[Lantern Corps] Green Lantern (2021) - Annual 1

Greetings @LanternCorps!

This series of posts is to discuss the latest issues of Green Lantern. The issue can be read here.

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. What was your favorite part?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. What did you think of Jessica Cruz as a yellow lantern?

Previous issue’s discussion can be found here

2 Likes

That’s tough. There were a lot of great panels in this issue. I think the Lyssa-Jess battle would be top though. Lyssa is just such an interesting character.*
totally biased because Blackest Night is the best

I mean, it was on the cover, but I’m still surprised Jess is wearing the Sinestro uniform. Adding on that she beat 3 other members with no ring is just crazy.

Didn’t think I would like it, but it’s actually really interesting. I love how they are explaining how the yellow rings work. I always wondered how fear powered rings. With other corps, it’s the user’s emotion that’s the key, but Sinestro’s corps always appear to work by inflicting fear rather than the wearer being afraid. Hope to see more of it.

1. What was your favorite part?

I think it would be Hal and Jessica teaming up. Even when they were both on the Justice League when she had the Power Ring, it was rare that we really saw the two interact, so that was kinda cool to see, even under these strange circumstances.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

It wasn’t anything specifically I saw so much as what we didn’t see. I thought it was odd that we didn’t really see the fight that was mentioned to take down the SC members at the GL outpost. I get that there are only so many pages for the story they wanted to tell, but you would think the first moment that she puts on the ring would be kind of important to see.

1. What did you think of Jessica Cruz as a yellow lantern?

I’m a little mixed on the idea. On one hand, there is a practical sense to it – there are little to no working GL rings, so if she expects to keep going as her job as a hero/lantern, a yellow ring works just as well. Not to mention, she can keep an eye on the Sinestro Corps and try to stop things if they go too far.

On the other hand…seeing her wearing a yellow ring feels a bit like a step back, when you remember that she first started of with the Power Ring from Earth 3, a ring that was based on fear.

I guess we’ll just have to see how it fares out in execution.

1 Like