Last Chance & Coming Soon titles - The New Teen Titans (1980)

This is insane. I guess I’m not reading New Teen Titans then because there’s no I’m going to have time to get through 20 issues by Monday at this point. Please stop this. I read comics to relax, not to be a chore. Please offer an unlimited comics option. Your fans are clearly in favor of it and most of us even said we would be fine with paying more to have that option.

6 Likes

Very much agree with Petey. This feels like homework or a threat. “Better read this now and drop everything since we’ll be yanking this away! LOL”

I’m sure most people want to be able to read at your own pace. Because DC owns these comics, I compare it to Netflix original shows. Shows they license from other studios or channels may get removed every now and then (but they’re never on the service for just a few weeks, usually years), but Netflix-produced shows never leave. So if I never jumped on the Orange is the New Black train back in 2012, I can certainly do so now. Should be the same with this service.

Not cool, DC. Not cool :persevere:

7 Likes

I have been reading The New Teen Titans because I felt forced into it because of this limited time run. I am a full-time student, in my last year of my masters. I noticed the first few weeks I was having fun with the app because I was jumping around from series to series reading things I wanted to test out or see if I liked. You see, I never got the chance to read a lot of these books cause I am on a fixed income. Also for awhile I was homeless. I would have to hunt down almost 6 years of comics to be caught up. I did get to read infinite Crisis during that time, which I still have my copies of, but can you imagine how hard it was to get those? I was enjoying getting to explore the DC universe in a way that I hadn’t been able to previously. Reading about characters I never would have been able to. Heck talking none stop to friends about the books I finally had the opportunity to check out. I was ecstatic! I noticed when I started worrying about trying to get through the limited runs that I would legitimately want to read at some point, the fun and joy of this site has greatly waned for me. It started with Death of Superman and continues now into The New Teen Titans. I gave up on Death because of the announcement of the limited Titans run. I am only on issue 12 and now realizing I may not get through the last 8 issues before you remove them. Comics were always a means to relax and escape. Disconnect from the world around me and not have to think about my realities. Escapism! As it stands right now, this being forced to try to marathon books is taking away any and all joy for the service. I want to like this service and use it for escapism. I really hope the big wigs start listening. Right now it feels like it is falling on deaf ears.

12 Likes

I work and have a 2 year old. There is no way I can read over 500 pages in 2 weeks before they disappear on here. I’m starting to regret getting a year service.

4 Likes

@nymdel.28708 Maybe misrepresented is the wrong word. But this is not the service all of the marketing, DC-hosted demos, and reviews led me to believe I would receive. That’s probably on me and my excitement that DC would finally be offering a comic book service of some kind, as I have always been a DC fan, and assumed that DC would want to compete with the other house, and have been anticipating a service similar to Marvel Unlimited for nearly a decade. I am incredibly disappointed that DC clearly has no intention of having a service similar to that. When I was a Marvel Unlimited subscriber, from its beginning to just last year, having access to all those comics actually led to me buying more comics in the direct market. There are characters and books that I would never know I liked if not for that level of access to them, and it expanded my interest in their books. But at heart, I am a DC fan. The DC universe is just more rich and compelling for me. I know for the decision makers here, this is all about money. I believe that if DC gives more to their fans on this service, it will translate to more purchases. Maybe their data crunchers have evidence to the contrary, but I doubt it. I guarantee you Marvel has that data; they wouldn’t have kept their unlimited service up for so long, if it wasn’t a profitable, brand enhancing endeavor.

7 Likes

Be more transparent. Clearly indicate what titles are added and which are leaving soon on the front page of the comics section. Explain why you are rotating the comics and how we benefit from that. Because it is very unclear. Given the money invested in the TV series it can’t be a money issue - keeping a dozen teen titans comics on the app indefinitely surely won’t break the bank.

1 Like

If you absolutely have to rotate comics out, what if there was a way to add books to like a virtual spinner rack for each account. Like everyone gets 20-30 books at a time that they can save for later, that way if they start a run and it gets rotated out they can finish it when they have time before its gone.

2 Likes

Would be nice to get some feedback from dc. Either this is the long term plan or changes are definitely being strongly considered. Considering the lack of response I honestly would be shocked by a change. There is the potential for a great service here but it’s starting to look like dc may drop the ball when they should be trying to blow their competition l out of the park here.

6 Likes

Or could there be some type of licensing issues that restrict leaving comics up for more than a short period of time? Otherwise having them up for just a few days isn’t making much sense to me.

1 Like

@eagle-novels, rest assured, as we evolve and change the platform, you will be getting updates. The wheels are large and thus turn a bit more slowly than is ideal, but we hear your feedback and are sending it to the folks in charge.

10 Likes

@Applejack Thank you, BTW! You have been the most present moderator and have done a good job of keeping us informed and making many of us feel like the feedback has value. Glad you are here.

3 Likes

@applejack. Thanks for the response. It’s great that to hear that our feedback is being listened to by the folks in charge.

1 Like

Stopping just before Judah’s Contract starts is a sure fire way to upset your subscribers. This just reeks of an attempt to get people to purchase Judas Contract after reading everything up to that storyline and then several years worth after it. This is very frustrating. The extremely short rotation makes it even worse that you are not including it. Judas Contract is 42-44 and Annual 3 of Tales of the Teen Titans. Including issue 41 of Tales of the Teen Titans makes it very obvious this was done on purpose. The only way to get this to change is to cancel the service. That can’t happen for me for over a year, and may not happen if the TV shows are valuable, but what I won’t do is buy Judas Contract separately.

7 Likes

Why have titles leave at all? If you are paying for a premium service…shouldn’t all the archives be accessible?

9 Likes

Can you say if the continuation of the Judas Contract will be coming after 41? It is cruddy that THATS where the issues stop. Can we expect to see those in a couple weeks as well? I’m a first time reader of this series and really hope I’ll be able to read them!!

Luckily I have a lot of free time this weekend and planned on reading these books. However, not a lot of people have that kind of free time. It would be nice if the books stayed while adding new books. This would be a huge incentive for people to subscribe to the service.

7 Likes

Very disappointed! I was so looking forward to rereading the Teen Titans of the 80’s, a blast from my youth. I find out today that that will not be possible. Management need to realize that subscribers are real people with real jobs. I don’t have the time or will to visit everyday, nor do I have unlimited hours to spend when I do. I paid for my year. That is how long DC has to fix this issue, I recommend you go and take a look at your esteemed competition. Having a ton of content available to read on demand will only sell more product in the long run and no one wants to start with issue 32 when it is so easy to make a full run available.

18 Likes

I am going to struggle to read up to issue 20 in time and I keep saying it because I find it bordering on inexcusable you don’t do it… they need to mark in the listing for the comic when something is about to go down. I don’t like having to hunt for it and if DC Universe can do it for the movies and TV they should be able to do it for the comics.

As for the rotation… I think this is way too short especially for people who didn’t already read the first 12 issues before knowing this. They need to stay up at least a month if not longer. I don’t like having a ticking clock that I may not even be warned is ticking down.

5 Likes

And I also just noticed the next wave… that is more then 1 comic a day. I realize that it takes about 20 minutes to read an issue, but again, it is rediculous it doesn’t even add up to 1 issue a day. That is not reasonable to people who can’t read them constantly.

8 Likes

I’m just gonna reinforce what has already been said because this is a major issue effecting this site. There should never be comics removed from the site, but only added. I’m sure I’m not the only one who knows of free sites where one can read DC comics, present as well as dating back to the golden age. I would prefer to pay for that kind of opportunity cause the producers deserve to be compensated for there work. But, if this site can’t, or won’t provide that then there are plenty of fans that are highly likely to be driven to those free sites, therefore severely cutting into the profit margin of this site.

13 Likes