[Legion Fan Club] Legion of Super-Heroes Academy Training Week 3 (11th Month of Year 3 of Legion Club Fun) March 7 2022

[Legion Fan Club]
Legion of Super-Heroes Academy Training
Week 3

Are you ready to continue to learn how to be a hero? Welcome to Week 3 of your intense Legion of Super-Heroes Academy semester studies! Complete this week’s training, then be sure to stop by next week for the next session at Legion of Super-Heroes Academy!

Bronze Age :

TALES OF THE LEGION (1984-) #323 (May 1985)

Conclusion of the Dawnstar Adventure! Training questions!

• What happened in the 23rd century?
  • Who is Dev-Em?
  • How would you describe Dawnstar as a person in this storyline, positive and negative traits??
I have completed Week 3 of Legion Academy Hero Training
  • Yes I read the assignment, sir!
  • No I did not read the assignment, sir!

0 voters

Not a Legion Fan Club member yet? Crave a nifty gold ring for your icon? To join and get in on other discussions and our archives, click here: DC Community 5

Legion Clubhouse: Legion Fan Club!

Be sure to visit the [Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes for your daily ray of heroic inspiration: [Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes

Long Live the Legion!

Long Live the Legion!

Long Live the Legion!

2 Likes

Yes, sir, a great read this time around! I’ll hopefully answer the questions later next week!

2 Likes

I am wondering what happened in the 23rd century after this story!
Dev-em is a Kryptonian who is apparently working for the Science Police.
I can understand Dawnstar’s wanting to be with someone who has an actual physical body. I think she was little quick to fall for Jhodan.

2 Likes

Something about a Great War. It would be cool if they’re talking about the one with the Atomic Knights, and after that the world of Kamandi with talking tigers!

3 Likes

It was the Terran War apparently, which led to arks fleeing earth or related planets.
Dev-‘em originally was a Kryptonian brat in Superboy, don’t recall how he ended up in the future.
Dawny appeared as loyal to Brainiac and her new friends, but a bit overwhelmed by emotions such as anger and perhaps love. Her hurting Wildfire at the end shows she has yet to resolve this.

3 Likes

Sounds hauntingly familiar these days

3 Likes

I was away from the internet this week and I haven’t reread the issue, but here are my answers

1. I agree that it was a war. I think it may have been World War V but I think it made people leave earth. (Was this the war that caused the wasteland future in Hex?)
  2. Dev-Em was a Kryptonian juvenile delinquent. He first showed up in the present and then I think put himself in stasis until the future where he reformed and became an ally to the Legion.
  3. I feel that Dawnstar was portrayed out of character for this story and the good and bad traits don’t really apply to her. If the reworked Star Trek episode rumor is true, that would explain the inconsistancies.
4 Likes

Ahh this was a funny issue to me for several reasons, but first the questions–

1. As far as I’ve read, they never get back to this before Reboot, so I’m guessing whatever happened in the 23rd century is something we’re supposed to find out from other titles? I see that some of y’all have some vague answers about a war, but if anyone knows any more specific lore, I’d be curious!
  2. This was my first time reading anything with Dev-Em, and I gotta say I find him a little annoying haha He’s endearing in his own way and good at what he does, but also kind of a windbag sometimes xD I liked the idea of him dating Gigi that came up later but that never came to pass as far as I know lol. As far as I know he’s a Kryptonian from Superman’s time, I think it was a stasis that let him survive to the 30th century? Could be wrong, though!
  3. I think this was a big story for Dawnstar’s character development going forward. I don’t think she was necessarily out-of-character, just that we saw different sides of her than we’d ever seen before. I def agree with everyone that she fell for Jhodan a little too fast, (I love that panel where Brainy is just like “Jhodan…? Stay…?” like, ‘dude what do you mean, we’ve been here o n e d a y!’) but I think it’s helpful to remember that Dawnstar is one of the youngest Legionnaires at this time, only 18— and, I say as someone only a handful of years older, she is very much written like her age in this storyline. She’s passionate, and it’s a double-edged sword. I think she is trying to figure out what she wants in life, and she makes decisions based largely on what feels “right,” so she’s struggling when her heart is pulling her in two different directions. She’s definitely got a more accepting streak for cultural relativism than judgmental Brainy in this issue; I didn’t really like the way Brainy was written and I felt he was actually a bit out-of-character for the total disrespect he had for another culture. In past and later issues, there is definitely more of a feeling that religion and magic are accepted as “logics” of their own even if the “scientific” societies don’t really understand them, so his harsh critique of Jhodan’s society seemed off to me. If @idle453.87595 is right about the Star Trek rewrite, then for me Brainy was the one who bore the brunt of the awkward transition. (Especially since he’s criticizing a literal priest for praying instead of searching for a cure; like what do you want him to do, get a degree in virology on the spot? He’s not educated enough to find a cure anyway, and you don’t know for certain that this planet doesn’t have scientists who are working on it. Brainy really came off judgmental in this issue, and while you can read it that he is upset about innocent lives being lost, he does take out his anger about the over-religiosity on individuals who don’t really have a say in the matter in the first place.) Anyway, back to Dawny, in the end I think this was a valuable experience for Dawnstar since she is so young and inexperienced-- by the end of the character arc this begins, she is able to reach a much more informed and mature conclusion on her feelings for Wildfire. We also see her personalize the no-killing code, too; where before it was just a rule she followed for its own sake, we see her make a conscious decision about saving a guy who tried to kill her. She says that she learned what it is to hate on that world, and she also learns how to not let that hate consume her and how to be a hero in spite of her hatred-- while I’m not a huge fan of the concept for this mini-arc I can appreciate the effect it had on Dawnstar’s character development. On another note, I love how Dawny and Brainy embraced in the beginning of the issue— they’re two of the last affectionate characters and probably some of the harshest in terms of criticizing and/or insulting their teammates, so it was sweet to see how much they truly care for each other underneath their questionable attitudes haha. And if I’m not mistaken, this was the first time either of them referred to the other by their nicknames-- “Brainy” and “Dawny” instead of “Brainiac 5” and “Dawnstar”? I could be wrong on that, but as far as I know, that is the case.

Aside from the questions, another thing I found really hilarious about this issue is that at the end, Wildfire seems to be demanding entry into the bathroom?? Like it must be proof that he’s forgotten what it’s like to use the bathroom and/or want privacy in the bathroom, because it’s such a weird thing to do to bang on the door of an occupied bathroom and yell, “Let me in!” lol.
Also, does anyone know if this storyline ever gets picked up again? As far as I know it is never continued, but despite the rampant cliches I’d be curious to see how it ends :"")

2 Likes

Well sadly tales of the Legion was canceled after about another two or three issues and that storyline was kind of put into the background severely.

It might be fun to check the other Legion comic that was being published at the same time to see if it has anything but I kind of doubt it. I just see one panel of Dawnstar thinking longingly of her long lost love.

Here’s the issues and you can kind of see what might have caused Tales of the Legion to stop being published…or not:

3 Likes