leave the comics series on longer!

With so much to read, it’s unfair you take the comics off so soon
You could leave them on a little longer. For the fans? That IS what this is for. Right?

4 Likes

I think they are working on it. But I agree

1 Like

The entire comics section is a disaster. I’ve cancelled my subscription until they can get their act together.

1 Like

I sincerely don’t get why some people joined this only for the comics. They said from the beginning it was going to be a rotating selection. Did people really think that for $8 a month or $75 a year, they’d just give you access to EVERYTHING? That doesn’t make any sense. I’ve spent $75 on nine comics at a time during Comixology sales. The notion that I’d get an entire library for an indefinite amount of time for that much is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Yes. Rightly or not, people thought the comic section would be like Marvel’s offering. It’s not even close, but that’s not the complaint here. The OP doesnt appreciate it when the comics he/she is reading vanish. Just because DC said it would rotate doesn’t make the practice suck any less.

1 Like

@Truth_of_Pisces , some of us indeed did join mainly because of the hope of digital DC comics, and there is a basic rational reason for this: DC has chosen to not participate in Comixology Unlimited, and up until DCU launching, did not offer any “unlimited” access to any of its extensive comic catalog. So even a beggar’s feast of 2,500 rotating had some of us salivating!

In a nutshell, paper comics are way too expensive for their transient 12 to 14 minute experience, with 80% of more that one buys being something never to be viewed again (like most TV watched- watch and delete, right? Entertaining, but not to the point of watching 3 times like re-reading a Tolkien trilogy). So there is a growing group that consists of long-time fans such as myself that have long stopped purchasing new Marvel, IDW or Valiant comics and just use the Unlimited versions of comics, just like we don’t buy DVDs anymore.

What’s been super about DCU is: they provide so much more to experience and enjoy than the Unlimited comic sources; things like this Community (and the Discord and Reddit parallel communities), along with the DCU Weekly Book Club, the Friday group viewing parties and after live voice chat Titans viewing discussions, etc, have proven to be way past any user experience I have encountered from the other comic publisher groups!

Icing on the cake? The moderators here are stating that some kind of uplift is coming in the fairly-near future concerning the digital comics selection possibilities!

4 Likes

I think it’s worth mentioning that I didn’t join this service for any one piece of it. I joined it because as a DC fan, I knew it was something I had to have.

5 Likes

@Truth_of_Pisces Seeing as how Marvel Unlimited does EXACTLY that, by providing the ENTIRE library, with newer comics 6 months behind, all for $9.99 a month, it makes perfect sense to me.

3 Likes

I mainly joined for Titans, the movies, and animated shows/movies, and comics. I’m not extremely upset over the lack of selection, but I don’t get why people think that it’s impossible for DC to provide their back catalogue, when their main competitor does exactly that. Marvel Unlimited doesn’t have video content, so if DC would just appease their fans with comics in the same way, they’d be way ahead of everyone else.

4 Likes

No it’s not, that’s kinda how all things work, just cause you didn’t find time to read something doesn’t mean they have to bring it back out. Do you go to Netflix forums and flip out when a show is removed? This is what “rotating” means, it keeps up some series and then takes them down after a period of time. I am tired of reading these posts, if you want the series, buy it or read it when it’s available.

2 Likes

Just chiming in with the disgust with the comics section. I can’t get past having to download each issue to read it to even begin complaining about the poverty of comics.

I have to agree with Don-El. There is a group of people that simply are not willing to pay 3.99 for that 14 minute experience anymore for something that sits in a box collecting dust. There are also those, like myself, that simply can’t afford the cost of ongoing comic series currently. I am on a fixed income while I work to obtain my social work degree, there is more to the story but I’m not looking to overshare. The realities are I can’t pay twice a month at 3.99 for multiple titles when that directly means a bill or something else I need goes away. When I found out about DC Universe app finally coming, I had to budget so I could make sure to get on the annual plan. Also a friend ended up helping me out because they knew I wanted this badly. Without that I wouldn’t be here period. DC wouldn’t be getting my money at all. I still, however, love DC comics. They are my favorite publisher. They have the characters I want to see, but I wouldn’t be able to engage with any content outside of this app for the most part. It makes sense that fans would want comics to stay on longer than 2 weeks at a time, especially popular titles like Death of Superman and Batman: the Long Halloween. I think there is a false assumption that they would lose money on trades, which simply isn’t the case. I am sure there is a rather large group on this app that DC wouldn’t be getting any funds from anyways. This doesn’t mean they don’t love DC, it means they simply can’t afford it right now. There is such a thing as socioeconomic status and poverty. Sorry for the rant, but Don-El got me thinking about this and I have seen so much complaining on the boards I felt best to maybe give some other insights to why people want certain things. I refuse to become the complainers because I love that I am engaging with this app. But I also understand some of the mentality behind some of the complaints, not all, are linked to these issues.

2 Likes