[Legion Fan Club] Monthly Reader Y3 M3 "Brainiac is Guilty Over and Over!" "Legion Espionage Team."

[Legion Fan Club] and Legion of Super-Hero Fans everywhere, get ready for this month’s curated selection!

Two themes this time around: “Brainiac is Guilty Over and Over!!!” and “Legion Espionage Team.”

SECRETS OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #3, THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #273, LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1984-) #51, LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL (1985-) #4, LEGIONNAIRES #28 AND
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (2019-) #12.

Not a Legion Fan Club member yet? Crave a nifty gold ring for your icon? To join and get in on other discussions and our archives, click here: DC Community 5

Legion Clubhouse: Legion Fan Club!

First, witness the Bronze Age Legion circa late 1980- early 1981!

SECRETS OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #3 (3/1981) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE “REVELATION!” Will the Legion’s last secret spell their doom? Can YOU keep a secret? And what is Superboy up to here, trying to cause time tremors???

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #273 (3/1981) DC UNIVERSE INFINITE Brainiac seems to get this “guilty” arrest him thing a lot- maybe he needs a new agent. W hen President Allon threatens to force the Legion to disband because Brainiac 5 was guilty of the murder of An Ryd, four Legionnaires travel to Rimbor to discover the true murderer.

And then…enjoy our Legion Espionage Squad Sampler!

A two-parter from 1985:

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1984-) #51 DC UNIVERSE INFINITE Phantom Girl organizes the Espionage Squad to fight against Starfinger. Oh, and looks like Brainiac did it again.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL (1985-) #4 (1988)(DC UNIVERSE INFINITE The Legion calls on their Espionage Squad to undertake its most dangerous mission ever - getting inside Starfinger’s domain to save their captive teammates, Chameleon Boy and Colossal Boy. BTW, the Legion Fan Club loves these Annuals, they’re an extra helping of Legion goodness!

And…Seven Years later in the Modern Age of Comics:

LEGIONNAIRES #28 DC UNIVERSE INFINITE The Espionage Squad’s first mission (after Reboot) is to pose as Durlan delegates to confuse White Triangle terrorists!

And, the final issue (for now) of Bendis’ recent Legion run!

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (2019-) #12 DC UNIVERSE INFINITE The battle for New Krypton is on! This powerhouse issue features the Legion confronting the greatest challenge of any era!

As always, please post your favorite panels / covers or quotes from these 4 eras of Legion!

3 Likes

Decisions decisions…

2 Likes

Secrets of the LSH, well it answered that debate we were having about honorary members awhile back, and I had forgotten that Dreamy was a Sub once upon a time.
LSH 273 and 51, two different trials of Brainiac, the first the standard frame job, and the second an interesting look at how different members interpret the Legions constitution in determining if a killing had occurred
LSH Annual 4 an enjoyable tale and nice seeing the espionage squad quest some love. Poor Dreamy, being taking advantage of again.
Legionnaires 28
More espionage squad love, looks like some Daxamites are getting ready to rumble.
Well Bendis’s last issue, what can I say.
1.I loved seeing the Legion again in comics.
2. What the %&^$ was with the Mon’El storyline, multiple kids at 16, Superman’s grandson.
3. No new villain for the new legion, retreaded Rogar.
4. Overall, it seemed like a story that should have been told in 3 or 4 issues, just to rushed, too much going on, too many retreads from his run on Superman.
I know it sounds like a bit of negativity, but I expect my Legion to be better, still glad it was published and i enjoyed reading it.

2 Likes

It actually turns out our three month visit to Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes from the dim past of the early '80s by Paul Kupperberg was worth the time! Many “facts” that were methodicallly presented in this 3 issue special have faded in and out of comic book reality with the various reboots three boots etc over the decades, but Chameleon Boy being the son of Brandt usually sticks.

I do think DC wasted a perfectly-good potential dramatic point when Reep D. finds all this out. I’ve got two now adult kids and trust me it takes a lot less than a revelation like that to have a kid develop a grudge with a parent that can last decades!

Yup, we all get along fine now, but that DEFINITELY would not have been the final scene for my kids lol.

3 Likes

This reading now includes the final Bendis Legion 2019-2020 issue, see above!

3 Likes

So a question, these issues reminded me of; I’ve been wondering about. Did Brainiac 5 become more Spock like after the debut of Star Trek, or did Spock take after Brainiac?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure he became more logical after Spock, as Spock became the pop culture template for a “computer mind” type of character.

3 Likes

Interesting question, I think it’s worth Googling!

4 Likes

I’d have to go back to the stories before Star Trek to see how Brainiac behaved, as afterwards the comparison would be contaminated because StarTrek influenced many of the writers and artists that came after it in Legion.

4 Likes

4 Likes

That is such a great read. And illustrated by Jeff and Phil Moy to boot!!

4 Likes

Sunday

Their light briefly and somewhat confusingly shined.

4 Likes

It sher werz purtty

3 Likes

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (2019-) #12

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/legion-of-super-heroes-2019-12/dadfb47c-f246-428a-a88c-affc1e58d68a/

I did find this final issue of the 2019-2020 12-issue run to be fairly satisfactory on several levels.

The art was very dynamic and entertaining. For some reason the coloring is well really pops. The new upcoming November 2021 Batman and Robin series by the team that does Descender looks to have a similar striking look with art and color, in my opinion.

The plot conclusions came together very nicely but also continue the Intrigue of several of the Legion characters like the Gold Lantern.

There are lots of things about Legion that Bendis got right. That’s what makes the Future State 2-issue series such a confusing thing to deal with.

How does a nice guy like this that turns rocks into a beautiful bouquet turn into an evil character of the brings the Galaxy to its knees?

3 Likes