Kamandi

has anyone read the Kamandi challenge? If so opinions either way would be helpful. I love him as I do all Kirby characters but heard pretty much half & half as far as if it’s worth reading. If it helps i’am a fan and knowledgeable about his character?

1 Like

I read 6 of the 12 issues. I loved the first issues, but for me the plot started getting repetitive and losing steam as it went along. If I recall correctly, each issue had a different author, which was a cool approach because the storytelling had a different flair in each issue. I probably will finish the remaining 6.

3 Likes

Give it a whirl, why not? If you think it stinks, there’s always the original Kamandi series to fall back on.

Rao Bless The King!

4 Likes

Isn’t the Challenge series about one writer trying to trap the other writers with their cliffhanger? That was my impression. It sounds like a fun idea until you realize that the possibilities in a comic book universe are so limitless that no impossible to escape situation is really that impossibly to escape.

1 Like

The Tom King issue is the only one I’ve read. I think that’s number nine. That issue was great. No clue about the rest, though.

1 Like

Thank u peeps. Yes @BatWatch that was exactly the deal. Writers switched up trying to stick the previous in a cliffhanger. Otherwise, if it was Kamandi I would’ve just read it. I just wasn’t sure about that approach & since I’m literally in the 1 place where I can get intelligent feedback on all things DC figured I’d check. JLWWSM I’m a fan of comics switching art styles so that’s a bonus, @Vroom, you’re right, worst case I don’t feel it & hit the original series. Thanks EVERYONE.

3 Likes

I’m going to give it a try in the next couple weeks.

1 Like

If you’re read Kirbys original run there are some cool winks and nods in the challenge.I have the entire original run and the challenge and am (obviously!) a huge Kamandi fan. The challenge was entertaining but pretty disjointed. Still if your are a true Great Disaster fan you will want to read it. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Nice I’ll do the original 1st then. I read it in pieces so long ago I literally don’t remember it. Plus I didn’t even come close to reading em all. I just grabbed whatever I could from the library out of order, definitely not the way I wanted to read em. I’m looking forward to both now that I got em all in 1 spot.

1 Like

So I read be Kamandi Challenge Special and the first two
Issues of Kamandi Challenge. Forced to make a call on it at this point, I’d give it a reluctant thumbs down.

The best thing about Kamandi Challenge is the way you get to see lots of different creative teams work on the character. The worst thing about Kamandi Challenge is the way you have to see lots of different creative teams work on the character.

The problem is that I enjoyed some takes and disliked others. I have more to say but don’t feel like getting into it. Fun concept. Some good stories. Some bad. The bad is more worse than the good is great.

1 Like

@BatWatch
Read issue 9. It’s pretty standalone and it’s wonderful.

2 Likes

BatWatch

No go for u huh? I’ll do original Kirbys, he is my number 1 all time. Don’t get a nickname

like the King w/o earning it. Then I’ll do Challenge & see how it goes. Thanks for

feedback tho, appreciate it.

2 Likes

BatWatch52

I’ll read it. Thank u for taking the time to deliver a must read to me. I love it.

I WILL read it, word is bond.

2 Likes

For me, the OG stories in the Special from Kirby were pretty good. I’m very confused as to why they included the first issue second in the special though. Also, the random issue 35 or whatever that started the special seemed like a random choice. It was fine but odd to come into the middle of a story. Then the previously unpublished stories were added in the special and I did not care for them at all. Either the stories were too depended on knowledge of precious story lines for me to appreciate or they were just plain too wacky. Either way, I found them a dreadfully mind-numbing slog.

The first half of the first issue of Challenge 1 was mostly bad. I enjoyed aspects like the art design, but the story itself was confusing and lacked the charm of the original. I really don’t have any idea what happened which is a poor choice for a first issue. There was the distractingly large plot hole that Kamandi kept talking throughout the first thirty pages and yet they act like it’s only a particularly big deal at page 30. It’s not like it’s hard to notice the animal is conversing. Just a bad choice. Also didn’t care for the protagonist saying everything he thinks out loud to himself throwback.

I did enjoy the latter half of issue one a bit more. I felt the world and characters had more character and I became briefly invested.

Tomasi’s work in the second issue was just fine. I didn’t feel much of anything towards it either way.

I don’t hate anything but those two unpublished issues, but those were terrible and too much of the rest was underwhelming.

I hear King’s issue is something special. I might have to check it out. I might one day finish the series too. I don’t hate it. I just don’t like it very much but I am still curious. I like the premise and especially appreciated that you get to see the solution previous writers had for the challenge. It just struggle in execution.

1 Like

BatWatch

Thank u for the info. I’m doing the originals right now, since I as informed there’s some nods in Challenge from it. Appreciate the heads up’s from ya.