[Legion Fan Club] Monthly Reader Year 3 Month 4: featuring... Ultra Boy: Space Pirate!?!

[Legion Fan Club] and Legion of Super-Hero Fans everywhere, get ready for this month’s curated selection!

The pile a’ comics this time around: THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #274-5 (1981), Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 Cosmic Boy (1986) #1-2, . Legion of Super-Heroes (V.4) Annual #6 (1995), Adventure Comics (2009) #12 (2010)

Not a Legion Fan Club member yet? Crave a nifty gold ring for your icon? To join and get in on other discussions and our archives, click here: DC Community 5

Legion Clubhouse: Legion Fan Club!

And, Be sure to visit the [Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes for your daily ray of heroic inspiration: [Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes

First storyline: Bronze Age: Ultra Boy: Space Pirate !

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #274 (4/1981) The Legion of Super-Heroes (1980-) #274 Gerry Conway writer, Steve Ditko artist The Legion dedicates a statue to the fallen Ultra Boy…but a mixed-bag surprise awaits them all!!

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #275 (5/1981) The Legion of Super-Heroes (1980-) #275 Legion vs Space Pirates, but where is Ultra Boy now…ahoy, me buckos!!!

Second Storyline: Future State: The second installment of Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes is just out August 31st 2021 on DC Universe infinite!

3rd Legion storyline: Modern Age, post Crisis :

Cosmic Boy #1 (9/86) Cosmic Boy (and Night Girl) are in “the present day 1980’s” on a vacation but suddenly find themselves in the middle of the after-Crisis “Legends” storyline! Cosmic Boy #1

Cosmic Boy #2 (10/86) Cosmic Boy #2

4th storyline Modern Age, Post Zero Hour Legion :

Legion of Super-Heroes (V.4) Annual #6 1/95 Legion of Super-Heroes Annual (1990-1996) #6 One of the first stories from the Kinetix Saga ! Also featuring the origin stories of Leviathan and XS plus plenty of full page character studies suitable for desktop backgrounds etc!

And our fifth storyline for this curated monthly reading:
Modern Age, post Final Crisis :

Adventure Comics (2009) #12 (6/10) Adventure Comics (2009-) #12 A fun story of one of Superboy’s earliest adventures in the far future- that he of course later forgets about thanks to sneaky Saturn Girl!

This far into the Modern Age of Comics we also have the phenomenon called…the Variant Cover:

As always, please post your favorite panels / covers or quotes from these Leg-ion-dary stories!!!

Many of the selections chosen this time around are based on the discussions the Legion Fan Club has been having in the above-mentioned [Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes forum as well as over on our Discord channel.

5 Likes

Pirates, yeaay

4 Likes

Funnily enough, I just got to 274 as part of my read through today just before I read this message. That’s a good sign!!

4 Likes

oooo Eeee oooo

3 Likes

This was a wonderful treatment of the Legion’s Origin with Superboy. That a young Clark Kent frequently visited to train with and hang with other young Super-heroes like himself. Interesting in that he had no career as Superboy in the 20th Century, but that he shared adventures with the Legion and was never allowed to remember them when he went home, to his 20th Century.
Never understood the Alternate Darksied Cover, as the character never appeared.
It was, though, a nice homage to the old Adventure Comics run with the :double" numbering.
A Nice Touch is Saturn Girl Giving Superboy a “Tour”. Just two Orphaned Super-Heroes, hanging out togher

3 Likes

It’ll be interesting to read more of these Adventure issues from 2010 to remember how we lost the Superboy connection on Levitz Legion of that time.

2 Likes

I don’t seem to have them in the collected editions from that time period.

Thank you @Don-El for putting these on this month’s list!!!

3 Likes

I guess those pages would have been in the who’s who updates. I don’t think it’s in that Legion who’s who that I picked up most of about a month ago

2 Likes

Here’s what those updates looked like, you literally would use a 3-ring binder to put them in.

Marvel was doing the same thing around then.

3 Likes

Actually, I was thinking of the Adventure 512 comic, where this image comes from! The Levitz Retroboot collections did not have this issue included, I don’t think.

2 Likes

oooooooh

3 Likes

That was 2010. I’m not sure there’s been any new Omnibus for Legion since then.

3 Likes

They have the collected pre and post New 52 titles, which apparently don’t have EVERYTHING. And the Bendis Legion has its two omnis. I own all of the above in digital.

2 Likes

Yeah funny these Adventure stories aren’t there.

3 Likes

For the Legion Purist, these Adventure Issues really are their own set. They really don’t belong to the Retroboot, or even the New 52 Legion, Those did not share the Superboy connection.

So for Monday, I’m really wondering what this guy’s “Unique Super-Power” was! Unlike Karate Kid’s clear-cut “Super Karate”, Timber Wolf always just seemed more "Enhanced: to me, than “Super”.

3 Likes

The funny thing is that NONE of these versions of the early legion have Shrinking Violet…. I smell a rat… :wink:

3 Likes

Like this one? Salu was a member of the Espionage Squad in that version. I think she was riding the Rat you smelled. Who turns out to be a certain Chameleon Boy!

4 Likes

LOL! Thanks for this Kevin - I’m guessing this is an Adventure book? I don’t think I’ve seen this.

It seems as if there was a ton of Legion in the early 2010s, similar to the mid-90s. It’s a shame that Didio killed the books.

3 Likes

toooo funny of a coincidence

3 Likes

From this book, here’s the splash page that immediately preceded the one I posted up above

5 Likes