:superman: League of Super-Pets Discussion Thread (Spoilers) :ttns_gif_krypto:

If I felt that way, I’d have already wasted 12 bucks on Thor :smiley:

5 Likes

Better to have spent $12 in the name of having decided for yourself though, rather than letting someone else speak for you.

2 Likes

Agree.

I don’t give a ■■■■ what critics think.

Yeah… I just wanted to cuss…

3 Likes

If you regularly go to films marketed for grade schoolers, and you never look at the reviews first, you must tolerate misery very well.

Most DC films, hit or miss, I’m totally glad they exist. This film, the jury was out. It seemed to be essentially The Secret Lives of Pets from 5 years ago, only with super heroes thrown in. I was wondering if I’d regret it ever saw the light of day. So any level of success it achieves, whether that’s critical or financial, helps justify it’s existence.

As of tonight, the reviews for Super-Pets are slightly better than the reviews for Minions and Paws of Fury, so hopefully that trend holds

5 Likes

I actually used to when my two older kids were younger. Now that my youngest is old enough for movie going we may get back into the habit, though the amount of streaming options we have will certainly temper that.

Far as reviews go, seems they work for you as a barometer of what you may or may not like. I find that very often the movies I like get bad reviews (BvS as an example), while ones I don’t enjoy get good reviews (The Batman and Joker as examples). I just don’t trust them as a guide whatsoever.

4 Likes

Where your decision to ignore the revies make sense is when the reviews can’t agree what is right or wrong with the film. “Great voice cast” and “Starry Voice Cast Carries Cutesy Animated Romp” are the headlines for two reviews, but several reviews single out the voice work as the biggest drawback. Same with the CGI animation - some call it great, some call it below average.

Day two’s movie reviews were slightly improved, and I’m betting it will remain the best-reviewed kid’s movie out right now (with the exception of Lightyear, but that will be scarce by this weekend). The kids won’t give a hoot, but a positive review may be what gets Mom or Dad to agree to trudge back to the theater once more this month.

3 Likes

The projected box office for opening weekend keeps dropping - today they are predicting $25 million, where we were hearing $40 million a month ago. That seems directly due to continued demand for Minions, though, not the public’s rejection of Super-Pets

Fortunately, the film’s actual budget seems now be accepted as $90 million, where a figure of $130 million was previously suggested. So that means less income needed to make it profitable for the studio.

So it all comes back to whether kids are recommending it to their friends enough to keep it in theaters through August and September

Also, none of us have seen it yet??

4 Likes

To quote a different animated DC production, “Today’s the day!” :partying_face: :champagne:

After you’ve seen League of Super-Pets, feel free to chit-chat about it here to your heart’s content.

Did you love the movie? Is it cinematic Kibble? Does it purr in spots, yet bite in others?

Also: While you’re welcome to do so if you like, spoilers don’t need to be blurred, given that the title of the thread very clearly states that spoilers are present.

Chat away, as you go “Pup, up and away!” (Krypto’s words, not mine :wink:) for the latest big screen DC adventure!

2 Likes

The Trailer Looks Good!
It Seems Too Be A Pretty Good Movie!
The Movie is Bright!

Kids Should Love It!
Adults Should Love the Movie, Too!
It’s Different!

The Pets Saving Their Owners!
Kids Should Love the Toys Too!
D.C. Has Another Hit On Their Hands!

3 Likes

As a big kid at heart, I’m expecting the toys to be pretty sweet.

It’d be nice to see LOSP toys in physical stores, as so far, I’ve only seen them on Amazon.

3 Likes

Owlman works at a theater and said this happened- One of the screens broke making it mute. They had to give everybody a rerun (he said around 20 people were there).

3 Likes

That’s those Earth 3 theaters for ya.

On Earth Prime, the theaters have laser projection and Dolby Atmos, both of which run flawlessly for every showing. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Based on Friday’s haul, they are thinking it makes 23 million this weekend, which is not terrible, but certainly wouldn’t be good. And they are now saying 89 million is the cost of the film instead of 90 :roll_eyes:

On the up side, Super-Pets got an A- Cinemascore from the audiences. That doesn’t quite equate to an A- in school, but reflects an audience that was plenty satisfied with what they saw.

The other DC films to make an A- were Aquaman, Batman Forever, Man of Steel, The Batman, and Lego Batman

3 Likes

Grades from me and Zontarr Jr.
(we were both happy with the film, overall)

Action
6.5 There’s one long tracking shot of action late in the film that is impressive. Outside of that, no great suspense or excitement coming out of the action scenes
Zontarr Jr. 6 out of 10

Humor
Zontarr Jr. 10 out of 10
7 out of 10 A good belly laugh early on, and then a few more in the closing moments. Not many jokes that are dead on arrival, but also not many that got the everyone laughing at one. Considering we’ve had 3 Lego movies with the JLA, a Teen Titans Go movie and two Secret Lives of Pets movies, this score could easily have been much worse. There’s one Batman moment that feels like Lego Batman territory, but it was effectively pulled off

How film fits w/ DC universe
Zontarr Jr. 5/10 - Krypto’s origin changed though maybe for the better, doubtful orange kryptonite is really a thing
Me: conceptually, 0 out of 10, 7 out of 10 in execution. There’s wisely not that much crossover between the JLA and the pets up until the end, so wasn’t too irritating how things played out. However, changing Wonder Woman’s kangaroo to an insecure pig seems like a miscalculation, probably the film’s biggest mistake

Voices
Me: 9 out of 10 - didn’t understand the complaints in some reviews that the actors weren’t up to it. The voice work seemed just fine to me. There were spots where Ace got so sincere that it was tough to buy Kevin Hart in the role. Kate McKinnon was very good as the villain
Zontarr Jr. 7 out of 10

Animation
Zontarr Jr. 8 out of 10
Me. 7.5 out of 10

Story
Zontarr Jr. 9 out of 10
Me: the basic concept of the film borders on mental bankruptcy, but I thought the story played out fine. Things did started to get boring in the last third of the film, but picked up at the end

What it needed more of:
Zontarr Jr: More screen time for the evil cat, originally thought that would be the main pet villain
Me: More Easter eggs, as well as better defined abilities for some characters (the details never quite gelled for Kate McKinnon’s villain)

Surprises
Zontarr Jr: Lex’s prison break-out, and didn’t expect the events in the end credit scene ( have to stay alllll the way to the end for it)
Me: Attendance was surprisingly sparse, though it is no secret the movie’s success lies more in how many are turning out several weeks from now. A nice surprise was that the theater handed out a free comic upon entry (the same League of Super Pets issue available a couple months ago at Free Comic Day)

6 Likes

Chris Stuckmann’s review:

The complete soundtrack from Watertower Music’s YouTube channel:

3 Likes

Hey, we agree that critics are useful! The comments from critic reviews that you can completely ignore:

“Film is cynical”: found it far, far removed from being cynical. It actually had a couple of effective moving moments

“The voices don’t work”: The voice work was solid. I couldn’t picture beforehand how Dwayne Johnson was going to have this angsty relationship with John Krazinski, but they work well as a duo, and you never have reason to contemplate who is in what role.

“Film is a grab for toys/there’s too many characters”: What’s the last kid CGI movie where there wasn’t potential for toy sales? The number of original characters seemed sparse to me. There was never any confusion based on an abundance of characters

“The jokes are bad”: Compared to what other film out this year? This film was pretty consistently amusing. It mined every joke there was to be had out of this concept, so we won’t be needing any sequels, but it definitely got the job done here. A short interaction between Wonder Woman and the villainous Lulu was one of the funniest moments

“Keanu is great”: He may be, but there’s way less of him in this movie than there was of Will Arnett in Lego I and II

“Perfect for the true DC fan”: It won’t outrage the real DC fan, which is a pleasant surprise. There’s numerous Superman '78 references, but that’s the bulk of the “inside baseball”. Clark looks a lot like Tyler Hoechlin in one scene, but not sure that qualifies. I must admit, though, I wouldn’t be in a position to pick up on Green Lantern references.

Bottom line is this movie earns a spot on your Blu-ray shelf. It appeals primarily to younger viewers, but it is easier to sit through for adults than most CGI kid films.

4 Likes

Just came back. Kids had a blast. Few chuckles, exciting action, a couple of heartflelt moments, and good animation. Squarely made for kids, while keeping the adult DC crowd amused throughout. Wonder Pig was a hit with the girls, while Chip was my son’s favorite. For me, I loved the dynamic between Krypto and Ace; like DC/WB finally made a World’s Finest movie, except it’s not Clark & Bruce :slightly_smiling_face:.

Good times. If you have kids, take ‘em!

5 Likes

I went to it couple of hours ago and here are my thoughts,
firstly I pretty much ignore critics where kids (and teen for that matter) movies are concerned
I really liked it granted I am easy to please, I liked the dynamic with all the animals. Krypto as the high-energy dog with separation anxiety was cute (i dogsit and several times i thought i know that dog) . also, baby Clark and Krypto were adorable. I
loved ace’s whole thing, especially making him a lockpicker/escape artists early on kinda like bats with no powers(expected that to pay off more tbh) I thought they got a good balance of ace’s waaaaay too many origin stories (he has like three at this point DC pick one and stick to it)
the jokes were funny, much better than portrayed in the trailer
things I did not like there is no jumpa I know with the story they wrote a space alien kangaroo wouldn’t work but they made chip a squirell so come
on

besides that I was pleased also for GL refrences when Jessica mentioned a dog lantern anyone think that was G’nort? cause he’s the main dog-like alien i could think of

5 Likes

Exactly! We should have gotten Jumpa!
Or failing that at least Long Ears, Dianas other pet

4 Likes

As Triumph The Insult Comic Dog would say “Yeah…for me to poop on!” :grin:

I like Stuckmann’s reviews because unlike 99% of the “experts” who talk movies on YouTube, he isn’t an annoying jackass. He’s humble, fun, knows his stuff and he has a burgeoning filmmaking career, which I will absolutely be following as I wish him the best.

I’ll check the “all of them” box. :wink:

Sequel. :sunglasses:

3 Likes