[Legion Fan Club] Reader Y2 M11 Mordru Magically Shows Up Just About Everywhere!

Bingo!!! That’s it. Ty, on to Ditko, you never know? I didn’t like Dixon’s art at 1st & now I love it. It’s all in the eye of the beholder tho. Really, who can say that a certain artist isn’t good or weird to the person reading & loving it?

1 Like

I love Ditko on 60’s early Spider-man, those first 45 issues or so are soaring heights of creativity IMO. Same for his Creeper and original Hawk and Dove warring brothers. Oh, and the Captain Atom found here from the Charlton 60’s.

1 Like

Wow, amazing sleuthing, @kevin_oyer.50320 !!

Let’s be sure to include this run that @capo-mage recalled for our curated readings starting in April!

2 Likes

Yeah that was a great dig up. It was driving me crazy. I could picture every page & the whole storyline, but that name eluded me big time. Cool on rereading it too. It’s a good one. I love all art in DC lol. Sad, but I’m serious. The Great Darkness Saga has a very weird style that I love. It reminds me a little of Pe’rez’s run on WW. I love that too & most don’t. Great Darkness is clunkier & messier but in a good way for me. I love that storyline. I remember seeing the club was reading it b4 I joined. I had just finished it for the 2nd X ,on this site that is.

3 Likes

Ditko also wrote “Shade the Changing Man” - which = why I think his art is weird, He also did a lot of the early art for Doctor Strange which wasn’t “weird” - but was definitely “strange”! :upside_down_face: … Strange Tales. Most of his work seemed to be a half-step out of reality … but then again, being different has its own rewards!

2 Likes

0 Marvel for me but I can see the comparison. I’m aware enough of Dr. Strange to understand that. My cousins came to visit & asked me to watch the movie. I didn’t have the heart to say no. Especially since it was the 1st x we met. I love Shade the Changing Man & Girl. Man, my mind is just blank today. I believe it was Flashpoint where Rac was “dating” Enchantress & Amy Winston (sad I can only think of her real name, don’t wanna Google Princess of Gemworld etc just can’t think haven’t been to bed since Wednesday) and they were getting jealous of each other. I’ve been dying to reread that section of whatever crossover that is! I believe it’s Flashpoint???

Just a quick notice here but Don-El mentioned Ditko’s Spider-Man run in the 60’s where we was the original and for some time exclusive artist for the web-slinger. Does Doctor Mayavalle remind you of any other Doctor that was a particularly early Spidey Villain?

Oh and … … … Princess Amethyst of Gemworld

2 Likes

Yes,ty. My phones charging across the room & I refused to get up lol. I was trying to jog my memory by naming things about her. Didn’t take…

1 Like

In a very legitimate Legion connection, Princess Amethyst first appeared as a free story inserted into The Legion of Super-Heroes #298 (April 1983)!

2 Likes

New info. Ty. I’m like a sponge, I’ll probably remember that for life now. Help me at trivia.

1 Like

The lively discussion here, the scavenger hunt through history and the private discussions our Legion club is having about all this, XS and Mon-el have been very inspirational!

I’m pretty sure I know some Legion goodies we’re going to be sampling from the past in the next few months.

2 Likes

Yes very lively discussion. I like hearing past when we’re talking LOSH!!!

1 Like

Okay … … … so it was an imaginary tale of sorts. Mordru never completed his conquest, … completely (from LSH # 300)

2 Likes

Well that was a wide range of Legion History, enjoyed them all.
Dream Girl gets a chance to shine in both LSH 268 and is set up to shine in the future in JLU 10.
LSH ANNUAL3 sets up a chance for Frisky to get some well deserved time in the spotlight as well as a deeper relegation ship with another time displaced legionnaire.
Legion 6 shows how dangerous a villain like Ra’s can be, and reminds the legionnaires thT their goal is to help folks, not avenge them.
LOSH 6 basically, is don’t fool with Mother Nature or in this case Mordru.
The smorgasbord of visual delights offered by LSH 7 and 8, though is hard to beat, some many eras and so many recollections and reminders of great Legion tales in the past, that I am reminded of looking at the art and story.

2 Likes

Thanks for those reflections, @RexRebel ! It’s amazing to me as well how entertaining and ingenious each of these Legion eras can still be.

I spend almost nothing on brand new comic books these days, but I broke that rule for the Legion by Bendis. He made himself very familiar with the deep history of the Legion and the artwork and character designs were consistently incredible 2019-2020, IMO.

2 Likes

Yes, I rarely buy new comics, no room to store them, but I did make a point to buy Bendis’s Legion.

3 Likes

Newbie user here - came here to say this, as I just am in the middle of re-reading the post ZH Legion (they’re my favorite).

The other neat thing about this Future Tense storyline is that it also sets up about two years worth of stories in a throwaway panel with a certain artifact that takes a liking to a certain shrinking character we all know and love. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’m thinking we may be visiting this crossover soon, especially since we have completed the JLU storyline this time around!

4 Likes

Oh yes. Great reading & a great character as well.

3 Likes

I particularly liked this story because it got this (then) fledgling Legion back into the business of Time Travel - Which set up a whole string of stories later on about how/when a bunch of Legionnaires would be stuck in the 20th Century, allowing them to meet many of the heroes of DCU and gain Ferro Lad as a member.
It was interesting to see the Emerald Eye Of Ekron sitting around in Scavenger’s collection

All it needed was an Empress.

4 Likes