Learning to Love King Kirby

Since last year I’ve been getting into the fourth world a lot more.

1 Like

It was mister miracle by Tom king that got me more into the fourth world

2 Likes

Haven’t picked up Kings MM yet. His Vision series was incredible. Anyone read both for comparison?

1 Like

Kings Mister Miracle is one of DC’s best books in recent years. Just like his Vision was one of Marvels best in recent years.

1 Like

I was blown away by it it really was an incredible series. Probably one of the best books I’ve read. I remember examining the pages in amazement lol

1 Like

I think to understand Kirby, watching the films of Cecil B. DeMille (Ten Commandments, Sunset Blvd, Sampson and Delilah, When World’s Collide, Cleopatra as examples) is useful.

Grandeur, spectacle, bigger than life, epic.
The Fourth World (and Thor, his best work at Marvel, IMO) were bountiful enough to be that epic and Kirby truly has worlds and characters grand enough for such epic treatments. He wrote and drew spectacle better than anyone. So bold.

1 Like

My gateway to Kirby was Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen. I was a big fan of the “triangle era” growing up…the days when the Superman family of titles were essentially a weekly comic created by four separate teams of artists and writers. So much of the Jimmy Olsen stuff…from Intergang to the Cadmus Project had its roots in Kirby’s work that I felt a connection to it that was far stronger than I had to any of his Marvel stuff brilliant as it was

@Southpark Kings Mister Miracle had a big impact on me. Despite how crazy the concept of New Gods and the Fourth World is, King made it extremely grounded and relatable. The idea that Darkseid represents everything that holds us back mentally from moving forward in our lives, Scott Free suffering from anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, having only his love for Barda as positivity in his life. And Scotts struggle to find purpose in life.

1 Like

And it all stems from what Kirby started when he created the Fourth World.

1 Like

Desade you comparison reminds me of the scene with Cleo in the triumph parade in Rome. Huge, blowout spectacular, bigger than life,thousands of extras. That’s Apocalypse.