[Lantern Corps] Brightest Day - Week 10 [1/11 - 1/18]

Greetings @LanternCorps!

We’re reading through Brightest Day. The plan is to read 3 or 4 issues a week. Please avoid spoiling anything from issues beyond this week. If you missed last week, you can check it out here

The issues for this week are:

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. Do you think this first Green Arrow issue was a good start for the new series?
3 Likes

I thought all the issues we’re good this week. If I had to pick, probably Titans. The Lex/Deathstroke team seems crazy. How to see more of it.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

Was not expecting the bodyguard to be done kinda shapeshifting killer. Not sure why the lack of heat signature wasn’t a dead giveaway of the Cheshire clone.

1. Do you think this first Green Arrow issue was a good start for the new series?

I think so. It didn’t expect you to know anything going into it, and it’s got some interesting setups that I’m curious to see play out.

Definitely Green Arrow – which is extremely surprising because it’s based on one of the worst Justice League stories ever written in Cry for Justice, and it’s from the same writer of one of the worst Green Arrow family books I ever read, which is Rise of Arsenal.

But…Oliver comes of very well, actually decently written, the situation with the mysterious, Lost-like forest and the hint of his “Merry Men” sound pretty neat. This goes from a story I was kind of dreading to read to something I’m actually interested in.

As for Titans…eh. Okay, here’s the thing: I think Wallace here is trying to do a sort of Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy style of story, where you deal with the exploits of explicitly horrible people doing horrible things. But he seems to think you just have them do horrible things and it’ll work and doesn’t realize that the horrible people also have to be interesting. Factor that with a bland assassination plot I’ve seen hundreds of times and it was just a snorefest.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

In Green Arrow, it was surprising hearing the names Isabel Rochev and Walter Steele as part of the Queen Industries plot – since soon after this story those characters would play key roles in the first season of the Arrow TV series. I didn’t realize they were from the comics or they came in so soon before.

1. Do you think this first Green Arrow issue was a good start for the new series?

I think so – I mean, it doesn’t explain everything that happened before, but it gives enough so that someone new can have an interesting hook to want to keep going.

1 Like