[Lantern Corps] Blackest Night - Week 5 [6/29 - 7/06]

Greetings @LanternCorps!

We’re reading through Blackest Night. The plan is to read 3 or 4 issues a week. Please avoid spoiling anything from issues beyond this week. If you missed last week, you can check it out here

The issues for this week are:

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. With the corps fighting each other, did you have a favorite match-up?
3 Likes

I enjoyed the Sinestro v. Sapphire battle. Was interesting to see backstory with Sinestro and Abin Sur. I’m not sure how much of the Abin Sur story happened before Blackest Night started so I’ll avoid mentioning details, but when I read it the first time it answered a lot of questions and did an excellent job cranking up the suspense.

Salaak stepping up and ordering around the Alpha Lanterns was great to see. Plus Guy fighting a fly. Good stuff.

5 Likes

@GL-Batophobia I agree that Salaak looked and acted way cooler than I thought he could. Guess you shouldn’t underestimate a Green Lantern.
I also got a little more sympathy and respect for Carol Farris. Still a crazy lady.
And another Bill Sienkiewicz variant! The Batman series is worth it for those covers alone.

4 Likes

The chop sticks were a nice touch! Haha!

2 Likes

I loved how Tomasi writes Batman and Robin. I think :thinking: he gets it. They think Bruce is gone for good. We as readers know different, but they are still are working it out. Morrison layered the characters out there in Batman & Robin after Batman RIP and Final Crisis where he killed the Batman. Now this happens to the Bat Family, it is pure happiness to me.

2 Likes

I can’t decide which is my favorite part this week. I really enjoyed the Carol/Sinestro interaction this week. Hal is my favorite Lantern, and watching the 2nd and 3rd most important people in his life go at it physically and verbally, was highly entertaining to me. I loved it when she told him, “I’ve never been a good girl”!
Next, watching the Orange Lanterns become reanimated Black Lanterns was excellent. I wouldn’t call it fear, but the look of…concern on Larfleezes face as his corps members surround him is priceless.

Seeing Salaak put the Alpha Lanterns in their place was also a high light this week. He’s usually so subdued and to see him have the burst of emotion was great! And in my personal opinion, F the Alpha Lanterns.
Now to my last favorite part this week, the Batman issue just bugged me. Having Dick running around as Batman feels like a dream. You look at it and you see what you’re supposed to see, but in the back of your mind, you know that something just ain’t right. That is the feeling I always get when i read this era of Batman.
Overall, l loved the developments this week and again,look forward to the coming weeks.

PS #Paneloftheweek

2 Likes

Loved Guy with the Miyagi chopsticks.

ScalyWelloffIndianspinyloach-size_restricted

Best Storyline Kyle and Jade.

3 Likes
  1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?

Again, I may have to tip my hat to Batman because of how they deep dived into some of the Z-list villains like King Snake and the Terror Twins, but I did like the other books too.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

I forgot about the cool moment of Barbara saving Gordon with the help of Deadman at the wheel.

1. With the corps fighting each other, did you have a favorite match-up?

Like @GL-Batophobia mentioned, I really liked the whole Carol vs Sinestro fight, as well as Salek taking control.

One bit that I didn’t remember at all was the Star Sapphire helping the Sinestro Corps member in saving her “children.” Even as expanded as the GL line was at the time, I don’t remember them really ever expanding on the other Corps outside of how the GLs interacted with them, so that was pretty cool to see.

2 Likes