[Lantern Corps] Brightest Day - Week 5 [12/07 - 12/14]

Greetings @LanternCorps!

We’re reading through Brightest Day. The plan is to read 3 or 4 issues a week. Please avoid spoiling anything from issues beyond this week. If you missed last week, you can check it out here

The issues for this week are:

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. How do you like Cyborg Superman?
3 Likes

Okay so the whole Alpha lantern thing is creepy and as they mentioned after the whole manhunters ordeal it just seems like a weird choice even if they are part or were originally organic. I dug this story really just felt like one issue but I guess I would have to say the last for my favorite plus 2nd half of #51 once Boodikka snaps out of it. My GL & Corps knowledge is sad and if it’s not part of a different title most likely I haven’t read much with them. I really like this Boodikka lantern though and hope there’s some older issues with her prior to the whole Alpha thing. Good little story. Every time I start to feel sad for Hank he goes and does some dick move like he does here and makes me go “Yeah F that guy.” :laughing:

2 Likes

Probably 51. Hannu’s entrance was great.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

Didn’t expect Soranik to be able to “cure” an Alpha. Even Ganthet was having doubts and struggling with it.

1. How do you like Cyborg Superman?

Not familiar with his back story, so I’m glad that was included. He’s got a bit of a “I see where you are coming from, but no” motivation.

2 Likes

As Aquamon said, it’s hard to say since they all build on each other to tell the same story so well.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

I think I’d go with Cyborg Superman being there during Blackest Night and his encounter with Nekron being the impetus of him creating this scheme with the Alpha Lanterns to become mortal again. It’s a bit of a retcon, but it seems to work well enough why the other heroes maybe wouldn’t have noticed Cyborg Superman flying around.

1. How do you like Cyborg Superman?

He’s a decent villain – he’s a good mix of evil, but with a human core who you can understand in terms of his warped and destructive issues. I will say that I honestly like the New 52 version of Cyborg Superman better – the different identity that version has, without spoiling things for anyone who doesn’t know and is curious, I think is far more interesting than a Mister Fantastic analogue.

2 Likes