[Legion Fan Club] Reader Y2 M7 30 Years of Legion Goodness all in one modest November selection, a true value!

[Legion Fan Club] and interested parties everywhere, in this most interesting of Novembers, we will continue to sample the new LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 2019 along with a new exploration for our club of perhaps the darkest and grim of the Legion versions, and a slice of this and that, dontcha know?

Behold LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (2019-) #1 / LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1989-) #1-2 / The Legion (2001-) #1-2 / JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED (2014-) #6

Slice 1 : LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (2019-) #1 Click Here for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (2019-) #1 Why have the Legion of Super-Heroes broken the cardinal rule of the United Planets and inducted Jon Kent, a.k.a. Superboy, into the Legion? What are they hiding? And what does it have to do with Aquaman’s long-lost trident?
~

~

Slice 2 : LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1989-) #1 Click here for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1989-) #1 Five years after the Magic Wars, the Legion of Super-Heroes is no more—the members have gone their separate ways after the devastating battle. But on Durla, Reep Daggle decides that it’s time to bring the team together once more, starting with Legion founder Cosmic Boy!

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1989-) #2 Click here for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1989-) #2 Back in the good old days he was Ultra Boy, one of the most powerful of the Legionnaires and also one of the most loyal. Now he’s simply Jo Nah , and the Khunds have put a contract on his head!
~

Slice 3 : The Legion (2001-) #1 Click here for The Legion (2001-) #1 A new era dawns for the 31st Century’s greatest heroes! The once-lost members of the Legion of Super-Heroes have returned! But the world has changed in their absence into something that they no longer recognize

The Legion (2001-) #2 Click here for The Legion (2001-) #2 The triumphant return of the Lost Legionnaires to 31st-century Earth may be extremely short-lived…especially if the Oversight Watch–under the orders of United Planets President Leland McCauley–has any say in the matter!
~

Slice 4: JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED (2014-) #6 Click here for JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED (2014-) #6 The Infinitus Saga continues as a displaced Legion of Super-Heroes tries to prevent the destruction of the 31st century by killing Ultra the Multi-Alien!

(The Club already read JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED ANNUAL (2014-) #1 several months ago, but if you haven’t checked that out, be sure to before you read issue #6) (also, you may enjoy gobbling down the first 5 issues of Justice League United as well, it’s goooood stuff!)

Questions to consider:

1. The years: 2019 / 2001 / 1989 Which of these three versions of the Legion featured in this month’s selection is your favorite? Which is your least favorite? Why to both answers if you like!

2. What is Bendis using from the other two eras we read this time around in the lastest Legion version?

3. As always, please post your favorite panels / covers or quotes from these three slices of Legion!

Next month, we continue our “Quadruple Decker” Dagwood Sandwich approach to Legion reads, straddling 30 years + 1 merrily merrily merrily!!!

3 Likes

“Do I have lots of time to read this treasure trove of Legion action and adventure?”

“Yes. Yes you do!”

1 Like

Yes! Something to jump into and breakup my binge reading of other comics!

I’m real interested to see the different visions of the future across three decades.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard this month’s Legion train!

1 Like
  1. I am going 1989 as my fave at this point in time, I enjoyed the premise of 5 years later and rebirth but not a reboot. 2001 was my least favorite, but I still liked it. Although both start with the premises of disbanded legions being reborn, they do take different approaches, so far.
  2. To early too tell, but chaotic non paradise futures at this point, seem to be the common thread. Although different a Brandee’s is involved in the beginning.
  3. Maybe later.
3 Likes

I’ve always been entertained and a fan of Keith Giffen’s artwork, so the 1989 version is a good read from that angle.

3 Likes

I have also (probably foolishly) been purchasing the latest issue of Legion of Super-Heroes digitally the past year (along with Metal Men). Issue 11 just came out and I can’t even begin to imagine how Bendis will conclude everything by issue 12, There’s a lot of super crazy going on!

2 Likes

I put Legion of Super-heroes on my pull list. It’s about the only DC title on my pull list, although I have been enjoying picking up a few DC mini-series here and there.

I guess I still enjoy reading physical comic books on occasion, even though I’m reading way more here than I do elsewhere. But I also like supporting my LCS, they donatedcomic books to my school regularly.

I’ve only gotten through the first two ‘slices’ of Legion so far, but I love how different and reflective of the eras they are. You can read the 1989 comic and even if ityou had nothing else to gon but the art and story, you could guess the Era it was from.

2 Likes

@Meisaj I actually posted a picture yesterday on the Archive discussion thread in Watchtower of my 40 year old son surprising me by picking me up a rare copy of Metal Men DC Archives v1 that I had located that day at a local comic shop that I’ve been an occasional customer of for 27 years or so, I hear you (being 66, I had phoned the shop looking for hardcover archive Black Friday deals, there were none, but my son was by coincidence in the area).

2 Likes

Some thoughts and reactions to The Legion (2001-) # 1 and 2:

This came out after Legion Lost (2000-) and then the six issue Legion Worlds (2001-), and is very connected to them. All three series are by the renowned sci-fi writing team Abnett and Lanning. I feel like they keep the things moving along nicely with lots of interesting plot twists.

The artwork by Olivier Coipel can be pretty good and detailed, but there are times I feel like they’re presenting Legion like they’re only 3/4 sized people.

Nice to see Ultra Boy’s various powers featured in this particular to comic book story.

Nice final panel that will lead then to “Legion World.”

1 Like

Bummer, yooooah

Bleeding Cool News: Legion Of Super-Heroes #12 Delayed Into The Future - Until 2021.

1 Like

My birthday month!!! 2 days away!! Hers a panel that made me laugh.

2 Likes

Say we should post our favorite villains on the panel a day thread!!

2 Likes

Oohhh…. I like that idea.

My go to but has to be #1 for me?

2 Likes

@jihaehae and then here’s the next reading …we’ll leave it at that for now. We’d all love to hear your comments on these!

2 Likes