[Legion Fan Club] July 2022 JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1

[Legion Fan Club] July 2022 4th Month of ongoing [Legion Fan Club] Year 4

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1

Welcome to a very special session of the [Legion Fan Club] as we celebrate a wonderful and rare event: the first issue of the 2022 Justice League vs the Legion of Super-Heroes just appeared in the DC Universe Infinite Library (as part of the digital subscription service), and, icing on the cake, it’s the very same day that current issue #4 of this series went on sale to purchase “new” worldwide!

Whether you read this when it came out in January new, or are going to read it for the first time this month as part of your DC Universe Infinite membership, please join in the discussion below.

• What do you think of the concept that is bringing both groups together?

• Is Gold Lantern a hero or villain…or something else?

• Do you like the Legion being older teens or do you prefer them a bit older in storylines?

• Does the artwork by Scott Godlewski work for you? Why or why not?

• Do you have any favorite scenes / panels from this issue? If so, post them below please!

Not a Legion Fan Club member yet? Our club has been around now on DC Community for over 3 years! Crave a nifty gold ring for your icon? To join and get in on other discussions, our private Discord channel and our archives, click here: Legion Fan Club!

Be sure to visit the [Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes for your daily ray of heroic inspiration: [Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes

Long Live the Legion
Long Live the Legion
Long Live the Legion

3 Likes

Not favorites. Just only ones I had from recently deleted. Used em for just gorgeous thread.

3 Likes

I like his style of faces.

3 Likes

Let me say that I feel any legion material is worth reading and I am actually enjoying this.

However, the concept that is bringing them together seems a bit too maguffinesque for me. it seems like the darkness is just there to affect time. (Also, calling it the great darkness seems to both be playing up the name and to close to the bad guy of Dark Crisis which does not seem to be related to this series.

I think Gold Lantern is a hero who may be causing the disaster.

I like the legion characters to bee old teenagers/young adults but mainly because when they are written as young teens, they become annoying and “current” with regard to language etc.

The artwork works for me but it’s not my favorite. I can recognize everyone which is my main concern, but sometimes the characters seem too angular.

No favorite scenes, but none I hated either.

4 Likes

I’m with ya’. Pointy & sharp features. Skinny jaw lines…

3 Likes

A little off topic, but they’re not as “sharp” as Sienkiewicz’ New Mutants. That almost lost me and I would swear Sam’s hair could cut paper. I did grow to appreciate his art though.

4 Likes

:joy: cut paper :page_facing_up: I like it…!!!

2 Likes

I’m beginning to wonder if Computo might be the villain in the background…

3 Likes

I had that feeling (computo) & Universo was my other early suspect?

3 Likes

I need to go look up how many issues this is.

Also for some reason I thought Legion was going to have another series just for themselves after this, but I may have misunderstood.

3 Likes

I think that’s correct? I was under the same impression at least? I never Google things lol. Just a habit of liking to educate myself sans computers.

3 Likes

Is this real or Memorex???

2 Likes

Ooooooookayyyyyy ummmmmmm

• I’m not caught up on Rebirth Legion or Justice League at all, but as a general Legion fan I think it’s a cool concept. I’m just kinda annoyed that they’re calling this the “great darkness.” If it’s not Darkseid then I think the phrase is way too loaded to just throw around like that, like if it’s not Darkseid then I would hate to try to explain to a new Legion fan, ‘hey so the Great Darkness was Darkseid that one time, and now it’s this other thing but they just called it the e x a c t same thing.’ Not to say that DC isn’t guilty of doing stuff like that in general (‘infinite,’ ‘night,’ ‘final,’ ‘crisis,’ etc. etc.), but it seems like a new level when they’re calling someone else the Great Darkness (assuming it’s someone else because it would be too predictable if it actually was Darkseid bc they’re calling it Great Darkness sigh). They’re also inviting comparison to the original Great Darkness, and considering what a well-loved story it was/is it’s probably not a good idea to invite people to compare??
  • My first time seeing Gold Lantern, so my only opinion on him so far is that he should be called Exposition Lantern lol
  • I don’t mind the age of the Legion as long as they don’t try so darn hard to appeal to teenagers. Because as a young adult I find it v e r y cringey when older adults try to mimic the way we talk, and even if they hit it on the mark it’s usually outdated within a few years…lol That, and when they’re trying to attract young people, the writers seem to think that every character suddenly needs to become Obvious Lad.
  • I like the art! Especially the spacious chins LOL The poses are really dynamic and I like the spirit behind a lot of the Rebirth Legion designs, plus I like the visuals of the “darkness,” whatever that’s gonna end up being :stuck_out_tongue: The panel work is pretty cool too! For me the main craft issue is the dialogue-- I can taste the tears of Bendis’ letterer, this issue was a prime example of why I don’t like Bendis’ dialogue style in general…There is just waaaay too much crammed into one page. That two-page spread of the League and Legion talking to each other was sinful tbh, there is way too much dialogue that isn’t spread out spatially, which creates this horrible ping-pong reading experience where there is not enough natural pause between people talking (which is normally created by spatial distance/panel divisions, can you tell I’ve read Scott McCloud? lol), so readers have to do the extra work of inserting pauses where we think they would go. The letterer could also do the extra work of making the less important text smaller or lighter-- like that part where Flash says “Fascinating” and Batman says “Having aged decades in a split second” it seems like they’re supposed to be saying those lines at the same time, but Flash isn’t even paying attention to the conversation so his text could have been de-emphasized for a more seamless reading experience-- like I shouldn’t have had to think that through as a reader but I did. :confused: The editor needs to get on Bendis…
  • I got a kick out of this panel, esp. with Brin upside down in the corner haha

I appreciate the understanding that there isn’t really an “up” or “down” when they’re in space :smiley: Gotta say though, this is another panel with too much dialogue. The dialogue lasts way too long compared to the image-- the picture can only be one snapshot in time, but they’re having a whole conversation; if who the characters are looking at (usually the speaker) should change that many times, you probably need a new panel; as it is it looks like everyone is ignoring poor Blok. Oh well, maybe it was Bendis trying to be meta by putting a mismatch in time within the panel!
3 Likes

I think it’s Maxwell cus here’s me…

2 Likes

Ooo, it’d be cool if it was Computo! I love Computo stories :open_mouth: From what I’d read so far of Rebirth Legion though it seemed like Brainy wasn’t very important, though, so they’d probably change Computo’s backstory if it was Computo? Though if Reboot Computo is still intact, he (? they? it?) might try to do something like what the Darkness is doing…

3 Likes

Seems to be a different colored Crisis so far.
• Is Gold Lantern a hero or villain…or something else?
Too early to tell, definitely his bosses have a hidden agenda.
• Do you like the Legion being older teens or do you prefer them a bit older in storylines?
I normally prefer the older teens , young adult legion as in

You definitely need a crisis too span a 1000 years to legitimately bring them together, but it is a bit early to say.
• Does the artwork by Scott Godlewski work for you? Why or why not?
It has an edge to it by being slightly off kilter which appeals to me.
• Do you have any favorite scenes / panels from this issue? If so, post them below please!

As has been said early Long Live the Legion.

3 Likes

Now I got to go look up Legion 38 to review it again!

3 Likes

:smiley:

2 Likes

Well here’s hoping that what happens in that issue you showed the cover for gets undone now with this new crisis.

3 Likes

That would be nice, but its continuity hasn’t existed in awhile.

3 Likes