[Lantern Corps] Blackest Night - Week 17 [9/21 - 9/28]

Greetings @LanternCorps!

We’re reading through Blackest Night. The plan is to read 3 or 4 issues a week. Please avoid spoiling anything from issues beyond this week. If you missed last week, you can check it out here

The issues for this week are:

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. Do you agree with all the new corps recruits?
3 Likes

I liked how well the issues flowed together this week. Also a big fan of the reference to this classic cover:

I’ve always been a fan of John Stewart from the cartoons. It’s interesting to me how he seemed to figure out the Black Lantern plans pretty easily when everyone else seemed to struggle. Guess that just shows how well his planning and willpower go together.

The Blackest Night issue this week is probably my favorite single issue of any comic. I remember the first time reading it and getting so excited when the new recruits were chosen. Like, seriously? Scarecrow with a yellow ring is not only a perfect match but also terrifying. And having Lex join Larfleeze just makes you wonder how the Orange corps will handle two members.

As for the Arrow/Canary issue, I understand it a lot better after watching all the Arrow episodes. The Ollie/Dinah dynamic is complicated, but has a lot of emotion with it. The portrayal of Canary goes a long way to show the betrayal she feels when learning of Ollie’s past relationships.

3 Likes

Yeah. Probably Green Arrow and Canary. Loved watching Ollie’s internal fight against himself.

I don’t know if it was surprising but The guardian duplicating rings was cool. I liked seeing who they chose. Mera for Rage was most surprising.

Yeah. Agree with them all. Other than Mera there were no better choices and I guess I can’t think of anyone for rage better that her. Just glad to see that she and Atom are in the thick of it all. Along with Barry they’ve been in it from the git go.

1 Like
  1. Did you have a favorite issue this week?

I’m torn, because there’s some pretty good issues all around here. I might have to tip it to the issue of the main event as it most progressed the story along. I did like the others for being intense character studies of both John Stewart and Oliver Queen.

1. Was anything surprising to see?

The big thing with the new corps members was something I remembered. The only thing that was “surprising” for me was Ollie calling Mia a “lolita,” which was less of a good surprise and more of an “ew” surprise. Though to be fair that was likely the intent.

1. Do you agree with all the new corps recruits?

Yeah, the new members were all pretty sound choices. The Atom seems like an odd fit for compassion, but then I guess it fits about as well as it would for any superhero.

1 Like