that the whole Earth-Man storyline took place in this New 52 continuity of the Legion.

1 Like

Considering how weird editorial could be at the time, I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked him to do the Fatal Five again for the first time, and Levitz said, “Yeah, I can do that, here’s this new villain group the Fatal Five,” and just did the old group and no one noticed.

LOL.

Something has dogged me since the late 80s like some flaming skulled motorcyclist - and that’s Keith Giffen when he gets in his “burn it all down” mood.

He does it with the Legion in the late 80s / early 90s “Five Years Later” meltdown that we’ll be reading, oh in a year or so maybe; he did it a few years later over at Valiant with the “Magnus Robot Fighter” final issues, and wow, did he ever put on the arsonist’s anarchist’s hat for this final run of Legion!

“Consulting Destructionist”…he may have that on his LinkedIn page, lol.

Some parting screen shots from the final edge of Legion tales in our current DCU digital library: (well, except for the Justice League United and Convergence we’ll visit soon)

This reminds me of something many DCU members have no remembrance of: the electrical grid going down twice around 2004 for days at a time. We too are very dependent upon our technology, and the “grid” is far more vunerable than we like to contemplate.

I assume Mr. Giffen has this one over his mantle at home…

But there is this bittersweet ending scene:

2 Likes

Ha!

I lived in Buffalo at the time. It completely skipped our area despite starting relatively close to Western New York. I think it was our proximity to the Niagara Falls Power Plant that kept our grid fine.

As a teacher, seeing so many schools close due to having no power, and yet ours stay open was rough. Teachers love snow days more than students… its a fact. I think it was August though, so they may have had teachers come in since it was likely before students started anyways.

1 Like