[Legion Fan Club] 6/7/23 Reading: THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (1980-) #284-286, just before the Great Darkness Saga!

I have a complete set of the ICG DC indices. I have always loved info comics (handbooks, indices, history of, sagas. Issue five of the Legion index I actually bought twice. The first one had the first half of the issue and repeated it. I checked before I bought the replacement.

5 Likes

20 favorite Legion covers? I might be able to do this, but there will be a few duplicates from above

too ordinary? how? and the legend begins

I need a Neal Adams cover

(the five part cover for issues #2-6 are worth a mention as well

the debut a Legion fave

he’s back, now I can start reading Legion again

it just had to be there right

this might be the Legion’s best single issue

look out!

#38 already made it, so I’ll add #37

not a fan of this series, but I love this cover

we’re back baby!

I flipped a coin between this and the other Treasury edition

yes I like the group shots, it is called Legion after all

has to be here, no apologies

I have to second this one too

there’s a new kid in town

*9 got a mention, so I’ll go with #3

and I’m going to have to give Sook the double

torn between two teams!

and finally, the comic that got me into this team

7 Likes

Nice choices and I notice you have quite an eye for the use of color on these covers.

I own that Adventure animal-themed comic and I may never part with it.

4 Likes

Loved all the covers, but I didn’t see another one of my favs:

6 Likes

This is an excellent point and something I thought about while I was trying to decide exactly how I felt about the newly released Last Days of Lex Luthor prestige format mini.

Superboy’s adventures with the Legion should have been the totality of Clark’s adventures as a superhero as a teenager. While some of the stories that were written about Smallville were great tales, it complicated the canon when the writers and editorial team decided to do things like have him meet Lex as a teen, and face others of his adult history at the Daily Planet or from Metropolis, but in Smallville.

Having Lana act as, essentially, a slightly different, mostly younger version of the needy, insecure versus competent career-woman version of the Lois in the 1950s Superman’s Girlfriend, Lois Lane, was both a disservice to one of Clark Kent’s first and oldest friends but also, again, unnecessarily complicated but also, IMHO, on various levels ruined these characterizations and stories - which leads to the superdi*** take we get from casuals.

I am reminded of two takes by Johns, who I largely find more annoying than not, because he’s never not technically proficient in his story-telling, just making bad decisions for the wrong reasons in much of what he has written in the past decade. However, he’s talented enough to recognize the importance of the Legion to teenage Clark: they were his friends, the ones he could truly be himself with but also simply enjoy being with as fellow teenagers:

And, as a full-fledged adult, with a loving wife with whom Clark was also able to be very much every aspect of Clark Kent or Superman, and - as well, now as a grown-up with a collection of fully grown friends who were also his ‘co-workers’ in fighting crime, defending those in peril or in need, or simply in making their existence safer, better, and more hopeful, but more so, they were adults that Clark Kent and Superman could be fully open with about all parts of his life.

That said, having the Legion as an adult was also a way to reconnect with his full self.

3 Likes