[Legion Fan Club] Monthly Reader Year 3 Month 4: featuring... Ultra Boy: Space Pirate!?!

Thanks! This is really cool - there is some Legion that I haven’t yet read! I’ll be looking forward to this!

4 Likes

Legion of Super-Heroes (V.4) Annual #6 1/95 Legion of Super-Heroes Annual (1990-1996) #6

Gotta love the air Scooters that the SP’s flew around on back then.

3 Likes

I used to be the proud owner of SP numbers one through four I wonder if it’s on the digital site

2 Likes

The new Future State issue is now posted above!

Please don’t hold back, let us know your thoughts plus and minus!!!

2 Likes

Bought Future State … … … just because … Had to read them both a few times to understand it and figure out Who was Who. The story was Okay for a two-parter, the art was well done, but confusing. Most of the characters were distorted in unusual ways, Chief Example: Rokk Krinn - “He of the Mighty Chin”!!!

I’ll bet Buzz Lightyear is jealous!

4 Likes

I’m promising myself I’ll dare to read it tonight …we’ll see

2 Likes

So here’s my take.

I was actually OK with the story. I think if Bendis has a bounded arena in which he can operate with a team, he can deliver. I really enjoyed the twist as to where this was ultimately going. Within a two-issue story, things seemed to be a bit snappier versus the monthly where eeeeverything seeeeeemed to draaaaaaag. Along with snippy. Little. Comments. Like. This.

That said, the art REALLY turned me off. Honestly, I’d never want to buy this as an ongoing.

And did I even comment on the animated Violet in issue 1 versus the “Sook” Vi in issue 2? Sloppy attention to details.

Ultimate readout - if DC wants to INTENTIONALLY move forward with the Legion, they need to connect it to the past (i.e., reboot/other popular characters - translation == people who can afford $5 monthly comics) but make it relevant to the present.

Honestly, I don’t have that much of a problem with character redesigns. But if they are nothing more than a bare coat of paint with nothing behind it, I’m not interested.

3 Likes

I’m bad, I accidentally read House of El instead last night …on the bright side it did feature Brainiac 4, for a while anyway.

1 Like

Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2.

Okay, all Is forgiven after reading this issue, Mr. Bendis. A nice surprise shocking reveal as to the real evil behind all this. Nice to have Jonathan Kent show up at the end.

Along with the general complain about the artwork being almost illegible at times to figure out who was who, it was also often fairly entertaining. There were some similar styles back in the mid-1990s and the drawing concept is good at expressing the emotion of the character if not the accuracy of what they look like.

One small problem with the eccentric artwork was I was trying to read this panel-by-panel and it often failed and cut off words. Drawing the panels at a dramatic angle looks great if you buy the paper version but not so hot digitally.

It was nice that Mr. Bendis has now introduced the concept of the Substitute Legion.

Yep great to see this final page and let’s hope Bendis really knows what he’s talking about when he says there will be more Legion to come soon (and hope he doesn’t instead decide to ascend to a cloud platform like other artists and writers and just leave it all behind).

2 Likes

Legion of Super-Heroes (V.4) Annual #6 1/95 Legion of Super-Heroes Annual (1990-1996) #6

This annual was very welcomed by me. First of all I was really enjoying the (at the time) new Legion, the Reboot. The new kids were refreshing, with a sense of optimism and hope that had been missing from the Legion since about half-way back into the Baxter Format. Though the new kids had their problems they managed to maintain a sense of hope.

The 5YL crew had allowed the bad guys to destroy the Earth. I mean, you gotta at least save the world from the bad guys to be worth your stuff. I think that began with the writers gradually introducing the Legion to “losing”, post Crisis [losing Supergirl and later, Superboy to Crisis was a blow to the OG fans), on into the Magic Wars, and the Legion being disbanded, losing their vision to stay together as a group.

This book acted as a mini Who’s Who for the newly formed Legion. Such a feature had been a tradition that started in Adventure Comics 316, which hit the stands in late 1963 (Cover date Jan 1964). In fact, that explanation of the powers and origins of the Legion actually Began in the 1961 Superman Annual #4. These were way before any Secret Origin Stories, Who’s Who’s and so on.

Very “Legion” in nature.

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan of the Jon Kent mustache, either. :smiley:

I figured you’d like this mini as the story holds well with the twist as to the villain.

3 Likes

Yes, this is one of my favorite Legion annuals. I really enjoyed the XS story and especially the Kinetix story drawn by Alan Davis.

3 Likes

Sorry, been behind in my reading, but better late than never as they say.
LSH 274, 275
A bit short on the funeral of Jo, even though we as the reader knew he wasn’t, it was nice seeing that Jo’s underlying morales won out over his amnesia, and at the end, he dies again. Very unsatisfying, at the time.
Future State
A bit reminiscent of the 5 year later storyline, not my favorite Legion tale nor was this.destroying the future, although perhaps makes for interesting stories, these issues brief look at it, just seem to fall flat.
Cosmic Boy 1 and 2
A bit exaggeration of the era, but nice seeing Night Girl, kick ass and be the strong one, while Rokk was beginning to lose it.though , I did find it a bit strange that with all the broken time references, Rokk didn’t scream Time Trapper.
LSH Annual
Nice approach to a who’s who, enjoyed the little tales included.
Adventure Comics
Perhaps one of my favorite Lefion stand-alone tales, loved Superboys portrayal and his interaction with the legionnaires. I haven read this in years, and I had forgotten about it, glad to have it back in my queue.

4 Likes

I also liked how Night Girl and Cosmic Boy were portrayed in “present-day” 1980s right after Crisis. We’ve all thought about how much fun it would be to visit the past knowing what’s going to happen and then either cashing in on it or being a big hero… it’s quite another matter to show up in the past and find out it’s been changed and you have no idea what’s going on.

4 Likes

This was my biggest problem with LSH Future State. Bendis tried to do a 5YL when his team hadn’t earned that right. Not even close.

4 Likes

I very much enjoyed the CB story as well! Fun to know that he has earth ancestors!!

4 Likes

Agree 100%.

5 Likes

@JimboFett

Legion of Super-Heroes (V.4) Annual #6 1/95

Does Kinetix eventually get that star?

4 Likes

Eventually. :slight_smile:

EDIT - about a year and a half later, issues wise. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

4 Likes